Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 17th Sep 19, 2:38 PM
    • 209Posts
    • 88Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Would it be wrong to keep compensation for a flight my employer paid for?
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:38 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Would it be wrong to keep compensation for a flight my employer paid for? 17th Sep 19 at 2:38 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

On a recent business trip to the USA, my return flight was overbooked, so the airline offered passengers $800 to fly the next day instead. Delaying my flight wouldn't have affected my return to work as it was over a weekend, but as my company paid for my flights, I wasn't sure I should take the offer. Next time, would it be wrong to fly later and keep the compensation for myself?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 17th Sep 19, 2:50 PM
    • 3,821 Posts
    • 2,002 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:50 PM
    Haven't we had this one before! 🤔

Trying living in my world sunshine, been sent home early twice - does my employer carry on still paying erm NO.

How's about you run it past the CAB.
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • El Torro
    • By El Torro 17th Sep 19, 2:50 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    El Torro
    In a situation like this I'd say it's pretty clear cut that the employee can take the compensation and keep the money. They are not losing any work time and it is eating into their own weekend.

Personally if I were in this situation and it did mean getting back late for work I'd still take the compensation and keep the money. My employer's pretty relaxed about such things though, other companies may not be.
    • KatrinaWaves
    • By KatrinaWaves 17th Sep 19, 3:08 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    KatrinaWaves
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:08 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:08 PM
    Haven't we had this one before! 🤔

Trying living in my world sunshine, been sent home early twice - does my employer carry on still paying erm NO.

How's about you run it past the CAB.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    I'm concerned you have lost all reading comprehension...
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 17th Sep 19, 3:20 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 5,175 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:20 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:20 PM
    Same as when you last asked. Use the search function, just like everyone else.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 17th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    REJP
    • 17th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 7:46 PM
    Your employer paid already for the flight.
    The 800 dollars is to compensate you for inconvenience and presumably go towards hotel room overnight plus meals etc. Spend what you need to be comfortable and safe, if any left give it to your employer who can decide if you should keep it or not. Chances are the employer will find out about the compensation anyway so it shows you to be an honest employee.
    I am assuming you would be on an expense account paid by your employer, so it is a no brainer to offer to give the money you did not use to the employer You never know, you might even be told to keep what you have left of the 800 dollars to make up for the inconvenience. Better than being sacked for what might be viewed by some as theft? You can bet that if you don't tell your employer what happened, someone else will.
    Last edited by REJP; 17-09-2019 at 7:52 PM. Reason: Correcting mistake in last sentence regarding hotel stay.
    • Johnru
    • By Johnru 17th Sep 19, 8:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Johnru
    • 17th Sep 19, 8:05 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 8:05 PM
    Provided you are not on company time; YOU are the one being inconvenienced, not your employer. so the compensation should be yours. However, if in doubt, ask your manager. Compensation is NOT a refund of the ticket price - it's a payment because YOU were inconvenienced. If the delay meant you missed a company meeting, then it[s a different matter. If you've a good boss and you stay in communication, he may allow you to keep it anyway.
    • jonam.forum
    • By jonam.forum 17th Sep 19, 8:07 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jonam.forum
    • 17th Sep 19, 8:07 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 8:07 PM
    Work has paid for you to travel there and for your time working. The airline is paying you to spend a day of your personal time so it’s your money.
    If it would result in a day off work it’d be different
    • renifer7
    • By renifer7 17th Sep 19, 9:36 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    renifer7
    • 17th Sep 19, 9:36 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 9:36 PM
    Same as when you last asked. Use the search function, just like everyone else.
    Originally posted by ReadingTim
    Sorry, but isn't this post selected by the MSE team? As such isn't it their "fault" if the question is repeated??

Must...remember...cashback......
    • KatrinaWaves
    • By KatrinaWaves 17th Sep 19, 10:42 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 1,975 Thanks
    KatrinaWaves
    Sorry, but isn't this post selected by the MSE team? As such isn't it their "fault" if the question is repeated??
    Originally posted by renifer7
    Apparently real people send in these random daft ‘moral’ dilemmas. I think they’re just clickbait to drive people to the forums.

You do occasionally get a random new poster stating this was actually their dilemma but... call me a sceptic.
    • Cimscate
    • By Cimscate 18th Sep 19, 8:14 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    Cimscate
    Who cares
    Just make your own decision, most people would take it I'm sure!!
    • Ruth F
    • By Ruth F 18th Sep 19, 10:07 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ruth F
    In short: no
    You can accept this money for yourself (obviously if it eats into your working week, that's a different question). The compensation is for your personal time and inconvenience, and to give an incentive for you to take a later flight, if the airline has overbooked your original flight. This also applies to delays to train travel booked for you by your employer in connection with work. I checked this question while working in the customer service centre for a train company, and that is pretty much verbatim the answer I was given. If you are uncomfortable taking this much money, then you can give some or all of it to charity.
    • newwiseman
    • By newwiseman 18th Sep 19, 11:16 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    newwiseman
    Not wrong at all. It is you who will have been inconvenienced, not your company.
    • crmism
    • By crmism 18th Sep 19, 3:43 PM
    • 173 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    crmism
    Compensation
    The question you need to ask yourself is - who was inconvenienced? You or your employer?

It most definitely was not your employer, who hadn't suffered at all; it was you, as the return flight was in your own time over the weekend so, on that occasion, you were perfectly entitled to keep the money.

As to a possible recurrence, I don't think you should deliberately delay a return flight on your own account as it wouldn't be the same situation. Only if the airline compels you to delay your flight should you treat the money as goodwill for wasting a day of your own time.
    • RHD TJ
    • By RHD TJ 19th Sep 19, 8:41 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    RHD TJ
    In short... No.
    A longer answer is...

Under EU Regulation 261/2004 (EU 261) only the passenger is entitled to the compensation. Only the passenger can claim, as the money is to compensate them for the inconvenience. The money is only for the passenger.

The employer can't claim compensation as it isn't entitled to it.

(Thread Closed)
    • wolvoman
    • By wolvoman 19th Sep 19, 3:43 PM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    wolvoman
    A longer answer is...

Under EU Regulation 261/2004 (EU 261) only the passenger is entitled to the compensation. Only the passenger can claim, as the money is to compensate them for the inconvenience. The money is only for the passenger.

The employer can't claim compensation as it isn't entitled to it.

(Thread Closed)
    Originally posted by RHD TJ
    The original post had nothing to do with EU261, it was the airline offering incentives for taking a later flight. It was voluntary offloading not involuntary which EU261 can cover.

So thread is still open I'm afraid.
    • gerryseaton
    • By gerryseaton 20th Sep 19, 9:47 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gerryseaton
    Gerry
    As you didn't use it this time, ask your employer now so if it happens again you know for certain. Personally as it is in your time Id presume it's yours for losing the time. But best to check as a job isn't worth $800 or having a bad reference.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

861Posts Today

7,375Users online

Martin's Twitter