So poor I can't even pay attention

Options
Hello everyone

I’ve been back on the site a few days now and feel the need to restart my diary. However, before I start I’d like to tell you why I disappeared in the first place.

I had a massive debt of 57,213.30 made up of loans and credit cards. Paying off the mortgage was and is a pie in the sky dream. I had a good job, it was well paid and once I had knuckled under and accepted what I had to do I felt I had a fair chance of clearing it in a few years. I had joined MSE and made some very good friends here, take a bow Pippi and Lucielle.

Work was making a lot of redundancies and although I knew in my heart that my area was under threat, I behaved like an ostrich hoping it would bypass me and I would survive. I didn’t.

That’s when I left the site, probably when I needed you all most. I was and to a degree even now, so ashamed. I felt unwanted, it felt personal and it really hurt. It took months before I could even start looking for work again. I wasted the time I could have used by ignoring it.

Eventually, I got another job and nine months down the line got made redundant again! And that is where I am today. Out of work with no money coming in.

However, this time I’m not wasting the time. I look for work everyday, but at the same I am also trying to change my career entirely, and do something I enjoy and if I’m lucky from home as well. That is one of the reasons I want to start another diary to keep tabs on my debts, my career and myself.

On the positive side, I never lost sight of my debts and continued with nearly everything I learnt here and have whittled the debt down to 12,631.79.

I still have the Captain, my beloved horse, probably the most opinionated stubborn animal to grace God’s earth. Those who knew me before will remember the time the Captain and I spent standing in ditches whilst we discussed whether we were going out for a ride or going home for dinner. The mad escapades when we met llamas or hosepipes on our travels.

I have missed the laughter and tears we shared of an evening jumping between each others diaries whilst trying to solve the mysteries of meal planning and NSDs.

One of my major expenses whilst away was to buy myself a new man. I have been on my own for a long time and I realised I was very lonely and that maybe I was ready to take on a member of the opposite species. For the astronomical sum of 130.00 I joined a dating site and on my third date met the current human member of my menagerie. He is a kind and generous man and I hope he will be around for quite a while.

This is longwinded, so I will stop for now and add more to my diary later. Please join me in my diary, truly, the more the merrier. Like many of you I prefer to laugh and enjoy the ridiculous side of life, but I won’t run away this time if life gets a little more difficult.

Piq
Total debt at October 2008: £67,213.30
Total debt today: £0
- debt and mortgage free 29th November 2013 :T
Sealed Pot Challenge member 14
Save £12K in 2014 - £6,521.90/£6K member 138

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi Piq :)

Just sneakily popped over from Pippi's homestead (and was drawn in by the fabulous title of your diary :p) I confess I never 'knew' you before, but you sound like a Very Cheerful Person (despite your circumstances - twice made redundant - ouch!), and I would love to know you better :) (and pippi seems to think you're good, and I trust her judgement :D)

Love your description of your horse, and of buying yourself a new man to add to the menagerie :rotfl:That's a FABULOUS reduction you've made in your debts, well done you! :T :T :T

Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures and your new work, hooray! :j :j

Cheery xx
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Tips her hat and pops by too.

Oh Piq - I'm dashing out now but I wanted to say what a lot you've been through! I'm glad you've 'acquired a member of the opposite species', good for you, happy happy diary.

*pop back in later with bubbly*

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,733 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Heeeeellllllloooooooo. Those totals are looking good. Settles down for a 'Captain story'
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Options
    Piq I am so pleased to learn that (despite a horrible time) you are Ok. Hurrah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant debt busting too, really looking forward to your return.
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wow! If you can achieve so much when you feel so down, I am looking forward to seeing what you can get up to when the going's better..
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Noonar
    Noonar Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Piquant - I hope you don't mind my first post ever! being on your diary. I was browsing and your title was very eye-catching. Then I was hooked when you mentioned a horse. Losing your job (twice) and reducing your debt and having a horse as well is very impressive - horses and money saving saving don't seem to go together in my world. I am going to subscribe to your diary - it sounds like I might get a good laugh! Could do with one of those.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well you should be damn proud of yourself that reduction in debt is a MASSIVE MASSIVE BLOOMING FANTASTIC ACHEIVEMENT!
  • Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello everyone! How fantastically marvelous to see you all new friends and old. Please pull up a chair and share my bottle of wine with me. I wasn't going to drink tonight, what with it being a school night and the government recommending I don't drink every night. Nanny state.

However..... DS3 popped over because he wanted to make my raspberry cheesecake for all his lady friends at work - get him :cool:

He had the majority of the ingredients, read that as about 50%, guess who supplied the rest? All was going swimmingly until the final stage, the drizzling of the chocolate in attractive swirls over the top of the cheesecake.

All professional chefs look the other way for a moment. Not for me the bain marie, a pyrex jug in the microwave will do...

DS3 walks it across the kitchen for me to see if it's at drizzling consistency, and with the immortal words ' the ****ing jug's too hot' drops it on my stone floor....

Do you have any idea how far a shattered pyrex jug and molten chocolate can travel? Well, I do!

Washing the kitchen floor three times wasn't high on my list of priorities this evening. However, it gets better, or worse, depending on your viewpoint. I kindly give him the Green & Blacks cooking chocolate I had bought to make shortbread love hearts for my new man pet, whereupon DS3 drops the second batch as it comes out the microwave covering his socks, jeans and my microwave in another batch of molten chocolate....:eek:

I deserve the wine, I really do.

PS, I know Green & Blacks chocolate is not DFW, unless you look on it that I only spent 2.08 for Valentines day as I had the other ingredients. I suppose it now should read I only spent 4.16 as I'm going to have to buy some more tomorrow. I just hope DS3's ladies appreciate it!

On second thoughts I'll miss off the dipping of the hearts in chocolate, I've gone off it a bit!

Piq

• Piquant_2
    Piquant_2 Posts: 5,769 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Noonar wrote: »
    Hi Piquant - I hope you don't mind my first post ever! being on your diary. I was browsing and your title was very eye-catching. Then I was hooked when you mentioned a horse. Losing your job (twice) and reducing your debt and having a horse as well is very impressive - horses and money saving saving don't seem to go together in my world. I am going to subscribe to your diary - it sounds like I might get a good laugh! Could do with one of those.

Noonar, you are more than welcome and I'm touched that you've visited me for your first post. I will reintroduce the Captain tomorrow, I wasn't anticipating this evening's shannanigans :rotfl:

The Captain and I have been together a long time and to be honest I'm not sure anyone else would want him...;)

I look forward to getting to know you.

Piq

• ScottishOstrich
    Options
    Hey lady,
    hope you and the captain are well. look forward to reading your adventures
    Ostrich xx