Redten Internet offer FREE computer woth £500 if you sign up for 3 years @ £19.99 pm!

Options

Comments

• normanmark
    normanmark Posts: 4,156 Forumite
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=297046

all in there

if you want a free pc & a 3 year contract then go for it, however dont take it for a couple of months & then try to get out cos they'll take the pc back & then take a £150 charge to put it back on the shelf!

IMO

stick with a reliable ISP, you dont get anything for free these days!
  • fangbang
    fangbang Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    espresso wrote:
    Did you read the small print?
    :eek:

I don't see anything too alarming in this. It's only the price you would pay for this PC anyway. Plus you are also getting top speed broadband and a three year return to base warranty. Sell your current PC when the new one arrives and you are quids in!

I'm signing up. Ill let you know what happens! ;)
    THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT ;)
  • fangbang
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a sound business plan to me.

If you're willing to take a gamble on losing your Internet access and perhaps having your leased PC reposessed if they go bust and don't think the cost of Internet access will come down over the next three years it's probably worth a go.

The PC is not on lease, you own it. What you get when you sign up is actually a three year, interest free loan.
    THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT ;)
  • fangbang
    Options
    OK, I have decided to take the plunge and have signed up for the Redten broadband/PC offer. I'll let you know how things progress, or if I get ripped off!

THE STORY SO FAR...

08/11/06 Signed up online.
    08/11/06 Paid £49.99 connection fee.
    08/11/06 Provided MAC code from previous broadband supplier.
    THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT ;)
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    fangbang wrote:
    Plus you are also getting top speed broadband [/ QUOTE]

Are you tho ?

What if they are really slow and unreliable :confused:
  • Anarchist
    Anarchist Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    Might be worth reading through terminations due to breach of contract. If they do fail to provide an adequate service, or any at all, or if they put the price up because they can't keep it at such a low price,

Then just terminate the contract due to the breach. Depending on policy wording (or advertising - if they state its a 'free PC' when you sign up...) you will be able to leave penalty free, plus keep the PC as that was free, the contract was for the broadband.
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    fangbang wrote:
    The PC is not on lease, you own it. What you get when you sign up is actually a three year, interest free loan.

According to the terms. You only own the PC after the 3 year deal has finished. Up until this point, it is still owned by the company.

The big concern with this deal is not the PC. It is signing up for a 3 year contract with an ISP. As yet, this ISP is completely untested. No one knows how good the service will be. You don't know how good/bad their customer service will be (although another Watford Electronics company Savastore seems to have many many complaints). You don't know how they are going to apply their FUP (no amounts given in their terms.....very woolly). Their terms state that they can pass your contact details onto any of their 'partners' with no automatic opt out (be prepared for lots of marketing calls/spam).

I think that with E7 and Euro1 going bust this year, it should make anyone very cautious with signing up to a long term deal with an ISP.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • fangbang
    Options
    They do actually contradict themselves on the subject of the ownership of the PC. In the faq section, they say:
    Are you really giving away a £500 PC for free? Yes, everyone who signs up to Redten Internet for three years will get a brand new PC absolutely free. As soon as it arrives, it’s yours, and you can do whatever you want with it.
    But in their T&Cs, they say:
    The PC will remain the property of Redten until the three year contract has expired
    THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT ;)
  • Young_Les
    Options
    Launched on 4 November 2006 is a deal for broadband with a warrantied desktop PC (Pentium 4 3 GHz) with LCD display. Other frills include free Windows XP (and upgrade to Vista) and free monthly software packages.

http://www.redteninternet.com/index.html

Downside is that it's a 3 year deal tied to this ISP and BT broadband. It costs 6 weeks notice, return of the PC and £150 to get out of the contract. You can move house for an admin' fee of £50.

Does anyone have any insights or experiences of REDTEN, their parent company Watford Electronics, or this type of deal?
    :AEven Jesus saves.:A
  • identitymismatch
    Options
    fangbang wrote:
    They do actually contradict themselves on the subject of the ownership of the PC.
    Yes, looks like misleading advertising to me. This might be a get-out cluase on your behalf (while you *should* read the T&C before signing up, you *should* also expect the advertising to reflect the truth).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure