Advice please - Truck hit house

Options
Hi

My house is at the end of narrow road, and a truck has ignored the "No Through Road" sign, then attempted to turn around. In the process, he's hit the house. The police were called we were given the incident number.

The damage appears to be superficial but we'd like a stone mason to review and advise what needs done to restore it.

Does anyone have any experience with dealing with companies in instances like this? Ideally, I'd rather not go through my home insurance as I'll lose my no claims and my premiums will increase but will I be forced to do you think?

Or is there a chance the driver's company might want to settle quickly and quietly?

Also, is there any chance of any compensation element do you think? I'm not after a lot but my partner got a real fright and is upset so AIBU to expect a gesture of goodwill as well?

I've been fortunate to never have claimed on any insurance policy so any advice on how best to proceed would be appreciated.

Comments

• JGB1955
    JGB1955 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You'll have to tell your insurance company, whether you claim or not. What if something becomes apparent in 10 years time, due to the incident? Claim now... that's what you pay your insurance premium for.
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2024 - £1 a day challenge. £131 of £366
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have to claim. It needs a structural engineer really. You don' know what hidden damage it's done - and need to get it dealt with properly now.

Go through your insurance.... you'll be glad you did if you spot movement in 1-3 years' time or want to sell it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure