Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jimb73
    • By Jimb73 17th Sep 19, 4:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jimb73
    Threats to UK pension savers
    • 17th Sep 19, 4:06 PM
    Threats to UK pension savers 17th Sep 19 at 4:06 PM
    Hi there I am after a huge favour. Is there an expert out there that can help me with finding what are the 3 main threats to pension savers in this country. Doesn't have to be a great volume of info just the main issues and i can research this further please!
Page 2
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 18th Sep 19, 8:55 AM
    • 6,737 Posts
    • 10,935 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Future restrictions on contributions (further cuts to the AA, LTA, withdrawal of tax relief, etc)
    Not saving enough
    Crap investments (e.g. absolute return)
    The Labour Party

...I'll come in again.
    • GSP
    • By GSP 18th Sep 19, 9:19 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    GSP
    - Unaccepting undemocratic remainers. They lost, this country will never move on until the 2016 result is implemented.
    Until the above happens, and for just about every post above that, this very unsettling Brexit saga as for its longitude is actually creating more division and I really fear what the end result may be in that people will be pitted against people. I fear this will grow into very very serious stuff if a decision is not made very very soon.
    How anyone can look past this until it is sorted out but the fact is rightly or wrongly the result has to be implemented. That's how democracy works and the losers will just have to "lump it" until a new vote is cast.
    But implement the result in the first instance. The minority vote appears to be having its way and is not how it works. The ones with the most votes wins, and the change happens.
    Sorry for the rant, but changes to pensions etc is unlikely to happen until this is all sorted.
    At the moment, we are stuck in a vacuum and will be there for the foreseeable.
    Last edited by GSP; 18-09-2019 at 9:23 AM.
    • Mordko
    • By Mordko 18th Sep 19, 10:14 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Mordko
    Really isn’t fair to say that Corbyn alone represents risks numbers 1, 2 and 3. Shadow Chancellor is just as much of a risk with his urge to confiscate and try Marxism one more time because attempt number 35789 is bound to work.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 18th Sep 19, 10:37 AM
    • 22,813 Posts
    • 104,489 Thanks
    michaels
    Living too long
    Cool heads and compromise
    • Albermarle
    • By Albermarle 18th Sep 19, 10:56 AM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 995 Thanks
    Albermarle
    Although I have made great use of it , higher rate tax relief has got to be the main pension perk in the firing line one day . It's basically the opposite of wealth redistribution .
    Also I struggle to understand how the loophole of salary sacrifice is allowed to continue . HMRC must be losing at least a few hundred millions , a lot of it to private companies .
    I do not think they will touch the TFLS as it is popular and well known/understood by the general public.
    • Crabby
    • By Crabby 18th Sep 19, 11:23 AM
    • 786 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Crabby
    what are the 3 main threats to pension savers in this country.

As michaels says, Living too long.

Also, not living long enough (to collect, (which contains a whole host of threats in itself)).

Zombie Apocalypse.
    Winner winner, Chicken dinner.
    • username901
    • By username901 18th Sep 19, 2:29 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    username901
    Divorce probably!
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 18th Sep 19, 2:33 PM
    • 64,813 Posts
    • 57,211 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Living too long
    Originally posted by michaels
    UK appears to be levelling off. Unhealthy lifestyles for many.

Will make annuities better value.
    “If the financial system has a defect, it is that it reflects and magnifies what we human beings are like. Money amplifies our tendency to overreact, to swing from exuberance when things are going well to deep depression when they go wrong. Booms and busts are products, at root, of our emotional volatility.”
    ― Niall Ferguson
    • Anonymous101
    • By Anonymous101 18th Sep 19, 2:53 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 1,132 Thanks
    Anonymous101
    Personally:
    Change in policy
    Poorer investment returns than forecast (by me)
    Inflation outstripping returns

Generally:
    Lack of understanding
    Lack of willingness to understand
    Thinking that you can't make a difference to your future
    • bonnyrigger
    • By bonnyrigger 18th Sep 19, 3:06 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    bonnyrigger
    Tories crashing the economy with a no deal Brexit, thick as mince leavers thinking they know better than 95% of the business leaders and economists, Trumpet starting a major war before he's booted out of office.
    Right-whingers shouldn't bring politics into this forum - but since they started it...............................
    • Triumph13
    • By Triumph13 18th Sep 19, 3:23 PM
    • 1,509 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Triumph13
    Wealth taxes by a hard left government
    Collapse of world economy following a pandemic
    Stagflation
    • Zola.
    • By Zola. 18th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    Zola.
    Zombie Apocalypse
    Jesus Returning
    Not investing enough
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Sep 19, 3:53 PM
    • 9,209 Posts
    • 21,375 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Hi there I am after a huge favour. Is there an expert out there that can help me with finding what are the 3 main threats to pension savers in this country. Doesn't have to be a great volume of info just the main issues and i can research this further please!
    Originally posted by Jimb73
    Not sure what you mean by expert as you will get all sorts of conflicting suggestions as indeed you already have.

In my view the main threats to pension savers are

Low returns or worldwide recessions.
    constant tinkering with regulations/moving goalposts and pension taxation by the government of the time.
    saving behaviour of some people and short term thinking. It is perfectly possible for people to withdraw hefty sums of money from their pension pots even before they retire and blow it all on a holiday home in Spain or flashy car leaving themselves nothing to live off.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 18th Sep 19, 4:08 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    SonOf
    Tories crashing the economy with a no deal Brexit, thick as mince leavers thinking they know better than 95% of the business leaders and economists, Trumpet starting a major war before he's booted out of office.
    Right-whingers shouldn't bring politics into this forum - but since they started it...............................
    Originally posted by bonnyrigger
    Brexit wont actually have much direct impact for most investors. (and what there has been so far has been positive due to the fall in sterling)

Corbyn is a far greater threat to people's wealth. That is not political posturing but just a reality of his policy proposals.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 18th Sep 19, 4:13 PM
    • 5,442 Posts
    • 7,470 Thanks
    ColdIron
    Zombie Apocalypse.
    Originally posted by Crabby
    Zombie Apocalypse
    Originally posted by Zola.
    In my view this is an underrated worry. When we're all living in places only accessible by ladder you will rue the day that you poo pooed the risk
    • davidr1964
    • By davidr1964 18th Sep 19, 5:30 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    davidr1964
    Inflation
    The Labour Party
    The 'Liberal' 'Democrats'
    • ffacoffipawb
    • By ffacoffipawb 18th Sep 19, 6:29 PM
    • 2,915 Posts
    • 2,045 Thanks
    ffacoffipawb
    Inflation
    The Labour Party
    The 'Liberal' 'Democrats'
    Originally posted by davidr1964
    I don't think the Lib Dems are a risk even if they got into power. Jo Swinson is a breath of fresh air.
    Retired: Financial Independence achieved in June 2019.

Cofiwch Dryweryn
    • GSP
    • By GSP 18th Sep 19, 9:06 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    GSP
    Jo Swinson is a breath of fresh air.
    Originally posted by ffacoffipawb
    Jo Swinson and all other unaccepting remainers should be held to account trying to incite riots.
    Does she really think that 17.4 million are just going to accept their winning majority vote is cancelled?
    The lack of vision from remainers and what the real world is about is startling.
    • Mordko
    • By Mordko 18th Sep 19, 9:45 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Mordko
    Brexit wont actually have much direct impact for most investors. (and what there has been so far has been positive due to the fall in sterling)

Corbyn is a far greater threat to people's wealth. That is not political posturing but just a reality of his policy proposals.
    Originally posted by SonOf
    I do think Brexit and trade disruptions pose a serious risk, particularly in the short term. There are 10M scenarios so hard to predict. It’s just that if Corbyn&McDonnell were to come with their confiscatory policies, major damage to pensions would be a certainty.
    Last edited by Mordko; 19-09-2019 at 11:13 PM.
    • Turpinr
    • By Turpinr 19th Sep 19, 6:08 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Turpinr
    Jo Swinson has the same voting record as Jacob Rees-Mogg.
    She may be a remainer but she's also a Tory at heart
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

2,687Users online

Martin's Twitter