Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 17th Sep 19, 1:46 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Afrapp88
    Hit and run damaged my parked car: foreign lorry and total loss: PLEASE HELP ME
    • 17th Sep 19, 1:46 PM
    Hit and run damaged my parked car: foreign lorry and total loss: PLEASE HELP ME 17th Sep 19 at 1:46 PM
    Hi everyone,

I am utterly ignorant in this matter and I will get straight to the point: my car, a 9 year-old but perfectly well kept and working Vauxhall Corsa, bought one year ago for about £4,000, got hit by a lorry driver who smashed off my rear-view mirror and left some scratch and indentation on the driver door and on the panel above the front-right wheel. I have two witnesses and a picture of the registration plate, which seems non-UK but still EU. I have a comprehensive insurance with Admiral. On the phone, the agent told me it might be that, based on the description of the damages I gave her, the car will be deemed a total loss. I moved in the UK one year and a half ago, and I am utterly ignorant in this matter. Here are my questions, if you would be so nice to help me out understand where I stand:

1 - The agent told me it might take a lot of time to get hold of the third-party insurance because of the fact it's foreign. Is that really so?

2 - I have been told that if the car is deemed total loss, they will offer me a sum for it. I guess I will have to negotiate. What I don't understand is, the only critical repair is replacing the rear view mirror. I can keep the scratches and indents, I don't care. How can replacing a rear view mirror cost that much? Can't they just repair the mirror? I can't believe it would cost more than £1000.

3 - If they deem the car a total loss, what are my options? She mentioned something about the car being categorised. In this case, the damage is not structural as the chassis and structural parts are intact, it's just a repairable damage. What can I do?

Please, help me out. My girlfriend and I took a long time before we found this amazing car, and we cannot believe it can get destroyed for such a minor damage and we cannot afford another one so well kept (we had also just put new all-season tyres on which cost a bit).

Thank you so much for any help

Best,
    Andrew
Page 2
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Sep 19, 1:31 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Never expected I can TELL the insurance company to do something, I was asking what are the odds ASKING them might work.
    Originally posted by Afrapp88
    I think I gave you two opinions on that (mine and sals) and jumble bumble has illustrated a possible business reason why they might do things in certain ways.

I don’t think it will work because I think they have procedures that have been checked as legally watertight plus wholesale (discounted) deals for the firms they deal with.

If they do a duff repair on yours how do they know there won’t be comeback? Should they spend lots of money creating a legal a legal disclaimer just for your case?

In your position I would certainly ask but expect a no.

Also because of excess, loss of NCD over several years, plus loading for several years, small claims do not make financial sense. Protected NcD only covers part of that if you have it.

Have you priced up any repairs yet?
    I’d be getting a quote for doing it properly and another for doing the repair that you actually want.
    Normally you can get these within 20-30 mins if you can fix up your car to drive.
    Last edited by lisyloo; 19-09-2019 at 2:47 PM.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 19th Sep 19, 1:33 PM
    • 744 Posts
    • 1,372 Thanks
    bigisi
    Well it's easy then, I will never accept the write off and never accept the payout and keep my bloody car. Only frustrated I have to go through all this when it's not even my fault and I have witnesses and photographs Sort of like twice the victim. Or even thrice, considering my premium can will potentially even go up! And the lorry driver, who can still potentially be driving on UK soil, gets away with it like it was nothing. He can potentially be the one who will scratch your cars too and there is no way of preventing it (like blocking him from driving in the UK) unless I try legal action, for which I have no time nor will nor money.
    Shock horror, life's not fair. Who'd have guessed?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Sep 19, 1:34 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Well it's easy then, I will never accept the write off and never accept the payout and keep my bloody car. Only frustrated I have to go through all this when it's not even my fault and I have witnesses and photographs Sort of like twice the victim. Or even thrice, considering my premium can potentially even go up! And the lorry driver, who can still potentially be driving on UK soil, gets away with it like it was nothing. He can potentially be the one who will scratch your cars too and there is no way of preventing it (like blocking him from driving in the UK) unless I try legal action, for which I have no time nor will nor money.
    Itís good to research things, but itís not good if you are getting upset over a scenario that might not happen.
    We donít know that your car is a write off.
    How are you getting on with quotes? (Iíd be getting 2 or 3).

I know youíre upset but people donít get blocked from driving because they scratched someone elseís car.

Did you report the incident to the Police?
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 19th Sep 19, 1:41 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    @bigisi life is not fair when we make it so. So keep your patronising lessons to yourself, please.

By the way, all your posts to this feed are derisive. Can you kindly please abstain if you have nothing useful to say and maybe spend your time in what I am sure would be a more interesting way both for you and for me? I would really appreciate. Nobody is forcing you to read and answer to my questions if you find them silly.
    Last edited by Afrapp88; 19-09-2019 at 3:53 PM.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 19th Sep 19, 1:44 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    @lisyloo I did report it to police. They told me they can't do anything since it's a foreign lorry, even though it's a EU registration plate which I find insane.

And by the way, you're right, people don't get blocked from.driving if they scratch a car. But damaging someone else's property and fleeing the scene is illegal and, theoretically speaking, worth of prosecution. It's called hit and run, even if nobody was injured.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Sep 19, 2:02 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    @lisyloo I did report it to police. They told me they can't do anything since it's a foreign lorry, even though it's a EU registration plate which I find insane.

And by the way, you're right, people don't get blocked from.driving if they scratch a car. But damaging someone else's property and fleeing the scene is illegal and, theoretically speaking, worth of prosecution. It's called hit and run, even if nobody was injured.
    I totally agree.
    The only thing Iíd say is that sometimes lorry drivers are not aware of hitting things, but I am surprised the police canít/wonít do anything.

Do you have independent witnesses or a dash cam?

It might be that the police cannot do anything on your word alone.
    They have to be able to prove it to make a criminal prosecution.

Yes itís unfair, agree on both counts (the insurance and the hit & run), but please donít get too upset about scenarios that might not happen.
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 19th Sep 19, 2:09 PM
    • 1,438 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    "The amounts are obviously just examples"

Of course, I got that at least I guess I will wait for them to contact me back. I'm pretty sure that if it's gonna be written off it'll be in category N or maybe S (it's not clear to me what "structural damage" means...I assume the rearview mirror is not a structural part of the car but still a damage that makes it unsafe to drive).
    Many years ago there was clip on wing mirrors that attached to the door frame or window...might get you back on the road as a stop gapÖif you can find one? Modify caravan mirrors?
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 19th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    I totally agree.
    The only thing Iíd say is that sometimes lorry drivers are not aware of hitting things, but I am surprised the police canít/wonít do anything.

Do you have independent witnesses or a dash cam?

It might be that the police cannot do anything on your word alone.
    They have to be able to prove it to make a criminal prosecution.

Yes itís unfair, agree on both counts (the insurance and the hit & run), but please donít get too upset about scenarios that might not happen.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    I had one eye witness, who saw the lorry driver getting out after the crash, checking my car and possibly taking the detached mirror with him because the eye witness couldn't find it immediately afterwards while checking the damage and is certain it was there BEFORE the crash. The other is a "sound" witness who heard the crash and took the picture of the lorry right next to my car (it's clearly the front, bottom right corner of the container that hit it and scratched it).

In the police report, that I filed online, I mentioned the existence of the witnesses, gave their contact details and said there is a picture. They called me to tell me that if it's a foreign lorry it's out of their jurisdiction. Couldn't say much except accepting it, it didn't sound there was much room for "negotiations". My personal view? It's not that they can't, it's that they cannot be bothered to look into that for just a scratched car, even though it's technically a hit and run. I cannot believe they cannot look into it with all the evidence I was ready to provide and considering we're talking about a EU lorry, not a Kazakhstan one.
    Last edited by Afrapp88; 19-09-2019 at 3:38 PM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Sep 19, 3:50 PM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I don't believe they can't look into it either and I think they are fobbing you off. You have my sympathies, but I'd concentrate on getting prices for both routes (the insurance repairs and your repairs) rather than thinking about worst case scenarios.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 19th Sep 19, 3:55 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    I don't believe they can't look into it either and I think they are fobbing you off. You have my sympathies, but I'd concentrate on getting prices for both routes (the insurance repairs and your repairs) rather than thinking about worst case scenarios.
    Thank you so much for your understanding. I will do as you wisely suggest. I am waiting for my trusted garage to send me an estimate of the price of the repairs after I sent them the pictures. Will do the same with other garages as well. Thank you very much for taking the time and having the patience to reply to my posts
    • brianposter
    • By brianposter 20th Sep 19, 5:49 PM
    • 470 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    brianposter
    Another possibility is that you identify the lorry and find their insurer, and then claim from them.
    For example, if it were a Spanish insurer they could be made to compensate for the damage in cash and, in reality, you could end up with a fairly satisfactory result.
    Where was the lorry registered ?
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 24th Sep 19, 2:34 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    Another possibility is that you identify the lorry and find their insurer, and then claim from them.
    For example, if it were a Spanish insurer they could be made to compensate for the damage in cash and, in reality, you could end up with a fairly satisfactory result.
    Where was the lorry registered ?
    Originally posted by brianposter
    I have no idea, the only things I have are two witnesses and a registration plates, probably Hungarian but definitely from oversea EU. The lorry must have come from a warehouse nearby as that's the only one in the otherwise merely residential street, probably a delivery or a pick up for export, who knows. Shouldn't this be the job of police?? I can't go knocking on doors asking for such infos.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 25th Sep 19, 11:29 AM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Shouldn't this be the job of police?? I can't go knocking on doors asking for such infos.
    No. The police deal with criminal matters (which I agree they should), but what brianposter was referring to was compensation for civil damages which are not a police matter.

The suggestion is claiming from the 3rd party insurer which is more complicated as it’s not UK.
    As regards knocking on doors, why can’t you make phone calls and use the internet?
    I would expect the format of the number plate to reveal the country by doing some amateur research on the internet.

If you are not very good at doing research or time constrained then I’d recommend a stand alone legal insurance for the future. I say standalone as an attached one might only be used in connection with a claim. This won’t help you for this incident but would be a good idea for the future. I use this company
    https://memonline.co.uk/
    I’ve never made a claim but my research says they are legit (FCA registered etc.)
    Last edited by lisyloo; 25-09-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 26th Sep 19, 8:48 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    No. The police deal with criminal matters (which I agree they should), but what brianposter was referring to was compensation for civil damages which are not a police matter.

The suggestion is claiming from the 3rd party insurer which is more complicated as itís not UK.
    As regards knocking on doors, why canít you make phone calls and use the internet?
    I would expect the format of the number plate to reveal the country by doing some amateur research on the internet.

If you are not very good at doing research or time constrained then Iíd recommend a stand alone legal insurance for the future. I say standalone as an attached one might only be used in connection with a claim. This wonít help you for this incident but would be a good idea for the future. I use this company
    https://memonline.co.uk/
    Iíve never made a claim but my research says they are legit (FCA registered etc.)
    I'm sorry, but failure to stop and report an accident and provide your name and details is an offence under Section 170 Road Traffic Act 1988 in the UK, even if you do not harm anyone: "A person who fails to comply with subsection (2) or (3) [provide contact details and/or report the incident, ed.] above is guilty of an offence." So yes, it is a criminal act and it was my legit right to report it to the police. Now, if the police cannot be bothered to look into this, it's a whole other story which I can partially understand.

How can I claim on the 3rd party insurance if I have no idea who that was? I provided the registration plate to my insurance, they'll try to deal with it but told me it can be very hard. This is the part the totally frustrates me: it was a EU registration plate! I find it absurd that it's so complicated to get the insurance details of another EU registered vehicle, it's insane that there is no regulation on this. Imagine after Brexit: if you're a non-UK driver with a non-UK registration plate, scratch and smash all the cars you want, you'll get away with it like it was nothing, EVEN IF YOUR REGISTRATION PLATE has been taken and witnesses have witnessed.

"As regards knocking on doors, why canít you make phone calls and use the internet?": I'm not sure companies give away details of clients or employees to random civilians calling on the phone or emailing. Or do they? I don't think so.

"I would expect the format of the number plate to reveal the country by doing some amateur research on the internet." Done: its Hungarian. Now what exactly? How does that help me?

I am sorry if I sound a bit angry, I know you are trying to help me, but you are telling me either things that are wrong or that I have already tried. Thanks for the tip about the legal cover. I'll look into it.
    Last edited by Afrapp88; 26-09-2019 at 8:56 AM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 26th Sep 19, 10:46 AM
    • 25,441 Posts
    • 13,644 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I'm sorry, but failure to stop and report an accident and provide your name and details is an offence under Section 170 Road Traffic Act 1988 in the UK
    Absolutely I totally agree.
    However the criminal actions of the other party are seperate from your losses which are absolutely NOT a police matter.
    If the driver was successfully convicted it might help with tracing the driver and the insurance but the police would NOT assist with getting your money back.

Have you complained formally to the police?
    What are the quotes for both the full repair and the mirror only?
    Does the full repair look like it might be a write-off?
    Last edited by lisyloo; 26-09-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,971Users online

Martin's Twitter