TSB were baffled

Two weeks ago we wrote a SANTANDER cheque for £100 pounds.
Two days later we noticed that £100 pounds went out of our TSB current account (we keep this topped up to £1500 to gain 3% interest)
On the TSB transaction the Santander cheque number was listed.
So we went int our local TSB and asked them to explain why they had taken £100 from our account. We then told them about the cheque and they said it was impossible/bizarre and they could not explain and they would register it as a complaint.
We then went to Santander and they were not interested in the issue, which is understandable.

We then got a letter from TSB saying they are investigating the matter.
My understanding is they have 14 days to respond.
Any guesses as to the outcome????

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,101 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What does your Santander a/c show ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • What does your Santander a/c show ?

Cheque has not been seen on Santander account.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    hamishdog wrote: »
    We then went to Santander and they were not interested in the issue, which is understandable.
    It's understandable that Santander aren't interested that a Santander cheque got [allegedly] debited against a TSB account? Really?

If this really happened, you should raise a formal, written complaint with Santander.
  • Are you sure?

This doesn’t seem legit in the slightest
  • We do not have a TSB cheque book and may have been issued with a TSB credit card but have never used it.
    We literally have two direct debits and a couple of payments in, which we transfer automatically into our Santander account.
  • What a daft load of old tripe.
  • anna42hmr
    anna42hmr Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Daft question but you don't happen to have an old santander account that you've switched to TSB in the past and therefore the cheque issued on the wrong account (i.e. closed santander account and not the current one you still have with them) has then gone through the payment transfer process in respect to switched out bank accounts??)
    MFW#105 - 2015 Overpaid £8095 / 2016 Overpaid £6983.24 / 2017 Overpaid £3583.12 / 2018 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2019 Overpaid £2583.12 / 2020 Overpaid £2583.12/ 2021 overpaid £1506.82 /2022 Overpaid £2975.28 / 2023 Overpaid £2677.30 / 2024 Target: £1800, £572.15 overpaid as at March so YTD = £355.88 Total OP since mortgage started in 2015 = £34,178.29
  • anna42hmr wrote: »
    Daft question but you don't happen to have an old santander account that you've switched to TSB in the past and therefore the cheque issued on the wrong account (i.e. closed santander account and not the current one you still have with them) has then gone through the payment transfer process in respect to switched out bank accounts??)

The Santander is a joint account. We have two TSB accounts none of the accounts have been switched.
    We think a possible explanation is that the Santander cheque was presented in our local TSB branch and the teller may have decided to make a payment from my wife's TSB account.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    hamishdog wrote: »
    The Santander is a joint account. We have two TSB accounts none of the accounts have been switched.
    We think a possible explanation is that the Santander cheque was presented in our local TSB branch and the teller may have decided to make a payment from my wife's TSB account.
    The 'teller' would have decided no such thing. Please clarify what you mean by 'the cheque was presented' in our local TSB branch? Presented to who by who and for what purpose?.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I was going to suggest that perhaps something had been mis-keyed into some system somewhere but I suppose the chances of your Santander cheque being mis-keyed in such a way that it hits your your own TSB account rather than some random stranger's account is vanishingly small
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure