Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • meerustar
    • By meerustar 19th Sep 19, 9:32 AM
    • 7,980Posts
    • 20,015Thanks
    meerustar
    Personal Injury claim
    • 19th Sep 19, 9:32 AM
    Personal Injury claim 19th Sep 19 at 9:32 AM
    Long story short.

Son had an accident last weekend and has badly injured his face. He had to have surgery on Sunday, lots of stitches in his eyelid, eyebrow and forehead. Scarred for life

Son fell down a hole from roadworks. 2 people from the company are coming out to see him today to find out what happened. Massive company, everyone has heard of them!

Is there anything I should ask them or anything I should not disclose to them regarding the accident.

He will be making a personal injury claim down the line, but at the moment we are just focusing on his face.

Thanks
Page 1
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Sep 19, 9:51 AM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 19th Sep 19, 9:51 AM
    • 19th Sep 19, 9:51 AM
    We’re there markings?
    Do you have photos?

Do you have legal cover on your household insurance.
    If you have access to a helpline it might be worth putting that question to a solicitor and asking whether you should speak to them at all !

I would say you should not disclose any fault on his part (if that’s the case) e.g. he ignored the signs.
    • meerustar
    • By meerustar 19th Sep 19, 10:04 AM
    • 7,980 Posts
    • 20,015 Thanks
    meerustar
    • 19th Sep 19, 10:04 AM
    • 19th Sep 19, 10:04 AM
    We’re there markings?
    Do you have photos?

Do you have legal cover on your household insurance.
    If you have access to a helpline it might be worth putting that question to a solicitor and asking whether you should speak to them at all !

I would say you should not disclose any fault on his part (if that’s the case) e.g. he ignored the signs.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    There are barriers around the hole, but two of them had fallen in. There are no boards covering the hole. There must be 30+ holes dug up on the street right now as gas pipes are being replaced.

I have lots of photos. Of the hole he fell in, his face before and after surgery. It seems he was knocked out too as the blood and mud on his face was dry when he got home! (I shiver at the thought of him lay down there)

I will check my house insurance now. I'm not sure if there is cover on that, so I'll check.

To be completely honest, claiming right now is the last thing we want to do. Maybe further down the line. He has to go to Maxillofacial tomorrow to have some stitches removed and they want to see him 3 months later to see how the scarring is doing and if they need to operate further (I'm not a medic, but seems to be healing well to me)

I phoned this company and blasted them as I was so angry at the time. Two representatives are calling this afternoon. Customer Manager and Health and Safety Manager. Now I'm nervous as they'll know exactly what to say and I won't!

I want to record them so I can listen back afterwards as I'm guessing they'll baffle me and make out all this is my sons fault.

(Irony is, they are digging two huge holes outside my house now as I type and I want to go out and thrown them down the holes ... I'm an angry Mum right now)
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 19th Sep 19, 10:14 AM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 1,345 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 19th Sep 19, 10:14 AM
    • 19th Sep 19, 10:14 AM
    In addition to the potential legal cover in your home insurance, check if you have free legal advice from any other membership / premium bank account. For example RAC offer free legal advise (not cover) with their breakdown cover.

How did he end up in the hole, if there were barriers even fallen ones, should be obvious, especially if the whole area is riddled with them. Was he distracted on his phone?
    • meerustar
    • By meerustar 19th Sep 19, 10:19 AM
    • 7,980 Posts
    • 20,015 Thanks
    meerustar
    • 19th Sep 19, 10:19 AM
    • 19th Sep 19, 10:19 AM
    In addition to the potential legal cover in your home insurance, check if you have free legal advice from any other membership / premium bank account. For example RAC offer free legal advise (not cover) with their breakdown cover.

How did he end up in the hole, if there were barriers even fallen ones, should be obvious, especially if the whole area is riddled with them. Was he distracted on his phone?
    Originally posted by sal_III
    He doesn't know! He came home at 5am (he had been out for his b'day). He'd had a drink but wasn't really drunk. He remembers the whole evening and taxi home to his friends house (2 mins walk from ours) and remembers walking home. The last he remembers is falling in the hole and even knew which one it was! (as it is outside another friends house) but then remembers nothing until he was in A&E.

We don't have personal insurance on house insurance. We don't have breakdown assistance as we have relatively new cars (I know, I know) so not sure what to do on that front yet.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Sep 19, 10:31 AM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 19th Sep 19, 10:31 AM
    • 19th Sep 19, 10:31 AM
    You could ask them if you can record the conversation.
    Don’t talk to them if you don’t want to.

If you have no insurance then it would be up to you or your son (depending on his age) to pursue a claim.
    There are plenty of no-win no fee solicitors who won’t charge you up front for this although you’ll need to be clear on whether their fees come from the guilty party or from your sons payout.

No rush, he has 3 years if he’s not a minor (longer if a minor).
    Sometimes it can take a while to asses the long term impact of injuries.
    Don’t rush any decisions and don’t talk to them if you don’t want to (just say you’re too angry right now).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,580Posts Today

5,947Users online

Martin's Twitter