Separated but still living in same house

Comments

• Wow Bozo, that's quite some dissection... I posted that message originally in that context as I hadn't planned to make it quite so openly known on here about my situation. You'll notice from my joined date right under my name that I'm very new to posting here. Whilst we have decided that we are definitely going to split, we are still living as amicably as possible as we are stuck in the same house right now.
    But if you're not working you could be claiming JSA and LHA/CTB for a flat. There doesn't seem to be any financial benefit for you to still be living in the family house, as far as I can see.

Well, for a start we're tied into the tenancy in our current place, for which the landlord holds a sizeable deposit. There's no way either of us can afford the £1200 pcm rent on our own to stay here right now (housing and council tax benefit pay less than half the rent as it is). Before anyone else starts jumping to conclusions about our situation, we moved in here when I was earning close to a 6-figure salary and we were still very much together as a couple...
    ESA wrote: »
    When does your 6 months run out?

At the end of October.
    bestpud wrote: »
    I'm always a little suspicious of people who say they want to carry on living together after they split, as I think that situation would drive most people mad! I'm even more suspicious when they seem to have been struggling financially as a couple and want to claim benefits.

Gotta love how some people just think the worst without knowing all the facts :) As I said above, up until the end of last year I/we was/were not struggling at all financially. Unfortunately since then I was made redundant from my job & not been able to find a new one, so I/we have run out of savings to support myself/us.

I've never had to claim benefits before, so really don't have a clue how the system works. I have spent over two hours on the phone to various different people today alone & am still none the wiser.

For example, I have apparently been granted housing benefit which has been backdated to when I originally made my claim. However, no-one seems to be able to tell me how much I'll be getting, it's going to take another 3 weeks until I get it and no-one seems to know why they have only backdated the claim to 6 days after the date on my forms. When I asked why the payment was going to take so long, the guy on the phone was able to change the date to next week. Why on earth they were holding out for so long originally is beyond me...
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite

Well, for a start we're tied into the tenancy in our current place, for which the landlord holds a sizeable deposit. There's no way either of us can afford the £1200 pcm rent on our own to stay here right now (housing and council tax benefit pay less than half the rent as it is). Before anyone else starts jumping to conclusions about our situation, we moved in here when I was earning close to a 6-figure salary and we were still very much together as a couple...

Presumably you signed the tenancy agreement before your financial worries started so the tenancy must be about due to finish as you say these started at the end of last year.

As you have a sizeable deposit there's likely to be enough to split between two households, with you claiming JSA/LHA/CTB for a 1 bed flat whilst your wife finds a smaller house that she can afford on her earnings and tax credits.

It should mean that you only have a short while to carry on living in this difficult situation.
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Presumably you signed the tenancy agreement before your financial worries started so the tenancy must be about due to finish as you say these started at the end of last year.

As you have a sizeable deposit there's likely to be enough to split between two households, with you claiming JSA/LHA/CTB for a 1 bed flat whilst your wife finds a smaller house that she can afford on her earnings and tax credits.

It should mean that you only have a short while to carry on living in this difficult situation.

Is it fair for him to move into a 1 bedroom flat though if there are children involved?

Surely for the sake of the kids, both parents need to have suitable accommodation.

What is the DWPs view on this? :)

To the OP - how haven't you killed each other? Me and my husband split up and I had to get him out... he was.. and still is... trying to send me insane!
    :cool:
  • Well unfortunately I don't think "fair" comes into it when you're dealing with benefits. You seem to get the absolute bare minimum the state thinks will keep a roof over your head & that's about it (if you have no dependants living with you). I have no doubt that the kids & their mother will get enough benefits when the time comes to be able to live comfortably.

We are lucky enough to be able to tolerate eachother most of the time right now. Mainly for the sake of the children.

We have about 4 months left on the tenancy in our current house. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a job before then so I can stay here as it's a very nice place to live. Obviously if that doesn't happen I need to start seriously thinking about where I'm going to go from here.
  • Mips
    Mips Posts: 19,796 Forumite
    Well unfortunately I don't think "fair" comes into it when you're dealing with benefits. You seem to get the absolute bare minimum the state thinks will keep a roof over your head & that's about it (if you have no dependants living with you). I have no doubt that the kids & their mother will get enough benefits when the time comes to be able to live comfortably.

We are lucky enough to be able to tolerate eachother most of the time right now. Mainly for the sake of the children.

We have about 4 months left on the tenancy in our current house. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find a job before then so I can stay here as it's a very nice place to live. Obviously if that doesn't happen I need to start seriously thinking about where I'm going to go from here.

Surely though both parents have to have decent homes and enough bedrooms to be able to share care of the children? :confused:
    :cool:
  • Sounds sensible doesn't it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that... Whoever has custody of the children gets the benefits associated with caring for them, whilst the other parent is expected to pay maintenance (if they earn anything).

At least that's what I can gather from what I've heard.
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Sounds sensible doesn't it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that... Whoever has custody of the children gets the benefits associated with caring for them, whilst the other parent is expected to pay maintenance (if they earn anything).

At least that's what I can gather from what I've heard.

What exactly is wrong with that?

Bozo
  • Oldernotwiser
    Dippychick wrote: »
    Is it fair for him to move into a 1 bedroom flat though if there are children involved?

Surely for the sake of the kids, both parents need to have suitable accommodation.

What is the DWPs view on this? :)

To the OP - how haven't you killed each other? Me and my husband split up and I had to get him out... he was.. and still is... trying to send me insane!

Do you really think that public money should pay for 2X3 bedroomed houses just because a couple have chosen to separate? It's not a question of fairness but of common sense!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Surely though both parents have to have decent homes and enough bedrooms to be able to share care of the children? :confused:

Why on earth should you think that? Benefits will fund one home for the children but not two!
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite

That's exactly what I was getting at Dippy. :D My ex and I are pretty amicable on the whole but we couldn't live in the same house any more!

As for the housing and benefits, it is assumed the absent parent will be able to maintain themselves I guess. I mean, they are technically single, aren't they, so they can work and fund a second bedroom.

Many would argue that is the same for the parent with care, hence lowering the age IS can be claimed solely for being a lone parent. But, whatever way you view it, the parent with care is less able to work as and when, and has costs which aren't applicable to single people.

GettingStraight - are you suggesting it is unfair the parent with care receives any benefits for looking after them and the absent parent also pays towards their keep? :confused: Surely not...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure