Purchsed via comparison site with lots of middlemen - is Plevin applicable

Hi,

I bought PPI a few years ago. It was a deliberate purchase. However I read about Plevin in the article and wonder if that might have applied.

I was going through my emails. The email chain is confusing as a few companies were involved, and they try to mask who they're from. From what I can tell:

I got a quote on CompareTheMarket (which is a trading name for BISL)
The quotes seem to be supplied by a company called Assured Futures (email was from noreply@assuredfutures.co.uk but using CompareTheMarket branding)
I applied for one and got an email from Family Insurance Services, but the email header source shows this was from a chap at Assured Futures again)

My application was forwarded to Realm Protection
The actual insurance was supplied by Trent Services

So, how many middlemen is that? Presumably they all take a cut. Unless they're all the same company with different trading names.

I don't recall anyone saying what the commission was being applied to each layer of middleman.

Am I barking up the wrong tree or should I do a PPI claim? And who would it go to?

Cheers,
Rob.

Comments

• r.o.b
    r.o.b Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Using Companies House to try and see what these companies are.

CompareTheMarket is BISL, a company in Peterborough

Assured Futures and Family Insurance Services are the same, based in Witney
    Realm Protection is registered in London
    Trent Services is based in Cirencester, who had the actual policy

All very odd. I'll have to check who I actually paid - I think it was Realm Protection, but I guess AssuredFutures and CompareTheMarket got referral fees.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thank you for your contribution to the forum.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    However I read about Plevin in the article and wonder if that might have applied.

it doesnt.
    I don't recall anyone saying what the commission was being applied to each layer of middleman.

That is because there are no rules that require it.
    Am I barking up the wrong tree

yes.
    or should I do a PPI claim? And who would it go to?

You would complain to yourself as you bought it. it was not sold to you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Plevin is only relevant when the PPI is bought alongside a credit agreement, because the ruling relates to the Consumer Credit Act, which obviously will not apply if you bought PPI as a stand alone product.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    ~Brock~ wrote: »
    Plevin is only relevant when the PPI is bought alongside a credit agreement, because the ruling relates to the Consumer Credit Act, which obviously will not apply if you bought PPI as a stand alone product.

That's absolutely the answer.

The Plevin ruling relates to a failure to disclose large commissions on PPI policies thus making the relationship between a lender and the borrower unfair under section 140A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

No lender. No Plevin.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    ... and it is the amendment to section 140a in the 2006 act (which was effective in 2008) that Plevin relied on. This is why debts/credit facility needs to exist at that time and not be repaid/closed earlier than that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • r.o.b
    r.o.b Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

Thanks Brock and antrobus for your answers, you were both very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure