Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 17th Sep 19, 11:22 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 14Thanks
    GangBusters
    I feel like I have no option but to lie about my work experience. Please help!
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:22 AM
    I feel like I have no option but to lie about my work experience. Please help! 17th Sep 19 at 11:22 AM
    I worked in Tesco for 6 months then the Army for 1 year but since leaving the Army due to mental health after a family tragedy sent me into depression, I've been unemployed for the last 10 years so that's literally all the work experience I have, oh and I'm 30 years old.

I've been to two job interviews, one for Morrisons and another for Tesco and I wasn't successful in either of them. I'm absolutely certain it's because A) I've been unemployed for 10 years and B) because I've had a long term mental health condition which is instantly a red flag to 99% of employers.

I'm really trying to turn my life around, I'm a nice person, I'm super hard working and just want a chance... It took so much courage for me to apply for those two jobs as they were social based (customer service) but now I'm thinking to try a different area, perhaps warehouse?

I was thinking to get myself a forklift licence but they're not cheap... The problem isn't the money, the problem is even if I get it and start applying for jobs, my 10 years unemployment gap will negate the active steps I'm taking to get back to work.

I can't even really lie on my CV because employers are always checking references these days... I feel like I really have no option but to just gamble with lies. The way I see it is I can be honest (such a meme) and not get employed, or I can lie and have a chance at getting employed...
    Last edited by GangBusters; 17-09-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 17th Sep 19, 11:25 AM
    • 7,136 Posts
    • 5,623 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:25 AM
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:25 AM
    What have you actually being doing for 10 years?
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 17th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GangBusters
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    What have you actually being doing for 10 years?
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Depression...

Sitting on my !!! feeling sorry for myself moaning that the world isn't fair... However after finally accepting that something has to change for me to get out of this cycle, I've decided that a job is that thing.

I'm so ready to get back to work, I'm genuinely tired and bored of being unemployed.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 17th Sep 19, 11:36 AM
    • 542 Posts
    • 941 Thanks
    couriervanman
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:36 AM
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:36 AM
    You could always say you were self employed
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th Sep 19, 11:42 AM
    • 10,107 Posts
    • 12,723 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:42 AM
    • 17th Sep 19, 11:42 AM
    Voluntary work can give you current work experience and a work-related reference. It doesn't have to be anything like the work you end up doing but it will help demonstrate the 'soft skills' employers like, like time-keeping and getting on with people.

Jobcentre or local council may be able to point you towards local employability schemes that help people return to work (and in some cases they will pay for qualifications like fork lift). They might also arrange work trials/experience with employers and give you mock interview training etc.

If you're on benefits your local further education college may offer a fee waiver on short or non-certificated courses, which can help brush up your skills and also demonstrate you can work and achieve something.

It won't happen overnight, but keep working at it and you could be in a much more optimistic situation in several months' time.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 17th Sep 19, 12:29 PM
    • 6,094 Posts
    • 7,030 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:29 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:29 PM
    I worked in Tesco for 6 months then the Army for 1 year but since leaving the Army due to mental health after a family tragedy sent me into depression, I've been unemployed for the last 10 years so that's literally all the work experience I have, oh and I'm 30 years old.

I've been to two job interviews, one for Morrisons and another for Tesco and I wasn't successful in either of them. I'm absolutely certain it's because A) I've been unemployed for 10 years and B) because I've had a long term mental health condition which is instantly a red flag to 99% of employers.

I'm really trying to turn my life around, I'm a nice person, I'm super hard working and just want a chance... It took so much courage for me to apply for those two jobs as they were social based (customer service) but now I'm thinking to try a different area, perhaps warehouse?

I was thinking to get myself a forklift licence but they're not cheap... The problem isn't the money, the problem is even if I get it and start applying for jobs, my 10 years unemployment gap will negate the active steps I'm taking to get back to work.

I can't even really lie on my CV because employers are always checking references these days... I feel like I really have no option but to just gamble with lies. The way I see it is I can be honest (such a meme) and not get employed, or I can lie and have a chance at getting employed...
    Originally posted by GangBusters
    Its been two weeks since your first post and I suggested agency work to start with....how many have you contacted?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • lindens
    • By lindens 17th Sep 19, 12:46 PM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 7,255 Thanks
    lindens
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:46 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:46 PM
    Absolutely get into volunteering. Have you any repair skills and can volunteer at a repair cafe? if you wish to work in retail then volunteer at a charity shop.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 17th Sep 19, 12:50 PM
    • 6,230 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:50 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:50 PM
    I agree with Owain Moneysaver. You've been out of work for 10 years due to depression and any employer will rightly be concerned you won't be able to cope with the working environment. I'd recommend getting some volunteering under your belt. That'll at least prove you can cope with the pressures of a workplace and would make you vastly more employable.
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 17th Sep 19, 12:52 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 405 Thanks
    fewgroats
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:52 PM
    • 17th Sep 19, 12:52 PM
    And they say the days of the army wanting "cannon fodder" are over. Absolutely no after care given, it seems.
    Last edited by fewgroats; 20-09-2019 at 7:01 AM.
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 17th Sep 19, 12:55 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GangBusters
    Its been two weeks since your first post and I suggested agency work to start with....how many have you contacted?
    Originally posted by Takeaway_Addict
    None, but agency work will probably be my next step. However won't I still face the same hurdle of "Oh no, not another depressed unreliable no work history for a decade" employee?

When you apply through agencies, is it the agency that hires you FOR the company or does the agency just pair a company with a potential employee and then the company hires you?
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 17th Sep 19, 12:58 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GangBusters
    I agree with Owain Moneysaver. You've been out of work for 10 years due to depression and any employer will rightly be concerned you won't be able to cope with the working environment. I'd recommend getting some volunteering under your belt. That'll at least prove you can cope with the pressures of a workplace and would make you vastly more employable.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    I'm inclined to agree, it's a shame that someone who doesn't even have a paid job is effectively being forced to work for free just to prove themselves but I guess that's the world we live in.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 17th Sep 19, 12:58 PM
    • 6,230 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    Gavin83
    When you apply through agencies, is it the agency that hires you FOR the company or does the agency just pair a company with a potential employee and then the company hires you?
    Generally speaking if you're working a short term contract the company will approach the agency, they'll send you along, the company then pays the agency and the agency pays you, minus the fee.

Regardless of the setup they'll still want an employee they can rely on though, a flaky employee reflects badly on them and could lose them contracts in the future.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 17th Sep 19, 1:06 PM
    • 6,230 Posts
    • 10,739 Thanks
    Gavin83
    I'm inclined to agree, it's a shame that someone who doesn't even have a paid job is effectively being forced to work for free just to prove themselves but I guess that's the world we live in.
    Unfortunately we're currently in the situation where employers can generally afford to be choosy and they'll be people available who are more employable than you. Your work history does put you in a difficult situation but you do seem to accept that.

Another alternative is to speak to a company and ask if they'll take you on for an unpaid trial period before considering you for a job, assuming they're even allowed to do that. However it'll still be unpaid and at least with a charity you get the feelgood factor of helping out others.

Or try speaking to a charity that deals with depression and mental health issues. They may have links to companies who are a little more understanding.
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 17th Sep 19, 1:08 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GangBusters
    Generally speaking if you're working a short term contract the company will approach the agency, they'll send you along, the company then pays the agency and the agency pays you, minus the fee.

Regardless of the setup they'll still want an employee they can rely on though, a flaky employee reflects badly on them and could lose them contracts in the future.
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    I'm not a flaky person anymore though. Sure I'm not completely over my depression but I've had it under control for the last 9 months and I've never been more ready for work.

So when I have a job interview for an agency job, it'll be the agency that interviews me / looks at my CV?
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 17th Sep 19, 1:15 PM
    • 3,816 Posts
    • 2,000 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Sometimes and with the right employer you don't need to contemplate even lying or making stuff up.

Yesterday I attended an interview with a company that just didn't ask about employment history. It never came up on either the telephone or face to face interview. I actually wasted my time looking over the CV and practising answers as instead you are asked a couple of questions, maths test, role play, another test and then ask if you are prepared to cover other branches. Even if I make the reserve list and they don't get my pressie of a cold, not bad for someone in the position of three months ago accepting a zero-hours job ahead of a busy summer.
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • DaveBullock_
    • By DaveBullock_ 17th Sep 19, 1:18 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    DaveBullock_
    I highly recommend getting into volunteering - to an employer this looks really good and shows you are willing to give up free time for nothing and go the extra mile! worked wonders in my case when looking for a job.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 17th Sep 19, 1:43 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 7,479 Thanks
    bouicca21
    If it is retail work like Tesco or Morrisons, then why not volunteer at a charity shop? They are used to dealing with people with no or poor work history. It will get you out, plus provide evidence of time keeping, customer service skills and get you a reference.
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 17th Sep 19, 1:45 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    Exodi
    I've been unemployed for the last 10 years
    I'm super hard working
    You must appreciate how this comes across to an employer.

I'm also in the camp of short term agency. I did some (albeit about a decade ago now) and I was interviewed by the agency (almost as a formality) and was put into employment the very next day. The contract ended up lasting about a year! Then once you can get some recent work history under your belt, start to go into your chosen field.
    Know what you don't
    • GangBusters
    • By GangBusters 17th Sep 19, 1:49 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    GangBusters
    You must appreciate how this comes across to an employer.

I'm also in the camp of short term agency. I did some (albeit about a decade ago now) and I was interviewed by the agency (almost as a formality) and was put into employment the very next day. The contract ended up lasting about a year! Then once you can get some recent work history under your belt, start to go into your chosen field.
    Originally posted by Exodi
    OK agency work it is then! I'm not particularly picky. Would an agency even bother to check references and your CV if you're applying for basic £9 an hour labour type jobs?
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 17th Sep 19, 1:56 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    Exodi
    OK agency work it is then! I'm not particularly picky. Would an agency even bother to check references and your CV if you're applying for basic £9 an hour labour type jobs?
    It's all about reputation for them. They'll have a company say "get us 10 labourers for 3 months work" and then the agency will go through the people they have and choose the ones they feel will do the best. They wouldn't send people they feel may not turn up so I'm going to pretend you're going to be the first person they consider but you can definitely work with them to give you a chance.

I'd highly doubt they'd check references if it's obvious from your CV you haven't worked there for 10 years. They would obviously look through your CV though.
    Know what you don't
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

2,090Users online

Martin's Twitter