£807 charged by United Utilities Apirl to June. Need Advice

Options
Hi all,

Hoping somebody can help me here. I moved out of a property on 31st May, yet my final bill after providing the metre reading is £807 which is apparently for the period of April to 1st June.

It was 2 people (me and my gf). We only used the shower twice a day, and maybe 1 bath every couple of weeks or so (sometimes longer). We both work full time and travel away a LOT.

Because we've now moved out of the property, it makes it difficult for us to work with the estate agents (it was a rented apartment).

Any advice?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 28 June 2018 at 6:33PM
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Did you give United Utilities your final meter readings YOURSELF?

Were previous bills up to April based on estimated meter readings? Often this happens with readings under-estimated and the final bill is a 'catch-up' bill.

It could also be a leak after the meter.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you moved out, as asked above did you read the meter yourself and if so, did you give them all digits, including the fractions of a cubic meter as part of the read?

If, for example the meter was showing 100.001 and you phoned them and gave this as 100001 then a ginormous bill would have been generated - a LOT more than if the last 3 digits had been omitted.

You need to visit the premises and read and photo the meter - if the meter is inside the flat ask the tenants for permission or try and access it if it's outside somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure