More people now subscribe to video streaming services than pay TV - MSE News

The number of UK subscriptions to streaming services like Netflix has overtaken those to traditional pay TV for the first time, new research from the communications watchdog has found...
Read the full story:
'More people now subscribe to video streaming services than pay TV'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Totally believe this. The absolute dross broadcast by the BBC/ITV is hammering nails in their own coffin. I come home and when I'm good and ready I'll turn the firetv on and enjoy some amazing drama such as the looming tower or Bosch whilst happily missing the moron fest that is BBC1.

The beeb has raced to the bottom to meet the needs of the lowest common denominator. Reap what you sow auntie. Cash in the attic !!!!!!.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Interesting as it shows what people are prepared to pay to watch. This is a klaxon alarm for the BBC re licence model, its a pity they won't embrace modern thinking and still insist on being paid even when their service isn't being used.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Totally believe this. The absolute dross broadcast by the BBC/ITV is hammering nails in their own coffin. I come home and when I'm good and ready I'll turn the firetv on and enjoy some amazing drama such as the looming tower or Bosch whilst happily missing the moron fest that is BBC1.

The beeb has raced to the bottom to meet the needs of the lowest common denominator. Reap what you sow auntie. Cash in the attic !!!!!!.
    Good bit of propaganda, but given the comparison in the article and the OFCOM report is between streaming and pay TV like Sky, or Virgin Media, ranting on about the BBC and ITV is irrelevant.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Ok, so here's a question. If I don't use a streaming service for a whole month I still get charged. Apart from cancelling, is there anyway I could get a refund for this unwatched month?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • littleboo
    littleboo Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    You wouldn’t get a refund in you cancelled, you would just not be charged in future. If you don’t want to pay when you’re not watching, then you want a pay as you watch model,.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 19 July 2018 at 3:20PM
    Good bit of propaganda, but given the comparison in the article and the OFCOM report is between streaming and pay TV like Sky, or Virgin Media, ranting on about the BBC and ITV is irrelevant.

I was thinking the same.

Part of Sky etc 's problem is that people have to buy the basic package, which includes a number of channels with just repeats, before being able to access films. (I refuse to use the US term 'movies')
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

Fair point, my bad.

Not a rant but if I had a choice of paying £79 per annum for Prime or Paying for the BBC I would happily not bother with the BEEB. As I imagine a huge part of the population would to. I got rid of VM and went Freeview a few years ago.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Lots of totally free stuff on YouTube. Use an adblocker and no adverts at all. Try log cabins, furniture making, car mechanics.
    Live in the real world, see how it works.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So confused with the article.

I pay for both, I have Now TV and often watch live TV from it.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I got rid of VM and went Freeview a few years ago.

How long would Freeview last without the BBC?

'As there is no financial relationship with consumers, what is the business model?

We do not make profit but we are shareholder-owned by the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Arqiva, a B2B organisation that owns the [digital transmission] networks. The fifth shareholder is Sky, which has been on the board since inception.

For the likes of ITV and Channel 4, they effectively make more money on a Freeview home than they do on a pay TV platform, mainly because they have a better share of channels. They get more eyeballs and more ad revenue, which is why they invest in the platform. The BBC doesn’t make money but it also wants viewers.'

https://www.marketingweek.com/2015/09/30/freeview-qa-1-october/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport