Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leahsfx
    • By leahsfx 19th Sep 19, 3:45 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    leahsfx
    Holiday entitlement help
    • 19th Sep 19, 3:45 PM
    Holiday entitlement help 19th Sep 19 at 3:45 PM
    I hope someone out there can shed some light as google searches have confused me more!

Iíve accepted a new job and trying to work out if the holiday entitlement offered is correct as my hours change in half term.

I will be working 37.5 hrs (mon, wed, fri 8.5hrs each & tue, thurs 6hrs each) term time (38wks)
    And then 25.5hrs (mon, wed, fri 8.5hrs per day) in the half terms (13wks)

How do I even begin to know my holiday entitlement is correct? Iíve tried online calculators but the mix of term time/half term hours is confusing.
    Please can anyone work this out?
    Thank you
Page 1
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 19th Sep 19, 5:20 PM
    • 19,652 Posts
    • 20,477 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:20 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:20 PM
    I think you can probably work it out by working out what hours you are working each week averaged over the whole year.

You say that you work 37.5 hours for 38 weeks of the year (are you sure, or does this include unpaid lunch breaks?) - a total of 1425 hours
    And then 25.5 hours for 13 weeks - a total of 331.5 hours

Total yearly hours worked - 1756.5

What I then did was to divide this by 365 and multiply by 7 to give average weekly hours. Mr Excel tells me the answer is 33.6863 hours.

Finally you multiply this by 5.6 to get the number of hours each year which are due to you as holiday - 188.64

(If your 37.5 hours includes an hour's unpaid break each day, the holiday comes to 184.56 hours)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 19th Sep 19, 6:33 PM
    • 37,405 Posts
    • 23,083 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 19th Sep 19, 6:33 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 6:33 PM
    There is a week missing.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 19th Sep 19, 7:44 PM
    • 19,652 Posts
    • 20,477 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:44 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:44 PM
    Yes, I realise that 38+13 doesn't equal 52 (in fact, more than a week missing as there more than 52 weeks in the year) but this is irrelevant unless the missing time is already being paid for in some way. All I've done is to work out the annual hours, and the holiday due on those holiday hours.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • leahsfx
    • By leahsfx 20th Sep 19, 7:17 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leahsfx
    • 20th Sep 19, 7:17 PM
    • 20th Sep 19, 7:17 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to work this all out for me. I will look over it and see if it all adds up.
    Not really sure if the company is including bank holidays or Xmas etc. May have to speak to HR but wanted to understand the logistics before I did lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,246Posts Today

7,792Users online

Martin's Twitter