Small Claims Court

Options
I have submitted a claim to take Tesco to the Small Claims Court. It is a simple case they said they would refund and they haven't. I want to blog about the case before it is heard, would this be stupid and should I wait until after the case?! I don't really see why it should go against me as it's just my side and they can always respond but I'm aware that it could jepordise the case. How long after submission does it take to get to Court?
Thank you

Comments

• ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Why do you feel the need to publicise when it may go against you?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    If they defend the claim, and you decide to carry it all the way to a hearing (which you have to pay for, but get this cost added to your claim if you win) it can take 4 to 6 months from the original issue date.

Why not wait till the matter is concluded before blogging it - you might end up with egg on your face!
  • As I said, I'm aware that it could scupper the case so am wary of doing it and so the question is about legality not whether I'll have egg over my face, that I can cope with because the Blog is humorous and I can easily write a piece about losing although extremely unlikely. I want to know if it goes against you in court blogging about it before the case, just want to do it to give them bad publicity! See their timeline on Twitter!
    Thank you to anyone with legal background who can give definitive answer.
  • Quentin
    Options
    It's not illegal. Assuming it's all true!
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    .... I want to blog about the case before it is heard, would this be stupid and should I wait until after the case?!..

It might be considered Contempt of Court. I'd wait until after the case has been concluded.
  • I know it's not illegal! But yes Antrobus that is my concern hence posting the question. Thanks I'll wait for someone from CAB to know whether this is the case.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    I know it's not illegal! But yes Antrobus that is my concern hence posting the question. Thanks I'll wait for someone from CAB to know whether this is the case.

All sounds rather childish, I would suspect that CAB have much more deserving causes to spend their time on.
  • Quentin
    Options
    CAB won't give you free legal advice here!

You need to see a solicitor if you want an answer you can rely on in court!
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    ILW wrote: »
    All sounds rather childish, I would suspect that CAB have much more deserving causes to spend their time on.

It appears the powers that be agree with you and have moved this thread from the CAB board where it was originally posted :T
  • miduck
    miduck Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    Options
    I do wonder if small claims is the most efficient way to deal with this, Tesco are far from perfect but if you speak to the right person most things can be sorted quite quickly. OP, have you spoken to a manager, or someone at head office? Did you issue a letter before action?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure