Electric bicycle, months of research and 300 miles in, I made the perfect electric bike decision

Options
lazer-zxr
lazer-zxr Posts: 446 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
edited 16 January 2020 at 8:51PM in Public transport & cycling
all gone now.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Isn't 1500w illegal for use on public roads in the UK..?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even mopeds, requiring a license, tax, MoT, insurance, a legal crash helmet, have been restricted to 30mph since the mid 1970s!

To be legal your ebike would have to be:
    1/ under 250 watts
    2/ max speed 15.5mph.

Above that it needs to have all that other paperwork etc...
  • lazer-zxr
    edited 6 January 2020 at 10:05AM
    Options
    I just wanted to encourage people to be a bit more green, and look at this form of economical transport that really can replace the car. UK law means it is limited to 15.5mph and 250w.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lazer-zxr wrote: »
    There's a setting in the menu that restricts it to 15.5mph and 250w. It's a simple restriction to enable

But it breaks one of the rules.
    "Its electric motor:
    must have a maximum power output of 250 watts
    should not be able to propel the bike when it’s travelling more than 15.5mph"

Yours has a maximum power of >250 watts
    Yours is ABLE to propel the bike faster than 15.5mph.

https://www.gov.uk/electric-bike-rules
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Isn't 1500w illegal for use on public roads in the UK..?

Yes, this is not remotely an e-bike as it hugely exceeds the limits. I'd assume this is closest to an e-moped due to the power levels and speeds which requires registration from the DVLA, insurance and isn't allowed to use public cycle paths.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I just wanted to encourage people to be a bit more green, and look at this form of economical transport that really can replace the car. There's a setting in the menu that restricts it to 15.5mph and 250w. It's a simple restriction to enable, and personally I ride with safety and responsibility as primary considerations when on the road. If you look at the current draw data of most ebikes labelled as 250w and legally compliant, they'll pull way more than that under normal riding conditions. At least the restriction on this bike can guarantee no more current is drawn.

Legal ebikes may draw more instantaneous power but they will never draw anywhere near as much as 1500w (at least not any I've seen) and must have a 15.5mph speed limit whereas you admit in your opening post you are definitely not using the speed limiter.

I think legal ebikes are great and highly recommend them but I can't say I'm impressed to see you boasting about what you clearly know is a completely illegal bike and being used in a completely illegal way as well. That's not something to be promoted to others at all and these types of ebikes tend to do more damage because everyone gets the blame for them.
  • lazer-zxr
    edited 6 January 2020 at 10:05AM
    Options
    I really wanted this thread to be about an fun, eco and value for money travel solution.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I am disappointed this thread isn't focussing on the many positive benefits of this form of travel, and is instead trying to shoot it down.
    It sounds really good, similar to a moped, but as its not road legal the benefits of the extra power aren't available without registration etc. I'd suspect in cities similar bikes will become justifiably popular but at 35mph potential there needs to be restrictions on how they are used with regards to licensing, insurance etc.
  • CarolynRach
    Options
    Not strictly on topic but I don't think many people know that there is an interest free loan available for ebikes in Scotland

https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/grants-loans/ebike-loan
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    These "legal" ebikes for sale also are able to draw more power than 250W, however, with the limiter engaged on my bike, my motor cannot draw more than 250w. I'd therefore argue that my bike is more compliant than others on the road.

I am disappointed this thread isn't focussing on the many positive benefits of this form of travel, and is instead trying to shoot it down.

The “limiter switch” argument cuts no ice in the U.K. IIRC - it’s the total power of the motor that is considered for matters of legality.

Competent machine or not, I have to agree that singing the praises of e-bikes but using a machine that is effectively a motorbike as an example is rather foolhardy.

You may not worry about the potential for charges/points/fines etc but other people may value any licences /insurance etc a bit more. Never mind the rather different situation for protective gear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure