Will my car fail an MOT for this?

purplestar133
purplestar133 Posts: 1,731 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
I've noticed my rear reg plate is fading in colour. When parked up next to other cars the yellow of mine is much lighter than others. The dealer I bought the car from put the plate on. Would this mean the car would fail the MOT?

Another problem I have is the glass in one of my wing mirrors is cracked. I can still see out of it so it's still perfectly usable to me but I'm not sure it would be classed that way in an MOT?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've noticed my rear reg plate is fading in colour. When parked up next to other cars the yellow of mine is much lighter than others. The dealer I bought the car from put the plate on. Would this mean the car would fail the MOT?

Another problem I have is the glass in one of my wing mirrors is cracked. I can still see out of it so it's still perfectly usable to me but I'm not sure it would be classed that way in an MOT?

Which mirror? If it's the drivers one then it will fail and you commit an offence every time you drive.
    If it's the passenger one then do you have a mirror in the car?
  • purplestar133
    Which mirror? If it's the drivers one then it will fail and you commit an offence every time you drive.
    If it's the passenger one then do you have a mirror in the car?

It's the passenger one. I have a rear view mirror in the car - is that what you mean?
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The plate may or may not be a problem - it's a subjective decision by the tester whether it's "excessively" deteriorated but, as a general rule, if it can still be read easily it's unlikely to fail.

With the mirror, it again depends on whether the tester considers it "slightly damaged" or "excessively damaged" and whether it's an "obligatory mirror".

Assuming your car is newer than Aug 1978 the obligatory mirrors are driver's side external (wing or door mounted) and one other - could be internal or could be passenger external. Any extra mirrors beyond those two aren't tested.

In the explanatory notes the tester is told to check that all obligatory mirrors provide "an adequate view of the road".

So, a single crack that still allows it to be used effectively is likely to be seen as "slight" damage and not fail, a spiders web of cracks that makes the road behind look like some psychedelic hippie trip will probably be excessive.
  • purplestar133
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    The plate may or may not be a problem - it's a subjective decision by the tester whether it's "excessively" deteriorated but, as a general rule, if it can still be read easily it's unlikely to fail.

With the mirror, it again depends on whether the tester considers it "slightly damaged" or "excessively damaged" and whether it's an "obligatory mirror".

Assuming your car is newer than Aug 1978 the obligatory mirrors are driver's side external (wing or door mounted) and one other - could be internal or could be passenger external. Any extra mirrors beyond those two aren't tested.

In the explanatory notes the tester is told to check that all obligatory mirrors provide "an adequate view of the road".

So, a single crack that still allows it to be used effectively is likely to be seen as "slight" damage and not fail, a spiders web of cracks that makes the road behind look like some psychedelic hippie trip will probably be excessive.

Thank you. Well, you can still read the plate it's only the yellow that is noticeably faded.

My driver side external mirror and internal rear view mirror are fine, but I suppose it might be worth getting the passenger one replaced. Is it possible to get just the glass replaced and do you know roughly how much I can expect to pay for that? It's a 2014 Fiesta.
  • F1F93
    F1F93 Posts: 366 Forumite
    Thank you. Well, you can still read the plate it's only the yellow that is noticeably faded.

My driver side external mirror and internal rear view mirror are fine, but I suppose it might be worth getting the passenger one replaced. Is it possible to get just the glass replaced and do you know roughly how much I can expect to pay for that? It's a 2014 Fiesta.

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?zygonManPartNum=SR958&zygonPrice=0&zygonId=14716797&zygonArticleNum=690523&zygonGenericCode=000000&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165681&productId=1035789&storeId=10001

Fitting is a DIY job, plenty of YouTube tutorials.
    Whilst you're there, take along your logbook and get a rear number plate done for about 13 quid IIRC, which can be swapped over with just a screwdriver. Both jobs done in less than half an hour and for 25 quid.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    my 14 year old Rover gets an advisory every year for the rear plate - as long as it's not likely to be mis-read, should be ok, but cheap to replace if needed - I get mine on ebay (legal font/spacing etc of course)

mirror glass - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-2008-2016-left-passenger-near-side-convex-wing-mirror-glass-300LS/332443359497?fits=Model%3AFiesta%7CCars+Year%3A2014&epid=1161616133&hash=item4d672b1909:g:3NMAAOSwMQBaAuxk
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The cheap and easy way to fix a cracked mirror is to buy a stick on one from somewhere like eBay. Get the right one for your car. Peel off the backing, and stick it over the cracked glass.

It doesn't look particularly clever, but it's legal.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Is it possible to get just the glass replaced and do you know roughly how much I can expect to pay for that? It's a 2014 Fiesta.

Why not take a trip to your local scrappy and replace the whole thing? Some even take that sort of stuff off for you.
  • purplestar133
    flashg67 wrote: »
    my 14 year old Rover gets an advisory every year for the rear plate - as long as it's not likely to be mis-read, should be ok, but cheap to replace if needed - I get mine on ebay (legal font/spacing etc of course)

mirror glass - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Fiesta-2008-2016-left-passenger-near-side-convex-wing-mirror-glass-300LS/332443359497?fits=Model%3AFiesta%7CCars+Year%3A2014&epid=1161616133&hash=item4d672b1909:g:3NMAAOSwMQBaAuxk
    F1F93 wrote: »
    https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?zygonManPartNum=SR958&zygonPrice=0&zygonId=14716797&zygonArticleNum=690523&zygonGenericCode=000000&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165681&productId=1035789&storeId=10001

Fitting is a DIY job, plenty of YouTube tutorials.
    Whilst you're there, take along your logbook and get a rear number plate done for about 13 quid IIRC, which can be swapped over with just a screwdriver. Both jobs done in less than half an hour and for 25 quid.

Thank you all for your replies. So is the product from Halfords (https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/replacement-mirror-glass/halfords-standard-replacement-mirror-glass-sr957) the same kind of thing as from ebay? A stick on mirror? In that case, I should get the ebay one as it's much cheaper!
    I'm just a bit concerned that it might not stick smoothly on the bits where little chips of glass are missing. Here's a picture: https://imgur.com/a/ukIrT77

Do you think it's worth bothering? I don't want to make it worse!
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2018 at 10:15AM
    The sticky pad pretty much covers the whole of the back of the glass, as long as most of the old mirror is intact there should not be a problem. Both are the same stick on mirrors, Halfords mirror glasses are no better than Ebay ones just much dearer. If you have heated mirrors and want to keep that function then you will need to replace the glass with a proper item.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure