The Ultimate Incentive muddles along

Comments

• Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    edited 18 June 2016 at 10:25PM
    Quiet day today, only spends were a loaf of bread, a box of eggs and two bars of dark chocolate. Very skint at the moment so Grace and I just made NIMs favourite cookies for fathers day, as well as homemade cards and I've done a little engraving on a rectangle of wood to look like a postcard from the 3 of us. I owe two birthday presents, one I needed for today so that's gone sailing by, the other for tomorrow for brother's girlfriend, usual spend is £20, I've found a groupon for a restaurant near them that's 50% off and it's really well rated on tripadvisor and is £15.90 for two courses, then a 15% discount voucher as well so I think I'll go with that, as giving them one of the 6 bottles of champagne I have stood in my cupboard was deemed 'impersonal and uninspired' by mum - it is what I gave her at Christmas after all - I even draped a bracelet on it then too. So that just leaves my friend who was over today, we do have a bit of a history of always being six months late with gifts, she likes doing things, but I kind of already lied and said I had something upstairs but not wrapped so I may be tied into buying a 'stuff'.

Not had as much time to money make today, kids woke at 7am and Ben still isn't asleep at 22.20, and with having both of them off all day I spend much more time playing and less on the computer. Another etsy order though. Nothing out or into the bank account. Arranged to borrow dad's car on Monday so NIM can get to the not very near us or a train station hospital with Grace for an appointment as I need mine for work and his is just merrily bleeding oil all over the drive until we can get it in for a most likely terminal MOT.

Did manage to get claims letters in for two packaged bank accounts which were DEFINITELY mis-sold to us years ago, so that's something on the money front. Need to wrap two Amazon parcels and a facebook sling sale tomorrow and book couriers as well as make dad a bread and butter pudding (thrilled his favourite desert is so cheap to make) and we're having a fathers day/Ben and brother's gf BBQ tomorrow. Also need to plan my lessons for Monday, luckily I think I'm doing lessons I've already taught, so should just be a case of printing them and charging the speaker and tablet computer and packing the mats into the car.... although I don't even know where the speaker is right now.

Thinking of your dad tonight Tete x
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • Dinah93
    NIM has applied to a clinical trials company! If he gets accepted he count make a few thousand pounds, I do feel a bit eek at the idea that he's putting random barely tested drugs in his body.

Nearly at payout level on my book, it hasn't made much money but I'm still very glad I did it as I've had some lovely emails off complete strangers about it, wish I could work out how to publicise it more though as my main reason for writing was to raise awareness of pre-eclampsia.

Made the decision to sell NIMs car without an MOT, we know it won't pass and the part to get it going again is over £400, which we don't have, so we'd rather sell it for whatever we can get, and see if he needs a car for whatever job he gets. So he needs to clean it out in the next few days so we can list it on ebay.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • archersluck
    archersluck Posts: 624 Forumite
    Ahh new thread, hi everyone :)
    Sorry to hear about NIMS depression Dinah, what treatment has he been getting? Must be very tough for you all. I hope this is the time you can crack the debt for good.

Tete your thread vein comment made me laugh, did you find any good advice? I swear every time I look at my legs mine have spread.

I'm on a sick day today, my second in the 3 years I've been at this job so not too bad but it's a very busy time so I have the guilt... Hoping if I feel less dizzy later I can address our wedding save the dates, 9 months to go!

What does payout level on the book mean Dinah? Glad you've had some nice feedback, I read it and my heart went out to you for what you went through. How is Grace now?
    OH works on clinical trials so let me know if you need any more info, certain stages are much safer than others.

Saving for a deposit: £11,621.15
    20/25lbs
  • Dinah93
    You get paid every £100, so we're about £10 off that I think.

Thanks Archers but NIM has been refused due to being on antidepressants, which is a shame as could have used the money.

NIM has medication, which has just been changed, and then we're paying privately for a psychotherapist as the NHS haven't been able to fit him in for anything that has helped.

Hope you feel better now Archers.

No real money news today, at work all day, but they've cancelled the next two weeks, so that's only one day left before the end of term, which is about £140 down on where I was expecting to be. Had to borrow dad's car to take Grace to hospital, NIM went to drop it off and get the train back, only he forgot his wallet (which contains my bank card) so I had to go pick him up, in a car with a fuel light on (that had been on the 11 miles each way to work too), with no mobile phone as it's broken, and two kids in pjs in the back. Couldn't buy fuel as my card is in the elusive wallet. Eventually russled up £5 in coins, so £4.99 spent today on fuel, £2.80 on the train ticket which was only half used, £3 on parking at the hospital.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • Tete_en_l'Air
    Tete_en_l'Air Posts: 7,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Dinah you sound how I feel most of the time at the moment, and I don't have two kids and a husband to contend with! Everything just seems to conspire against you some days doesn't it? I have been so mega busy the last three weeks, including evenings and weekends, and I feel like everything is in total disarray. Just checked my library account and I've racked up almost a tenner in late fees which I'm kicking myself about. This week is no better, in fact it's awful as I'm working the next three days, two days an hour's drive away, each day requires a written report afterwards which isn't always the case, I've got a running committee meeting tomorrow and I'm the secretary so need to sort agendas and minutes, and I'm busy tonight and Thursday night as well. Roll on Friday I say!

Archers, not found out much except it's not as readily available as I thought (you seem to be able to get Botox everywhere). I've found a place nearby and might book a consultation when things calm down a bit. Hope you're feeling better today.

Best get off and sort myself out - have a good day all x
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • Dinah93
    NIM has just taken Grace out for her busy Tuesday of french and dancing, which gives me around 4 hours of money making time. So my goals:
    - write up my CV
    - Apply for the two part time jobs I've seen
    - Finish listing Mr Museum mugs on Etsy

May find writing the CV challenging as I don't have any office software on this computer, I've found a CD of office 2003.... but my computer doesn't have a CD drive, so I also need to find a CD drive. I may just use NIMs laptop to be honest and be done with it. Desperately need to get office and photoshop on this beast.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • clearmydebts
    clearmydebts Posts: 6,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Lovely to see everyone coming back! Life sounds very stressful for you at the moment Dinah. Just throwing a curveball here but if NIM is suffering from depression might it be better for you to look for work in your old area so that you have a regular, steady income coming in rather than bits and pieces here and there?
    Total (Aug 19):€58,567 Now:€26,947
    DFD:Nov 22/June 22
    Mortgage: €199,712
    MFD: March 2042/July 2034
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 wrote: »
    NIM has just taken Grace out for her busy Tuesday of french and dancing, which gives me around 4 hours of money making time. So my goals:
    [STRIKE]- write up my CV [/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]- Apply for the two part time jobs I've seen[/STRIKE]
    - Finish listing Mr Museum mugs on Etsy

May find writing the CV challenging as I don't have any office software on this computer, I've found a CD of office 2003.... but my computer doesn't have a CD drive, so I also need to find a CD drive. I may just use NIMs laptop to be honest and be done with it. Desperately need to get office and photoshop on this beast.

Mugs are taking longer than expected, but at least I now have a CV. Took forever though! Discovered the cat has for no known reason peed repeatedly on the MS Office case. Feeling really good about how much was achieved today.

Spendiest day yet though, NIM spent £3 on entrance to the soft play, 85p for squash and juice for a snack, £55ish to fill the car with fuel, I had to spend £7.50 on some new work trousers, £22 on two costumes for Grace (she gets a treat every time she clears her plate 7 times and she is desperate for Frozen Fever costumes, this can take up to 3 months to get the 7 stars but one of the costumes come from China so it takes months for it to arrive) and then £2.45 for a cat brush as she keeps getting really matted, I don't know if that's just old age or that she's moulting so much due to the heat. NIM also spent £1.99 on an ebook.

£41.97 on Broadband and phone line today, it's far, far too much, but we're stuck for 4 more months as we're out of contract on the phone line, which put the price up massively, but still tied in for the broadband part. I don't *think* we can move one without the other.

No positive interview news for NIM yet :( Very happy that he's made some headway on a DIY job that has needed doing for 3+ years though.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • Dinah93
    Lovely to see everyone coming back! Life sounds very stressful for you at the moment Dinah. Just throwing a curveball here but if NIM is suffering from depression might it be better for you to look for work in your old area so that you have a regular, steady income coming in rather than bits and pieces here and there?

It's been discussed but no, NIM does not want to do any more childcare than he currently does, and he does no housework so when I work that's all on me and I hate that I come home and do housework and spend no time with the kids and he's been with them all day and doesn't appreciate that fact. He doesn't feel he could cope with the kids 5 days a week, and he really does want to work. I looked today actually at jobs in my former area, but the nearest one is 47 miles away as it's a sector that has retracted massively with the government cuts, and given the job up there is private sector it means late nights as it's a very client pleasing industry. It's just not where I want to be with a family and I have very strong beliefs on the kids needing a parent to be there for them as it's what they're used to, NIMs issues should impact on them as little as possible rather than them paying the price. It's a discussion my mother in law has brought up time and time again, and she will not hear of how much childcare costs, but without a minute's hesitation I would sell the house and live off the equity for a few years until Ben was in school before I put my children in full time childcare, no judgement on those who do but it's not what I chose to do.

Still can't work out that final balance for NIM, and it's the one I need as the 0% finished about a week ago on the 14th, and we do have some money in the account to put towards clearing it, although not enough.
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • Cinny91
    Cinny91 Posts: 6,022 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Nice, in a not that nice kind of way (???), to see you back with a thread. Like Tete said, you always seem to do so well when you're "on it" with clearing debt and getting things on track - please don't vanish again, you can do this!!

it's nice to see everyone coming back too :) was thinking about you on the lead up to Sunday, Tete. Hope you're doing okay, sounds like your work is keeping you busy but a big F.U. to your boss - fingers crossed you find something new soon!

We're trying our best with money at the moment. Oscar is a tiny black hole for money and I'm very guilty of thebuyingoftheclothes and thebuyingofthebooks. We're doing really well with cloth nappies and reuseable wipes, so I know we're saving there. We're cutting costs the only way we know how - swapped our shopping to Aldi and meal plan etc. We've cancelled a few monthly expenses, downgraded sky to basically nothing and I'm waiting on the happy moment in a few months time I can switch to sim only for my mobile. so I think we're doing okayish. Battling through sleep regression which is so fun :cool:

Would matched betting be an option as income for you? We made a whole separate full time wage doing it last year, but my baby brain made it better for me to stop :o and OH got really busy with real work and we just never picked it back up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback