Biomass wood pellet prices - bagged and bulk

Comments

• I got the Firepower ones in the black bags but you can see from Thozza's post above #67 they are the same as another brand too.
  • Thanks, I wondered which ones you bought due to your comments about the stacking. It's useful to know.
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The Luxury Wood Company have 2 more brands of pellets on their site:

KG (Kurzemes Granulas) from Latvia and Granulta from Lithuania, both ENPlus A1 and BSL listed, both in 15kg bags, 975 kg on a pallet.

KG is £199/pallet (£204.10/T) and Granulta is £219/pallet (£224.62/T).

Both have been added to the Wood Pellet Guide comparison site
  • thozza
    Some feedback on my last two deliveries of wood pellets, which were both from Baltic sources instead of my normal Balcas Brites.

AKZ pellets from Latvia, ENPlus A1 certified & BSL listed in 15kg bags, 975kg on a pallet (65 bags). Well stacked on the pallet, bags are clearly designed to nest properly on the pallet, well protected with a top layer of PE sheeting which was wrapped securely in the shrink wrap that covered the pallet. Bags themselves were thin gauge PE, but remarkably strong and pliable, much better in my opinion than the thicker PE Bags I have been used to with the Brites, particularly as they take up much less room when empty. No hand holds, but well packed so easy to handle and lift. Pellets themselves burned fine without problem, no discernible difference to Brites. Pallet was OK too and burned well in the stove.

KG (Kurzemes Granulas) again from Latvia, ENPlus A1 certified & BSL listed in 15kg bags also 975kg on a pallet (65 bags). Well stacked pallet, but the pallet itself was rather flimsy and broke during delivery (no issue to me as I re-stacked in a shed immediately but would have been if the pallet required moving). Bags thicker PE but strong enough. No hand holds, but similar shape to the AKZ so easy to handle. Again, burned well without problem.

In summary, both performed well and I would buy either again especially given the substantial price difference to the Brites.
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 January 2016 at 1:36AM
    I bought Platinum Plus from WHE after reading reviews and the manufacturers web site. Supply and delivery were first class only had one problem when a bag split open at the top. I now carry them a bit more carefully and open them by pulling the seal apart at the top.

They burn ok, but do seem to produce more ash and stain on the stove glass door than the Brites did. Not sure that I will buy again.
  • thozza
    cancunia wrote: »
    I bought Platinum Plus from WHE after reading reviews and the manufacturers web site....

They burn ok, but do seem to produce more ash and stain on the stove glass door than the Brites did...

I have noticed that the AKZ also produce a bit more ash than Brites, however as we are using them in a boiler it is not too much of a problem.

So far not noticed any difference for the KG, however Luxury Wood seems to have stopped supplying KG and now mainly promote their new own brand pellets, so I may not have an opportunity to purchase more!
  • RickMoney
    RickMoney Posts: 157 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Going to be getting another pallet of pellets shortly. Has anyone had any of the Baltic Biogran pellets?

15kg bags

Anyone have comments on their performance and packing?
  • LukasMc
    LukasMc Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 28 January 2016 at 5:12PM
    cancunia wrote: »
    Many thanks to everyone that's added info to this thread, it's been very helpful. Maybe someone in MSE could produce a comparison website for wood pellets & biomass? Doing so may well increase the competition between suppliers. Perhaps one exists already in the UK, but apart from this thread the only one I've seen is in the US.

One aspect that I'm curious about is customer service. I'm tempted to use White Horse as they look to have the best prices and their web site is well constructed / informative, plus I got a very quick email response about the availability of 'Fire Power' pellets (back again tonight apparently). Does anyone have views on WHE, or others for that matter?

many suppliers do not want the open competition and they do not want to be compared by price. I know this because I have spoken with 3 large suppliers and they are against being compared in the same way that gas and electricity suppliers are being compared on sites like moneysupermarket.com. They gives reasons for this such as varying product quality, delivery and customer service, which are all important metrics yet can easily be quantified with a statistically significant review system. At the end of the day consumers want cheaper, good quality energy from a reliable supplier and this can be compared using a comparison site. There are newer and more forward thinking suppliers coming onto the market and my only hope is that the noncompetitive types will eventually be pushed out.

Have any of you tried ringing your supplier and asking for a definitive kilowatt-hour price. Most of them will be scratching their heads in complete confusion :D Imagine if British Gas did the same :money:
    Biomass / Green Aficionado
  • thozza
    Actually there is already a very good comparison site for bagged pellets :

http://woodpelletguide.uk/

Which now gives energy content for pellets.

It gives a good overview of the nationally available pellets, highlighting the huge price difference between what are essentially the same (ENPlus A1) pellets. Obviously there are differences in things between suppliers, but not sure if they justify such huge price difference.
  • cancunia
    cancunia Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 January 2016 at 9:42AM
    LukasMc wrote: »
    suppliers do not want the open competition and they do not want to be compared by price.

Have any of you tried ringing your supplier and asking for a definitive kilowatt-hour price. Most of them will be scratching their heads in complete confusion :D Imagine if British Gas did the same :money:

Sorry for editing your post a little, I agree with your sentiments in general - a lot of suppliers seem less than keen to be compared, although we do now have the excellent http://woodpelletguide.uk/ which does a great comparison job imho.

On the second point, if suppliers are reluctant to disclose actual performance figures, ENPluss certification gives us the minimum values, so without actual figures we can assume the worst case.
    See page 7:
    http://www.enplus-pellets.eu/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/ENplusHandbook_part3_V3.0_PelletQuality_EPCinternational.pdf

WHE do publish a comparison table on their website.

Although this is only the 3rd winter I've been using pellets, I've seen a massive change in the availability of info in that time, seems to me that the market is opening up!

Ah, I see that Thozza replied while I was waffling on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure