MSE Poll: Take our life skills test

Poll started 29 October 2019
For this week's poll, we thought it would be interesting to see how many of these 21st century life skills you can actually do, pitting the younger generation against the older generation. Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below.

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I am under 40, barely though lol.
    Can do pretty much all of them other than 2 or 3
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,275 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Interesting difference in the “wire a plug” option.

Those of us over a certain age could only buy electrical appliances without plugs on so we had to learn. Fast ;)
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bloke 45. I've done all of them except wallpaper.
    203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Over 60 and there are only 3 things on the list that I have never had to do so don't know if I can do them or not.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Over 60 and there are only 3 things on the list that I have never had to do so don't know if I can do them or not.

And i think this allows the poll results to be skewed. Many people assume they can do something, even if they havent actually tried it, as it appears a simple task, so would tick Yes. But as already pointed out, most appliances come with moulded plugs now, so very few people need to wire a plug, yet the score is high across the board. Also in the scheme of things, very few people file tax returns or have carried out CPR, but the poll results show they can.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Looks like most people can do most things!

Now, the type of nappy would be crucial! How many could put a large square towelling nappy on a wriggling baby. :)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I'm thoroughly impressed that a dog can do any of those - never mind one that's the equivalent of 420 years old....

I can do mostly the techie stuff not the DIY stuff. Not through lack of knowing where to start but due to lack of dexterity.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting.., 80% of women and 90% of men can parallel park.
    Insurance companies please note.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    XRAT wrote: »
    Interesting.., 80% of women and 90% of men can parallel park.
    Insurance companies please note.

Well I said I couldn't, because I don't, but I obviously can because I passed my test first time and parallel parking was one of the things I was tested on
  • JillieA
    JillieA Posts: 19 Forumite
    Well, XRAT and NBLondon have really perked up my morning but NBLondon must be careful - I read an epitaph in a book the other day that said: Here lies the victim of fast women and slow horses.
    Re. the poll list, I'm surprised at the omission of "Prepare a simple dinner from basic raw ingredients, without instructions" That is a crucial skill but I know a lot of people (under 65) who say they couldn't do that. I take the point made earlier though - there were a few that I didn't tick because I am too small and puny to do them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure