£842.57p..... Give or take.

I disagree. It's more like £6.52.
  • sujman
    sujman Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Average prices for the "shell" of the extension:

£1,000 per square meter, single story
    £1,800 per square meter, double story

(note - this is footprint, not floor space)

Depending on the final size (the larger the extension, the lower the average cost), finished costs in the range of:

£1,300 per square meter, single story
    £2,200 per square meter, double story

Last year I had a costing done for a 54 sq mt (footprint) extension.

Costs worked out to £2,150 per sq mtr, plus £10k for various internal alternations.

However, the £2.1k per sq mt over 54 sq mts, included £29k for electrics, plumbing, kitchens and bathrooms.

Right now, I am looking to have a 4m by 5m double storey extension. Including everything - new kitchen, bathroom, en-suite, moving front door and boiler etc etc - which is just about everything except carpets and curtains (!!), I am hoping for total costs to come to about £50k, inclding VAT. Here's hoping!!
  • sujman wrote: »
    Average prices for the "shell" of the extension:

£1,000 per square meter, single story
    £1,800 per square meter, double story

(note - this is footprint, not floor space)

Depending on the final size (the larger the extension, the lower the average cost), finished costs in the range of:

£1,300 per square meter, single story
    £2,200 per square meter, double story

Last year I had a costing done for a 54 sq mt (footprint) extension.

Costs worked out to £2,150 per sq mtr, plus £10k for various internal alternations.

However, the £2.1k per sq mt over 54 sq mts, included £29k for electrics, plumbing, kitchens and bathrooms.

Right now, I am looking to have a 4m by 5m double storey extension. Including everything - new kitchen, bathroom, en-suite, moving front door and boiler etc etc - which is just about everything except carpets and curtains (!!), I am hoping for total costs to come to about £50k, inclding VAT. Here's hoping!!

it sounds a little bit of a tight budget but if you work with your building he can help you cut cost your purchases. i offen offer this to my clients it helps all concerned.
  • sujman
    sujman Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    seancannon wrote: »
    it sounds a little bit of a tight budget but if you work with your building he can help you cut cost your purchases. i offen offer this to my clients it helps all concerned.

Initial quotes would be based on the builder supplying just about all materials. I am hoping that for things like the kitchens / bathrooms etc, he will tell me what the "allowance" is for the cost of the items and hopefully I can get the same qulity for cheaper by doing my own research instead of using the builders own supplers.

Also, if the quotes includes cost for all other materials (brick and mortar etc) I was looking into ideas of buying all the materials myself and get discounts that way.

There have been a number of instances in my experience where a person has been convinced thet they can get the bext price as the have trade accounts and get discount etc etc but I have beaten the price for exactly the same thing.

http://national.homebuildingshow.co.uk/en/Tips-and-Articles/how-to-cut-costs.aspx

Above article demonstrates that unless builders keep on top of their suppliers, their "trade discount" could be of no actual value to the end consumer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure