Air source heat pump costing loads in electricity.

Comments

• Thanks all, I set the heat curve slightly higher which has made us all a lot more comfortable although it's still cold in a couple of bedroomsneaky, nothing that a thicker duvet won't help.
    We're using approx 20 units overnight, that includes a smeg fridge and freezer plus charging a phone for a few hours. So I guess not too bad, although it's much milder here today.
    Just waiting to hear from nu heat who installed the ufh so will go and check all the figures out to see how ours compares in a mo.
    I have heard all the stories about nibe, it is a worry but I looked at it before we moved in and the main problem seems to be bad insulation and that they weren't used with ufh, plus weren't creating enough hot water. Weve got plenty of hot water via the panels which in theory shouldn't cost us anything. Once the weather warms up I can check how much we are using then.
    I can see myself becoming a bit obsessed with looking at meter readings! Of to Google usage monitors...
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It's worth taking a bit of time understanding how it works as you'll be more comfy and you should be able to control your costs

Keep us posted as it's useful info to others who might have one or might be contemplating getting one.

I had a lot of input into the design of my system plus an excellent installer so I know how it works, what it should do and how to control it but it still took a while to tweak it to my satisfaction
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • nancychan
    nancychan Posts: 2
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January 2019 at 11:47AM
    Hello matelodave, I wonder if you can contact me directly and help me with my ASHP settings. I've read your replies and I think I have the same Daikin as you but I can't make heads nor tails on how to operate it. My bills too are incredibly high so I think the settings are all wrong. I've sent you a private message in hope we can speak. Many thanks
  • ADVISE ALL SAMSUNG HEATSOURSE PUMP USERS TO CHECK THEIR SYSTEM !!!! We have a Samsung in a new build and it's malfunctioning. I noticed high electricity usage and compared with neighbour who has Daikin. Theirs was 2/3 of my usage. What is happening is that when the UFH is calling for heat and the hot water needs heating, the system is not switching over to HW. What it is doing is letting the HW temp fall too low in the tank and then using the backup immersion to heat the HW. This is worsened by the fact that the immersion is only immersed in the top half of the tank. We have had Samsung over and they can't fix it. They tried replacing the entire control unit to no effect. We are lucky, our developer will refund us the extra electricity cost and claim from Samsung. THIS PROBLEM IS STILL ONGOING!!
  • Dear SleekLemur

We have Samsung heat pump just fitted also about 2 months ago, our electricity usage on the pump alone is over 100kwh per day, I don't know what's going on and wandering if I have the same issue with mine as yours

Can you please send me any more information that might help me?

Our last electricity bill was £700 for the month

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Sam
  • Hi Sam, sorry for the delay. There seem to be issues with the settings for this system. Mine seems to favour using the immersion heater I've the airsource, but I checked tonight and it was using both! One issue, we were told, was that if the central heating is calling for heat, the system delays calling for heat to the HW. This seems silly, as most houses with airsource will be using UFH, so momentarily switching to HW should not mean the house gets cold. Anyway, the chap from Samsung came down AGAIN (from Preston to Suffolk!) and was convinced he'd sorted it, but he has not. I will monitor the forum better and make sure I reply to you quicker in future! Does the person who fitted your airsource have a contact at Samsung?
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    SleekLemur wrote: »
    This seems silly, as most houses with airsource will be using UFH,

Under Floor Heating is certainly the favoured method for an ASHP as it allows water to be circulated at an efficient low temperature. It is true to say many new build properties tend to use UFH.

However the majority of properties that retrofit an ASHP/GSHP do not use UFH and rely on larger radiators.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    To those that are having high elec bills with ASHP. Check the electric heat boost setting, many come with 6kw as a norm. In the menu there may be a option to change, or even disconnect that from starting with the compressor.
    I do not have details for all the models quoted, but they are usually in the service/installer settings.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • We’ve got a Daikin low temp split doing ufh only and have seen that on mornings like this with temp from 2-4, for the whole 5 hours it ran it was consuming 5kw rather than the usual 2kwh, so the heater is heating. Of course this somewhat undermines the stated cop. Does that sound like normal behaviour?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    It can be, it depend how the system has been configured. As the outside temperature reduces the heatpump has to work harder to maintain it's output however it can get to the point when it cant produce enough heat so the booster heater kicks in.

The temperature at which this happens can be adjusted or turned off altogether. The system design would probably have included a period of boost heater running at very low temperatures. Have a look at the engineering menu to see what yours has been set at.

Smaller heatpumps which are running close to their maximum output at say 0 degrees, will need to use the booster more than one that still has some headroom. In the end its a bit of a balance between the cost of a bigger heatpump or running the boost heater a bit more.

Mine was originally set for -3 but I changed it to -5 however I've turned my boost heater off so it doesn't come on at all and we don't really notice if the heatpump isn't quite managing the load.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure