Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 17th Sep 19, 11:22 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 14Thanks
    GangBusters
    I feel like I have no option but to lie about my work experience. Please help!
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:22 AM
    I feel like I have no option but to lie about my work experience. Please help! 17th Sep 19 at 11:22 AM
    I worked in Tesco for 6 months then the Army for 1 year but since leaving the Army due to mental health after a family tragedy sent me into depression, I've been unemployed for the last 10 years so that's literally all the work experience I have, oh and I'm 30 years old.

I've been to two job interviews, one for Morrisons and another for Tesco and I wasn't successful in either of them. I'm absolutely certain it's because A) I've been unemployed for 10 years and B) because I've had a long term mental health condition which is instantly a red flag to 99% of employers.

I'm really trying to turn my life around, I'm a nice person, I'm super hard working and just want a chance... It took so much courage for me to apply for those two jobs as they were social based (customer service) but now I'm thinking to try a different area, perhaps warehouse?

I was thinking to get myself a forklift licence but they're not cheap... The problem isn't the money, the problem is even if I get it and start applying for jobs, my 10 years unemployment gap will negate the active steps I'm taking to get back to work.

I can't even really lie on my CV because employers are always checking references these days... I feel like I really have no option but to just gamble with lies. The way I see it is I can be honest (such a meme) and not get employed, or I can lie and have a chance at getting employed...
    Last edited by GangBusters; 17-09-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Page 3
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 17th Sep 19, 7:29 PM
    • 19,651 Posts
    • 20,477 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    No one has pointed it out, but (keeping on) applying for jobs/ doing some agency work/ becoming a volunteer aren't mutually exclusive activities. You could do all 3 and come out with an extra-shiny CV. The thing that sprang to mind for me was the Men in Sheds project. When I googled it I found that it is sometimes targeted at older men, but don't let this put you off - the vision of the project is to bring men of all generations together to share skills and (old-fashioned word but it's what comes to mind) comradeship. And all the stuff about new friends, networking, building confidence and challenging MH issues.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 17th Sep 19, 8:39 PM
    • 40,089 Posts
    • 37,452 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    It is also worth pointing out that volunteering can lead to paid work. For example, many charity shops employ some staff, and while volunteering is no guarantee that you'll get the job, in some cases it's a definite advantage.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • username901
    • By username901 19th Sep 19, 6:33 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    username901
    For agency work make some crap up, you've been travelling, caring for a relative, took up being an artist at home, travelled playing chess semi professionally etc. Then once you've got a few jobs under your belt, you can cut down on the crap.
    • amandacat
    • By amandacat 21st Sep 19, 12:49 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    amandacat
    From an employers prospective a 10 year gap is the red flag because it shows you could leave them quickly because you’ve either not needed to work or not wanted to work. Personally if I was interviewing someone the mental health condition would not influence my decision it’d be the risk that the person has been able to manage for all that time financially with no job so I’d worry they’d leave us quickly so that would be the risk for me.

While lying isn’t necessarily the right thing to do, being inventive with the truth may be your only option eg. Perhaps you didn’t work for 10 years because you were a full time carer for a relative...

I back the volunteering advice given, this will give you experience and will show commitment, as well as a work reference.
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 21st Sep 19, 1:56 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GangBusters
    From an employers prospective a 10 year gap is the red flag because it shows you could leave them quickly because you’ve either not needed to work or not wanted to work. Personally if I was interviewing someone the mental health condition would not influence my decision it’d be the risk that the person has been able to manage for all that time financially with no job so I’d worry they’d leave us quickly so that would be the risk for me.

While lying isn’t necessarily the right thing to do, being inventive with the truth may be your only option eg. Perhaps you didn’t work for 10 years because you were a full time carer for a relative...

I back the volunteering advice given, this will give you experience and will show commitment, as well as a work reference.
    Originally posted by amandacat
    Appreciate the advice but I actually have a job now! Full time temp position in a warehouse loading and unloading lorries. 12 weeks to start and if I do well they might keep me on for another 12 weeks
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 21st Sep 19, 2:45 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 4,656 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Excellent news!!! Well done!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • Huggy_Bear
    • By Huggy_Bear 22nd Sep 19, 4:00 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Huggy_Bear
    I highly recommend getting into volunteering - to an employer this looks really good and shows you are willing to give up free time for nothing and go the extra mile! worked wonders in my case when looking for a job.
    Originally posted by DaveBullock_

I'm another one to advocate volunteering, you'll be surprised how much you can use this experience within applications and the people you volunteer with will be able to give you a reference after a period of time.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 22nd Sep 19, 4:28 PM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    That's very good news OP. Was that via an agency?
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 22nd Sep 19, 4:47 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GangBusters
    That's very good news OP. Was that via an agency?
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    Yeah, I applied to 4 different warehouse positions with 4 different agencies and one of them decided to give me a shot.
    • username901
    • By username901 22nd Sep 19, 7:59 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    username901
    Good for you, well done.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 22nd Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    • 6,219 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Appreciate the advice but I actually have a job now! Full time temp position in a warehouse loading and unloading lorries. 12 weeks to start and if I do well they might keep me on for another 12 weeks
    Originally posted by GangBusters
    That's great, glad it's working out for you. I wish you the best of luck in your new role.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 23rd Sep 19, 7:19 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    Originally posted by GangBusters
    It's surprising how long these agencies roles can last - it's not unknown to be offered the job on a permanent basis as time goes on.
    • bugslett
    • By bugslett 23rd Sep 19, 10:34 AM
    • 355 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    bugslett
    It's surprising how long these agencies roles can last - it's not unknown to be offered the job on a permanent basis as time goes on.
    Agree. I think it's often a bit of a trial scenario. Just turn up on time, look clean, be polite and get on with your work and you'll find your contract extended for as long as you need.

Bugslett aka albion
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
    • sazaccount
    • By sazaccount 23rd Sep 19, 4:29 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    sazaccount
    Congratulations!

Just a note even if you HATE the job, I recommend at least stick with it for the 12 weeks and just decline any offer to extend so then you can put on new applications that it was "end of (temporary/agency) contract" for reason you left.
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 23rd Sep 19, 7:58 PM
    • 6,219 Posts
    • 10,711 Thanks
    Gavin83
    That's true. At my current place I started on a 3 week temporary contract. 12 years later I'm still there, admittedly in a different department and a better role.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

634Posts Today

6,041Users online

Martin's Twitter