DVSA confirm previous MOT is still valid if you fail

13»

Comments

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Interesting because when I had a car MOT'd in June the garage immediately mentioned that if I entered the car for it's test early and it failed, was fixed then passed, the new cert might have an earlier expiry date in the following year. In previous times the new cert would always have expiry a year later on same date as old cert. the garage explained it was 'to do to the new rules'. Confusion all round, then.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    Interesting because when I had a car MOT'd in June the garage immediately mentioned that if I entered the car for it's test early and it failed, was fixed then passed, the new cert might have an earlier expiry date in the following year. In previous times the new cert would always have expiry a year later on same date as old cert. the garage explained it was 'to do to the new rules'. Confusion all round, then.
    No change over the expiry date carry-over. If you have a pass that's due to expire within 30 days, then the expiry date carries over, and is one year from the previous expiry. If the expiry is 31 days or more away, then the expiry date does not carry over, and is one year from the test.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Except that I was told otherwise due to ‘new rules’. As I said, confusion all round.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Except that I was told otherwise due to ‘new rules’. As I said, confusion all round.

I think you need to find a new garage.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The confusion is purely down to some muppet playing Chinese Whispers with you.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    There is indeed a lot of confusion about this. My MX-5 has just failed its MoT big time, so I put it on eBay, spares or repair, two weeks' MoT left, can be driven away. Several people messaged me to say "ere, mate, 'aven't you heard about the new rules? The car can't be driven once it's failed". I was happy to send them all a screenshot from the .gov website.

Driving a vehicle that’s failed

You can take your vehicle away if:
    • your current MOT certificate is still valid
    • no ‘dangerous’ problems were listed in the MOT
    https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

As the issues listed were major and not dangerous, I felt OK in saying this. The eventual buyer was happy to drive it half way across the country in its 'failed' state.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The confusion is around the wording that you must not drive the car away if dangerous, this is the same as you must not exceed the speed limit. In both cases no one can stop you from doing it but you risk prosecution if you do. Some garages seem to think they have been given new legal powers !
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Richard53 wrote: »
    My MX-5 has just failed its MoT big time, so I put it on eBay, spares or repair, two weeks' MoT left, can be driven away.
    If it failed "big time" and you are selling it as "spares or repair" then there is a possibility that it is unroadworthy.
    If this is the case then it can't legally be driven away and you would be breaking the law by selling it if you knew or suspected that the buyer would be driving it away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure