Widows Pension - Check it !

Options
A word of advice for those who were serving in the 1970s !

In the 70s the rules concerning Widows' Pensions were changed. Prior to 01/04/73 your service earned your widow one third of your pension, after this date you earned half. Those in service at the time were given the option to "buy back" the difference for time already served. I decided not to do this as the sum needed for the buyback seemed not to represent good value for the increase in widows' pension.

A couple of years ago I enquired as to what was the figure my widow would now receive in the event of my death.
I was told one third of my pension; I wrote and reminded them of the change of rules, and received a copy of the form I signed in 1974 and a letter saying that I had "opted out" of the half rate widows' pension. I then pointed out that I had opted out of the "buyback", not the half pension scheme in it's entirety.
It took me five letters before they finally admitted they were wrong and produced the correct figure.

Could I suggest that everyone who was serving at that time write to the pensions people and get a correct statement on your widow's pension entitlement.

9up47m.jpg

Comments

• ray_bcumbria
    Options
    Hi,
    Thanks for that. Had not heard of it and I am under the impression I opted out like yourself. Before I start writing are there any other hints etc I should quote.:T
  • oklah
    oklah Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    It's now called the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency, and I'd dare say that the email address has changed, the rest of the address is the same!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure