Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andre_xs
    • By andre_xs 21st Sep 19, 9:51 AM
    • 123Posts
    • 26Thanks
    andre_xs
    Car insurance: Forgot to stop the renewal AND got a new one
    • 21st Sep 19, 9:51 AM
    Car insurance: Forgot to stop the renewal AND got a new one 21st Sep 19 at 9:51 AM
    Dear all,
    My car insurance (Admiral) was due for renewal on 16/09 and as usual they increased the price quite a bit. Thus, I got a new insurance (Churchill) on 24/08.

However, I forgot to cancel the Admiral / let them know that I don't want to renew. Around 16/09 I haven't gotten another renewal reminder or confirmation.

Would Admiral be informed about the new insurance and automatically not renew?

If I have two insurances now, any tips of getting out of this as cheap as possible? Clearly my fault, but may be there are rules/regulations which are helpful to know when I contact the insurers.
Page 1
    • andre_xs
    • By andre_xs 30th Sep 19, 10:33 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    andre_xs
    • 30th Sep 19, 10:33 AM
    • 30th Sep 19, 10:33 AM
    Just in case somebody has the same problem and is looking for a solution here:
    - Indeed I had two insurances on the same car (and paid for both the full annual price)
    - Within 2 weeks of the renewal, cancellation fees were 25 with Admiral (old insurer who had renewed) and 0 with Churchill (new insurer, cooling off period).
    - After 2 weeks, cancellation with Admiral is 50 and with Churchill 55. Plus the pro-rata payment of the insurance (which was in my case just 9 for 2 weeks with Churchill)

- I first called Admiral, and they virtually matched the price of Churchill, so I quit Churchill. In the end, the whole thing cost me only 14 (and 30 min on the phone in total)

- What I wasn't aware of: Although I did the contract with Churchill mid-August (and already received paperwork, etc), the cover only started on 16th Sept. They said the cooling off period would be two weeks from the start of cover (16/09) and not of when I did the contract / got the paperwork. Maybe it's the norm, but I was happily surprised.

And also just to note, both customer services were very friendly and helpful. Didn't wait more than 5-10 min in the phone line.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,695Users online

Martin's Twitter