Tesco dog insurance - no age related additional excess! But how much do their premiums rise?

Hi all

I'm in the process of looking for new dog insurance. I've only had basic cover up until now, but am looking to move onto a Lifetime policy for my 5 year old mongrel.

It's becoming a two horse race between John Lewis and Tesco.

One of the things most attractive with Tesco is that they apparently do not add an additional excess or costing for dogs over a certain age. John Lewis say you pay 20% of claims when a dog reaches nine. Many insurers are worse. So I'm pleasantly surprised by Tesco.

A chap on the phone confirmed that this is the case, but he went on to say that the premiums will rise with age. I think that's a given with nearly all insurers. But it got me to wondering whether Tesco are likely to raise the premiums by a lot more to account for the lack of excess increases?

I won't find out until my dog gets older, so it's over to you guys and anyone who has had Tesco insurance. Have you found it raises premiums dis-proportionally?

Whilst on the subject, any thoughts on Tesco vs John Lewis would also be welcomed :)

Many thanks

Comments

• I can't comment on older dogs, but my two are with Tesco and so far I've found them hard to fault. The premiums were going up very slightly each year, but I had claimed little. We'll see come January what happens, as one dog has claimed £4.5k in the last few months and it's an ongoing condition.

Tesco did a pre-authorisation of my full £7.5k when my dog was diagnosed, so basically I can rock up at the vet college, hand over a form and not pay a penny. No paying in advance and waiting to claim it back. For the smaller stuff like repeat prescriptions that I do with my local vet, I scan the receipt and submit it online, and within a couple of days it's approved for payment and goes straight into my bank account.

The only thing they've done wrong was to overpay me, paying the same £300 claim twice! :D I did phone them up and pay it back.
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • Thanks for sharing - very helpful :)
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    For my 11 year old crossbreed with no claims the premiums went up from £26 to £41. They aslo increase premiums if you make a claim.

If you don't want inflating premiums then choose Petplan. They do not increase premiums if you make a claim but their premiums are higher than than many. They do increase premiums due to increased running costs.

Have you looked at Bought by Many. They get good reports and have several different policies.

Be aware that anything you consulted a vet about, whether you got treatment or not, and anything that could be related ti in future , will be excluded as a pre existing condition by a new company.
  • Insurance for my 8 1/2 year old Cocker Spaniel went up a similar amount to the previous poster from £28 to £42 per month, having never made a claim.

There seems to be a common theme with pet insurance companies where they give you a 20% discount in the first year which means the premium rises by a huge amount at renewal time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure