Block Paving Quotes

Comments

• carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    My quote and specification has arrived from the TopPave approved contractor.

For 37.25m2, kerbs to be lowered/soil to be excavated and removed/base laid/drains fitted/blocks laid etc

£2590.12 inc vat. which i thought was fair.

I have now accepted this quote.

I have asked again how long it would take again,as originally told me 2 weeks,he confirmed this again,even though,everybody else,including the TopPave brochure estimated approx 3 days. I asked why it would take so long......he excavates the soil by hand !!! he reckons mechanical diggers upset foundations etc!

A bit strange i thought?
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • unome
    unome Posts: 23 Forumite
    When they had it done a few doors down from me they dug it by hand.

Mabe it has something more to do with how much work they have on at the time.

That seems like a reasonable enogh price if they are going to lower the curb as well ;)
  • carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    unome wrote:
    When they had it done a few doors down from me they dug it by hand.

Mabe it has something more to do with how much work they have on at the time.

That seems like a reasonable enogh price if they are going to lower the curb as well ;)

I thought so,i was told it can cost £500-£900 to have the kerb done alone.
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • unome
    Getting my curb droped cost £300 through the local aulthority
  • unome
    Just for the record I have now compleated the drive and it look great :D
  • George_Bray
    George_Bray Posts: 734 Forumite
    Bossyboots wrote:
    This is the in thing in our area at the moment. At my end of the street alone, 10 houses have had theirs done by the same company.

Block paving must be the worst-ever fashion trend to blight the UK. It can look good, if used for a drive and paths but not if the whole front garden is covered in concrete. It's ruining the look of our streets. I'm sure the TV makeover programmes will regard it like flock wallpaper or Artex in a few years time, showing how you can return front gardens to their former glory. Cars and car parking should not be the be-all and end-all of life.

Regards
    George
  • bevm_2
    bevm_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    hi,

this is my first message and I hope somebody can help.

As an interim measure, I had somebody dig out the front garden, lay the teram and cover with hardcore some months ago.

I am deciding what to do due to the massive costs I would consider doing block paving myself (but just had op on right hand and now stuck)

there are now a zillion weeds showing across the hardcore and I need to know what to do next before possibly buying the block paving or simply having a load of gravel put down for effect with some random york stone (which I dug up previously to reuse) HELP and guidance please
  • MommaCC
    MommaCC Posts: 257
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I recently layed/built/did my driveway with the help of my 12 year old son. I layed blocks around the edge creating a border, stepping stones from pavement to front door and filled with slate (1st layer with cement - 2nd layer loose). The outcome is a great driveway at a cost of approx £500.
  • I had a similar job done and I was amazed at the quality of service for the price I paid. If anyone is in the South East Area, particularly Berkshire like me I would highly recommend this company:

http://www.berkshirepaving.co.uk/
  • Hi

My husband done the occasional driveway as a homer in the past - he works in the building trade - He genarally charged £40 - 45 per M for a basic drive which i think is a fair price as it seems to be more like £60-£70 per m is the norm. I normally sourced the blocks for him and the prices varied but one to avoid is certainly Jewson they are approx a third more expensive than all other builders merchants so avoid them!

If there is a new housing site being built near you where the driveways are being paved i would say pop along and ask the guys if they do homers and use £45 per m as a guide for the pricing, thats including everything. Its a cheap way of getting the job done as companies are obviously going to charge a lot more.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure