Flu jab cost to NHS

Comments

• Just remember that if you get your flu jab at the Pharmacy, you free up up the doctor to do another consultation!

At our surgery, you either get the jab when you have an appointment for something else anyway or you go to a dedicated "jabbing" session, a mid-week lunchtime or a Saturday morning. All the doctors and nurses do their bit and get through a lot of people in a short time - don't know whether they get paid for the extra hours they put in (assume they do).
    2021 - mission declutter and clean - 0/2021
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The key point is have the jab- it doesn't matter who gives it.

Ensuring the people that are vulnerable get it is both a target for GPs and NHS Trusts, there is a huge cost not only financially but in terms of deaths per year if there is an outbreak of flu.

That's why the jab is available at so many places- to make it as easy as possible for people to get it.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    missile wrote: »
    I am over 65 and got my jab by the nurse at GPs. ... I was asked if I was allergic to eggs - no. It would seem I was given the less effective(?) QIVe :(
    For a person over 65 it would have been adjuvanted trivalent, aTIV. Also grown in eggs but not the same as QIVe.

Adjuvanted trivalent protects against three types of flu (trivalent) and has extra components (adjuvants) intended to produce a more effective vaccination in older people.

It's genuinely unclear whether QIVc or aTIV is most effective in those over 65 so you haven't received second best, just one of two best available on the NHS.

There's one case where QIVc would clearly be better than aTIV in those over 65: if the dominant virus in the main flu season happens to be the fourth type that's in Quadrivalent but not Trivalent. No way to know that yet, nor nine or so months ago when the four most desirable types to include were picked. While aTIV gives no protection against the fourth it may well protect better against the other three. Which is part of why either could be best in over 65s and there's no way to know yet.
  • freddie2
    freddie2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    As someone has said GPS are self employed and are paid by the NHS to give flu jabs .
    Delivering flu vaccines in pharmacies saves the NHS millions of pounds. For instance, a pilot scheme in London suggested that, on average, flu vaccination administered in a pharmacy costs the NHS up to £2.35 less than a dose administered at a GP practice.4 Pharmacists are estimated to have saved the NHS around £3m in 2017/18. (https://www.pharmacymagazine.co.uk/clinical-briefing-pharmacy-flu-jabs-save-nhs-millionsJ
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    jamesd wrote: »
    For a person over 65 it would have been adjuvanted trivalent, aTIV. Also grown in eggs but not the same as QIVe.

Adjuvanted trivalent protects against three types of flu (trivalent) and has extra components (adjuvants) intended to produce a more effective vaccination in older people.

It's genuinely unclear whether QIVc or aTIV is most effective in those over 65 so you haven't received second best, just one of two best available on the NHS.

There's one case where QIVc would clearly be better than aTIV in those over 65: if the dominant virus in the main flu season happens to be the fourth type that's in Quadrivalent but not Trivalent. No way to know that yet, nor nine or so months ago when the four most desirable types to include were picked. While aTIV gives no protection against the fourth it may well protect better against the other three. Which is part of why either could be best in over 65s and there's no way to know yet.

Many thanks for your very informative response :beer:
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • WoodyMax
    WoodyMax Posts: 146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The following paragraph is posted on my GP's website and I know the doctor receives a nice payment for giving flu jabs - a doctor last year who normally would not come out to my husband at home - suddenly arrived and gave him a flu jab when he found out he had been unable to attend the clinic at the surgery - so it must really be worth their while!

Mythbusters:

We have not asked ANY pharmacy or supermarket to give you the flu vaccine on our behalf or gather vital medical updates. We do prefer to do this ourselves please.
    You are NOT doing us a favour, or saving us time by having your flu vaccine somewhere else.
    The pharmacies and supermarkets are NOT doing us a favour by giving you the vaccine. Quite the opposite.
    Pharmacies and supermarkets do not have access to your FULL medical record/history or know you as well as we do.

unquote
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AFAIK GP practices still receive QOF points for each flu jab they give and this is then converted into a lot of cash.  Same as they do for prescribing statins and carrying out diabetes checks etc.    Our Practice couldn’t have cared less about us until OH was borderline diabetes then he was getting calls most days from the nurse and the GP asking him to go in and see them.  
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    WoodyMax said:
    The following paragraph is posted on my GP's website and I know the doctor receives a nice payment for giving flu jabs - a doctor last year who normally would not come out to my husband at home - suddenly arrived and gave him a flu jab when he found out he had been unable to attend the clinic at the surgery - so it must really be worth their while!

Mythbusters:

We have not asked ANY pharmacy or supermarket to give you the flu vaccine on our behalf or gather vital medical updates. We do prefer to do this ourselves please.
    You are NOT doing us a favour, or saving us time by having your flu vaccine somewhere else.
    The pharmacies and supermarkets are NOT doing us a favour by giving you the vaccine. Quite the opposite.
    Pharmacies and supermarkets do not have access to your FULL medical record/history or know you as well as we do.

unquote
    I have no issue with helping the nhs and gps, but I’m cynical about the last part,
    if you see a nurse for a flu jab (which might take 3 or 4 minutes) it’s extremely unlikely they have read your entire medical history.
    if you have say penicillin allergy (just an example) you often have to remind them, so they don’t even know the basics of your history let alone the whole lot.
    of course boots/Superdrug et . Don’t even has access but it’s disingenuous to suggest having access means they’ve read your entire medical history when these appointment take a few minutes.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It depends on the surgery and staff. It was obvious when I had mine that they had read the notes because I was assured that it wasn't a live vaccine so safe for me. 
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It depends on the surgery and staff. It was obvious when I had mine that they had read the notes because I was assured that it wasn't a live vaccine so safe for me. 
    I thought they reassured everyone with that line?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure