Back dated CSA

My parents broke up when I was 2 and I haven’t seen my mum since. She paid maintenance for a few months but stopped. The CSA tried to get it after this and couldn’t. My Dad tried to use the service until I was 18 but still no money. Can I try to get this for him now? I’m 30.

Comments

• jimd-f
    jimd-f Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    if there is still an open case then CMS should still try to pursue any arrears that are still due. it will be up to your father to pursue this, not you. you could get your father to let you become his representative -you need him to write in- and then you could deal with CMS on his behalf.
    first thing is to establish if the case is still open, and then how much the arrears are.
    the problem is that CMS may not be able to find her (because she remarried, moved abroad etc) and unless you can offer them some information like a new name or address they will not undertake more than a cursory check for her as they are not an investigating agency.
    assuming there is still an open case, and that CMS are able to find her, they still have to find her money, so if she is a housewife with no income of her own you still may be unable to get any money.
    because of the age of the debt some, or all, of it may be legally unenforceable adding further problems.

so, check there is still a case, and if not there is nothing further you can do.
  • Thank you! I will get my dad to call and check. I know her name and where she works. My dad hasn’t asked me to do this I just feel he is entitled to it. I’ve tried fro make contact her numerous times and she has blocked me. I know she has a very good job and my dad struggled my whole life until o got older, working many jobs. Thank you for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure