Block Paving Quotes

I am thinking of having a company to lay block paving to the front of my house to make a driveway.

I know you should have 3 quotes for the job,but i have rang about 6 different companies so far,and only 2 have come round to measure up.

The first company spent all of 5 mins taking measurements but have not contacted me since.

The other called today,took measurements,discussed drainage,turnaround time,levels,materials and left a brochure etc,he said i should have the quote by post on Weds,plus i got this company name from a list of approved contractors from the block manufacturers website (he had their logo on his polo shirt) you know the type,look like a "proper" tradesman.

I would like to know if there is a rough estimate for approx 40sq meters of block paving? so,when i get his letter,i can decide if the price is reasonable without having to shop around.

Like i said,i am having trouble getting people to come out and see the job,let alone get 3 quotes.

Anybody had a similar job done?
Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    'These prices are for guidance only. Due to the wide variation in prices across the UK, you should consult local suppliers. The prices stated are to construct a typical driveway in various multi-coloured block types and include skips to remove excavated material, sub-base material (DTp1), bedding sand, blocks/bricks as described and dry, silica sand to joint. Also included hire of wacker plate, block splitter and hand tools for 1 weekend. All prices include VAT.'

Standard concrete block paving (eg Marshall Driveline) £55/m2
    Tumbled Blocks (eg Marshall Tegula etc) £65/m2
    Clay Paviours £65/m2
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is the in thing in our area at the moment. At my end of the street alone, 10 houses have had theirs done by the same company.

My next door neighbours had theirs done two years ago and it is a mess. It doesn't drain away, leaving them with puddles all over. They had them back twice to sort it out but have now given up.
  • carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    I have now found this site,

http://www.pavingexpert.com/home.htm

almost like MSE!

I found this especially usefull,

http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks.htm#price

and there is an Exel file to download.

But thanks iainkirk.
  • unome
    unome Posts: 23 Forumite
    I had the same problem. The few quotes I did have were very expensive. (over £3000) :mad:

In the end I decided to bite the bullet and do it my self

I have taken two weeks off work and am now on my second week of doing it.

To be honist its not all that skillfull a thing to do just hard work.

My costs for 30sqm are so far as folows.

Hardcore and sand £226.74

Bricks 429.84 ( although I think that I may have over orderd) :rolleyes:

Week rental of

Wacker plate £45

Brick spliter £30

One spade £15

EDIT: one skip £120

Hopefull this should be every thing but i might nead sone more sand.
  • carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    You are brave!

I wouldn't know where to start,well i do actually,but how did you dig down and remove the top 200mm of soil from the site? did you get help?

I would need another 2 weeks off,just to recover.
  • isayoldchap
    isayoldchap Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    carl310166 wrote:
    You are brave!

I wouldn't know where to start,well i do actually,but how did you dig down and remove the top 200mm of soil from the site? did you get help?

Hire a mini digger for part of the day :D
  • unome
    unome Posts: 23 Forumite
    You are brave!

I would like to say that I did all the diging my self but I did have some unpaid volunteers so I probably did about 60% my self.

I toyed with the idea of a mini digger but It was quite expensive. If i was to do another drive with out help I would consider renting one as it would save alot of time ;)

Sorry I forgot to include the cost of the skip in my pricing. It would have neaded two skips but I managed to ofload some of my soil onto a friend.

I did use one 8yrd skip and filled it totaly the came in at £120
  • isayoldchap
    isayoldchap Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    unome wrote:
    I would like to say that I did all the diging my self but I did have some unpaid volunteers so I probably did about 60% my self.

I toyed with the idea of a mini digger but It was quite expensive. If i was to do another drive with out help I would consider renting one as it would save alot of time ;)

Sorry I forgot to include the cost of the skip in my pricing. It would have neaded two skips but I managed to ofload some of my soil onto a friend.

I did use one 8yrd skip and filled it totaly the came in at £120

How about hiring a grabber lorry to do a large pickup.Put all your rubble on some large sheets(not in bags because they don't always take them)and I think for about £130+ they will collect. :beer:
  • g33za
    g33za Posts: 706
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    what capacity (yrds) can a grabber lorry take in that £130?
    ummm...
  • njm_2
    njm_2 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Please visit this site, go to customer service, then submit your postcode etc - you will get the details of approved installers within your area. This is backed by Marshalls so if you have any problems that can not be sorted out with the installer, they will step in.

http://www.marshalls.co.uk/transform/

Rip off block pavers were being discussed on a consumer programme today (Stephen Rhodes on BBC 3 Counties Radio) and one elderly caller had problems getting the workman back to fix her broken drains – turned out that she and her neighbour had both paid £7000 for their block paved drives, not bad for one weeks work!

I have no affiliation to Marshalls!
    I came, I saw, I did a little browsing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family