Independent Financial Advisor - expectations

13»

Comments

• Dylenne
    Dylenne Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thanks Dunston have, I will ask.
  • Dylenne
    Dylenne Posts: 11 Forumite
    Zagfles, I wouldn't say drawdown is imminent. I'm 50 and want to make sure I'm on the right track pensionwise so I can make changes, if necessary, whilst there's time.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Dylenne wrote: »
    Zagfles, I wouldn't say drawdown is imminent. I'm 50 and want to make sure I'm on the right track pensionwise so I can make changes, if necessary, whilst there's time.
    Yes, but with specific regard to flexibilities, that shouldn't be a reason to transfer now, as you don't need them yet. I have an inflexibile pension, which I will transfer, but I'm not going to transfer it until I want to drawdown from it. Right now, other issues should be the drivers such as charges, performance, risk etc.
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You have every right to go back to them and ask them to justify the tripling of charges and to make clear that was never one of your objectives.

Sadly, too many IFAs won't give advice unless it involves them being seen to make a recommendation which involves an action such as a new product purchase as they feel many people won't pay for advice just to be told to just keep things as they are.

The other element to this is that presumably the new annual charges includes an element of you receiving advice from them every year to keep you on track and which can be paid for direct from the Liberty Sipp they've recommended? The simple fact is that your existing pensions don't offer that functionality to pay the adviser so it's rare that an adviser will recommend that you keep them, despite the lower cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure