Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 17th Sep 19, 1:46 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Afrapp88
    Hit and run damaged my parked car: foreign lorry and total loss: PLEASE HELP ME
    • 17th Sep 19, 1:46 PM
    Hit and run damaged my parked car: foreign lorry and total loss: PLEASE HELP ME 17th Sep 19 at 1:46 PM
    Hi everyone,

I am utterly ignorant in this matter and I will get straight to the point: my car, a 9 year-old but perfectly well kept and working Vauxhall Corsa, bought one year ago for about £4,000, got hit by a lorry driver who smashed off my rear-view mirror and left some scratch and indentation on the driver door and on the panel above the front-right wheel. I have two witnesses and a picture of the registration plate, which seems non-UK but still EU. I have a comprehensive insurance with Admiral. On the phone, the agent told me it might be that, based on the description of the damages I gave her, the car will be deemed a total loss. I moved in the UK one year and a half ago, and I am utterly ignorant in this matter. Here are my questions, if you would be so nice to help me out understand where I stand:

1 - The agent told me it might take a lot of time to get hold of the third-party insurance because of the fact it's foreign. Is that really so?

2 - I have been told that if the car is deemed total loss, they will offer me a sum for it. I guess I will have to negotiate. What I don't understand is, the only critical repair is replacing the rear view mirror. I can keep the scratches and indents, I don't care. How can replacing a rear view mirror cost that much? Can't they just repair the mirror? I can't believe it would cost more than £1000.

3 - If they deem the car a total loss, what are my options? She mentioned something about the car being categorised. In this case, the damage is not structural as the chassis and structural parts are intact, it's just a repairable damage. What can I do?

Please, help me out. My girlfriend and I took a long time before we found this amazing car, and we cannot believe it can get destroyed for such a minor damage and we cannot afford another one so well kept (we had also just put new all-season tyres on which cost a bit).

Thank you so much for any help

Best,
    Andrew
Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 17th Sep 19, 2:26 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:26 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:26 PM
    Not much to say other than £4k on a nine year old Corsa?
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 17th Sep 19, 2:35 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:35 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:35 PM
    @ bigisi roughly £3,900 for a 2009 automatic Corsa with 49k miles very well maintained with no scratch and nice MOT history. Checked and the price was similar to its market value. Now it's value would be around £3000 according to AutoTrader. This is not the point of my question though.
    Last edited by Afrapp88; 19-09-2019 at 3:47 PM.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 17th Sep 19, 2:55 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:55 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 2:55 PM
    1 - Likely so, the only impact is that your insurance premium might jump if you are up fro renewal until Admiral can claim from the 3rd party insurer and finalise it as a "no fault" claim on your end.

2 - The insurer must reinstate the vehicle to the state it was prior to the accident, that means fixing all damage, not just the critical. They will assess the cost and if it's over 70%ish of the value will consider it a write off and pay out for a replacement vehicle, which will end up cheaper for them rather than handling/evaluating repairs etc. In that case they will keep the vehicle and sell it/dispose of it. You will be offered an option to payback part of of the insurance payout and keep it. Sounds like you want this option so enquire about it and see if the math is in your favour.

On the other hand get rid of it while you can. The automatic gear box on these is abysmal, prone to failure and expensive to fix.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 17th Sep 19, 3:23 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:23 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:23 PM
    Thank you @sal_III.

It's not clear to me what "You will be offered an option to payback part of of the insurance payout and keep it" means. Until I accept their write-off offer, the car will still be mine. Why would I need to pay them back? Theoretically speaking (independently of the fact whether it's worth it or not), can I just repair it myself and not claim anything from the insurance? I just cannot believe I have to dispose of an otherwise perfectly functioning car for some scratches. All this logic is just new to me.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 17th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    • 35,520 Posts
    • 19,424 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:33 PM
    Let's say you are offered £2,000 in full and final settlement, or £1,500 plus the return of the vehicle. That's what sal is alluding to...

The Category of the write-off applied by the insurer will determine what repairs you have to have done and the certification process for returning the vehicle to the road after that.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 17th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:37 PM
    @kingstreet so if I decline the write off, in your example they would offer me £1500 and retain the ownership of the vehicle? With that money, theoretically speaking, I could repair the bloody rear view mirror and keep the scratches that are merely cosmetic? I'm really terribly sorry if I don't understand right away, please have mercy this is all completely new to me.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 17th Sep 19, 3:43 PM
    • 35,520 Posts
    • 19,424 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:43 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:43 PM
    Yes. That's the principle.

The amounts are obviously just examples.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 17th Sep 19, 3:48 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:48 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 3:48 PM
    "The amounts are obviously just examples"

Of course, I got that at least I guess I will wait for them to contact me back. I'm pretty sure that if it's gonna be written off it'll be in category N or maybe S (it's not clear to me what "structural damage" means...I assume the rearview mirror is not a structural part of the car but still a damage that makes it unsafe to drive).
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 18th Sep 19, 4:21 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    @kingstreet whait, if the insurer buys my car for £2000 but I can buy it back as salvage retention and get £1500 instead, for instance, isn't it better for them as they'd have to pay me less money? Also, is salvage retention a universal right or only depends on the insurance? I can't find anything about salvage retention in my Admiral policy.

Yes. That's the principle.

The amounts are obviously just examples.
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 18th Sep 19, 4:28 PM
    • 25,439 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    lisyloo
    This all seem theorectical to me (the write-off).

Can you confirm that two panels are damaged plus one mirror?
    Any bumpers damaged?
    Is it metallic paint or matt?

Is the mirror heated, movable remotely by buttons or is it one you just move by hand?

Obviously we can only go on what youve said but it doesn't seem to me this would be a write-off.
    You could of course take it somewhere and get a quote within 20-30 mins.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 18th Sep 19, 4:50 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    This all seem theorectical to me (the write-off).

Can you confirm that two panels are damaged plus one mirror?
    Any bumpers damaged?
    Is it metallic paint or matt?

Is the mirror heated, movable remotely by buttons or is it one you just move by hand?

Obviously we can only go on what youve said but it doesn't seem to me this would be a write-off.
    You could of course take it somewhere and get a quote within 20-30 mins.
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    I know it's theoretical, but it's based on what the agent suggested me was the possible outcome.

Anyways: one electrical mirror (controlled from inside the car via buttons) torn off with a bunch of electrical cables exposed, then driver's door lightly scratched and slightly indented just beneath the window on the panel (metallic paint). Same goes for the panel above the front right wheel, next to the windscreen: 3 to 4 in long scratch between windscreen and driver's door. Sent pictures to my garage for an estimate of the price for the repairs, anxiously waiting for a reply. I don't care about the scratches or indentations, they're not that visible. I just need the wing mirror replaced.

I might have over exaggerated the the damages while describing them on the phone, though I cannot imaging how they can be repaired without replacing the driver's door and front right panels.

I don't know how to take the car anywhere as without wing mirror I have been told it's not legally drivable.
    Last edited by Afrapp88; 18-09-2019 at 4:56 PM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 18th Sep 19, 9:11 PM
    • 25,439 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I think you need to get the quote.
    To get entire panels painted properly can be £600-£800 each.

If it was me, I’d consider patching up the panels cheaply and paying for the mirror to be fixed and not claiming (but of course you have to declare th accident).

This is probably not the answer you want but with excess, loss of NCD and increased premiums it may simply not be worth claiming if you aren’t bothered about the dents/scratches.

You need the proper quote and a quote for patching it up as you want.
    Clearly you can’t drive it if it’s not safe.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 19th Sep 19, 7:35 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    I think you need to get the quote.
    To get entire panels painted properly can be £600-£800 each.

If it was me, Iíd consider patching up the panels cheaply and paying for the mirror to be fixed and not claiming (but of course you have to declare th accident).

This is probably not the answer you want but with excess, loss of NCD and increased premiums it may simply not be worth claiming if you arenít bothered about the dents/scratches.

You need the proper quote and a quote for patching it up as you want.
    Clearly you canít drive it if itís not safe.
    You think it's possible for me to withdraw the claim if it comes to that? Is it something people can do?

In hindsight, yes, I should have probably dealt with it without claiming. In my inexperience and naivety, I thought my insurance, which I PAY, is there to help me, not complicate my life. Again in my inexperience, it never occurred to me I would have risked totalling my beloved car for a few scratches. I am to blame, I should have done my homework.
    Last edited by Afrapp88; 19-09-2019 at 8:07 AM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Sep 19, 9:47 AM
    • 25,439 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Yes you can withdraw a claim.
    You will definitely have to declare the accident in future For however long they ask (3-5 years?) but itís not a claim.
    You would have needed to have done this anyway but now itís recorded with your insurer.
    Donít even think about not declaring it because youíll be then marked as a liar and find it very difficult and expensive to get insurance (Iím not suggesting you would just wanted to make the point).

I donít think you should beat yourself up.
    You havenít thought anything unreasonable and you still need to have The quotes before deciding what to do. Itís possible itís not enough to write off the car and youíll make a different decision.
    You havenít lost anything if you withdraw the claim (only the option to pretend it didnít happen which is fraud anyway).

Everyone is surprised at the costs, but getting paintwork done properly means matching the paint in a bespoke way (the rest of your paintwork will be faded so it wonít be a stock colour), sanding down and painting the entire panel which means use of a large dedicated oven as it canít be mixed up with anyone elseís paintwork.

Insurers do whatís easiest for them not whatís fairest for customers.
    They would argue that overall they are keeping costs down but itís quite unsatisfactory sometimes.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 19th Sep 19, 9:58 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    Yes you can withdraw a claim.
    You will definitely have to declare the accident in future For however long they ask (3-5 years?) but itís not a claim.
    You would have needed to have done this anyway but now itís recorded with your insurer.
    Donít even think about not declaring it because youíll be then marked as a liar and find it very difficult and expensive to get insurance (Iím not suggesting you would just wanted to make the point).

I donít think you should beat yourself up.
    You havenít thought anything unreasonable and you still need to have The quotes before deciding what to do. Itís possible itís not enough to write off the car and youíll make a different decision.
    You havenít lost anything if you withdraw the claim (only the option to pretend it didnít happen which is fraud anyway).

Everyone is surprised at the costs, but getting paintwork done properly means matching the paint in a bespoke way (the rest of your paintwork will be faded so it wonít be a stock colour), sanding down and painting the entire panel which means use of a large dedicated oven as it canít be mixed up with anyone elseís paintwork.

Insurers do whatís easiest for them not whatís fairest for customers.
    They would argue that overall they are keeping costs down but itís quite unsatisfactory sometimes.
    Thanks lisyloo. I have no intention of lying or not declaring the incident, even if I decide to withdraw the claim.

Other question: if they say that repairing the whole thing is too expensive, can't I change my ind and ask them to repair JUST the wing mirror? That's the only thing I need. The rest are minor cosmetic damages not even that visible. The indents are really small. Do I have this power or now that I have filed the claim for all those damages, I don't have any possibility of changing their quote? I know this is something I will have to discuss with the insurance in due time, it's just to get prepared and get my head around this issue.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 19th Sep 19, 11:53 AM
    • 25,439 Posts
    • 13,645 Thanks
    lisyloo
    You can ask, but I’m pretty sure you can’t insist how your insurer handles your claim.

I don’t think you'll have much luck, as Sal says in post #4 they will want to reinstate the car to its former state.

If you wanted just the wing mirror repaired it would still probably be cheaper to pay for it yourself considering the excess and that you’ll be loaded for the accident for 2-3 years (depending on whether your NCD is protected). It may take many years to reclaim from a foreign company and for just a mirror your insurer may well decide not to peruse a foreign driver where the costs of pursuing may exceed the claim cost.

So in short, no you cannot tell them how to run their business.
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 19th Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    @kingstreet whait, if the insurer buys my car for £2000 but I can buy it back as salvage retention and get £1500 instead, for instance, isn't it better for them as they'd have to pay me less money? Also, is salvage retention a universal right or only depends on the insurance? I can't find anything about salvage retention in my Admiral policy.
    Originally posted by Afrapp88
    No because they are likely to have the Salvage value underwritten by a Salvage Yard agreement who take all cars for 25% or whatever
    The Salvage yard will not be keen on some of the lesser damaged write offs being sold privately for obvious reasons
    You are not likely to have a choice The car is not yours once you are paid out.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 19th Sep 19, 12:42 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    You can ask, but Iím pretty sure you canít insist how your insurer handles your claim.

I donít think you'll have much luck, as Sal says in post #4 they will want to reinstate the car to its former state.

If you wanted just the wing mirror repaired it would still probably be cheaper to pay for it yourself considering the excess and that youíll be loaded for the accident for 2-3 years (depending on whether your NCD is protected). It may take many years to reclaim from a foreign company and for just a mirror your insurer may well decide not to peruse a foreign driver where the costs of pursuing may exceed the claim cost.

So in short, no you cannot tell them how to run their business.
    Never expected I can TELL the insurance company to do something, I was asking what are the odds ASKING them might work.
    • Afrapp88
    • By Afrapp88 19th Sep 19, 12:44 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Afrapp88
    No because they are likely to have the Salvage value underwritten by a Salvage Yard agreement who take all cars for 25% or whatever
    The Salvage yard will not be keen on some of the lesser damaged write offs being sold privately for obvious reasons
    You are not likely to have a choice The car is not yours once you are paid out.
    Originally posted by Jumblebumble
    Well it's easy then, I will never accept the write off and never accept the payout and keep my bloody car. Only frustrated I have to go through all this when it's not even my fault and I have witnesses and photographs Sort of like twice the victim. Or even thrice, considering my premium can potentially even go up! And the lorry driver, who can still potentially be driving on UK soil, gets away with it like it was nothing. He can potentially be the one who will scratch your cars too and there is no way of preventing it (like blocking him from driving in the UK) unless I try legal action, for which I have no time nor will nor money.
    Last edited by Afrapp88; 19-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,159Users online

Martin's Twitter