Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danrv
    • By danrv 4th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    • 27Posts
    • 5Thanks
    danrv
    Old Economy 10 system help
    • 4th Jul 18, 11:59 AM
    Old Economy 10 system help 4th Jul 18 at 11:59 AM
    Hi
    I have just moved into a 3 bed semi detached property which has an electric warm air ducted heating system on Economy 10.
    Its from the 1970s and probably quite efficient but am thinking that NOBODY would be running anything like this these days.
    The Unidare 10Kw R10 unit is huge (H130cm W60cm) weighs 75kg, has its own cupboard and is wired into the E10 timer. The off peak times are 10.00pm-8.00am BST which makes sense for this type of storage heater as it doesnt need a top up in the evening.
    Water heating is seperate immersion tank which I could have timed to operate off peak.

I would like to update to a more modern system but options are limited. No mains gas and quite a small garden for oil tank.
    Heat pump/wet system worth considering but not sure how hot it would heat the water in really cold weather.
    I dont need to heat the whole house, maybe one or two rooms at a time. Routine probably does suit storage heating more than electric rads but central storage units such as this are no longer made. Storage heaters/tariffs do seem to be gradually on the way out too.

Theres no shortage of electric rads available and this would be an easy install. I have done extensive reading on these and they would be neat, individually controllable via WiFi with no maintenance costs. Would need to switch to standard tariff.
    Only downside I can see is high running cost.
    Sort of stuck really.
    Last edited by danrv; 04-07-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Page 3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

7,618Users online

Martin's Twitter