Employer Visits

Options
Hi all, first time I've used the site so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I've been off of work for about 3 weeks now with anxiety and depression. One week self cert, 2 weeks on a fitnote with another 2 to go. My manager is now wanting to visit me and I have to say the thought terrifies me. Whilst work was definitely the catalyst for this latest bout, i've been struggling with my mind since I was 7 and KNOW i cant give them a timescale as to when I'll be back.

I took union advice and signed myself off, as had asked for support but there simply isnt that kind of support available at my workplace. I know that 2 members of my team have been fired for absence while i've been off, which is making me even more worried that my manager will just turn up with a p45. I cant state clearly enough to them that I do want to return to work but am unable to at the moment and dont see how this meeting is going to help me in anyway.

I've been to the mental health nurse today but didnt think they could help with work visits and so didnt mention it. I know my manager is going to call me at some point today and i'm frankly bricking it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Speak to your union, but ... this is actually not bad practice (keeping in touch with someone who is signed off for more than a month).

Would you feel better meeting elsewhere?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you face meeting at a neutral venue with perhaps your rep attending also?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Cheeky_Monkey Posts: 2,072 Forumite
    Options
    A home visit by a manager whilst you're off sick is not unusual but rest assured, they will not be turning up with your P45.

How long have you worked there?
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't have any meeting without your rep being present. Right now you are in a depressed state, vunerable and loads of other adjectives.
    It is expected that good employers will home visit employees that are off sick for long period of time. Also good employers will know and understand that a home visit may not be possible due to other factors. Of course employers that pay sick pay will check that the employee is actually sick. A home visit can reinforce that to your benefit.
    From your pov your employer has an opportunity to see how you live and ask questions re your treatment plan etc and you are in the safety of your home. Assuming that you want to get well again and return to work then you need to play by your employers rules and try your best to comply with your employers absence policy. Ask them if they have something like Employee Assistance Program (EAP) many do. Its a confidential service that can offer many free (to you) to use programs such as a fast track access to counselling. Don't be afraid to be refered to occupational health in fact if you aren't then ask and insist. Depending on your location OH teams may be able fast track you to treatment that works for you.
    Lastly you need the help of your trade union rep in your corner. Your rep will hold your hand, guide you through the process and give appropriate advice. Its what you pay your union dues for.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ... Assuming there even is a union where the OP works, this is good advice.

If there are issues at work that you think your employer can help with (practically, put yourself in their position) by all means mention them, OP. Is work the core issue? If not, that is outside your employer's control. I wish you the best; I know what it's like. Take care of you, please.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure