Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • branston12
    • By branston12 16th Sep 19, 11:23 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    branston12
    Civil service recruitment complaint
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:23 AM
    Civil service recruitment complaint 16th Sep 19 at 11:23 AM
    Hello

I have recently received a formal offer with the civil service for an AO position after spending 7 months in the recruitment process since interview. I recently passed the pre-employment checks and received a formal offer.

In the job advert, description and in all recent communication including email headers the job was advertised in my city but now since receiving the formal offer it has been changed to another city which is an hour away. After bringing this up with them they mention that the recruitment campaign was for the two cities and they have filled up all the vacancies in my chosen city. They can only put me in the reserve list for my chosen city and that 'they are unable to say how long this position may become available'.

I cannot see how they can get away with something like this and feel pretty hard done by. It explicitly mentioned in the advert that the job was in my location. After waiting this long for them to pull the rug under my feet in this way I was wondering if I had suitable grounds for a complaint.

Will they look kindly upon this? Should I accept the offer and then make a complaint or do I start now and see what happens. Is this a futile exercise?

Thank you
    Last edited by branston12; 16-09-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Page 2
    • Jsacker
    • By Jsacker 20th Sep 19, 9:18 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Jsacker
    I'm in the civil service and this seems a bit iffy, but not entirely unexpected with regard to AO positions.

I suspect that it would depend on what precisely the job advert said. Most ads that I've seen list a number of places where you *could* work from. When I initially applied, I could work from a variety of locations and they were transparent about that from the off.

If they've advertised the job EXCLUSIVELY for one location and reneged on that then it does sound like they could have misled you here.... Might be worth reporting it to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and maybe even the main Union, PCS, to see if they fancy offering some advice (they aren't obliged to).

Unfortunately, I don't think any of the above will benefit you in respect of securing a post in the town that you want to work in. I would only advise that, once you are in, there *may* be scope to move in the future. Also, that you may be moving to a larger town/city soon anyway depending on where you are and whether you have a "regional centre" opening up nearby
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 20th Sep 19, 10:33 PM
    • 1,266 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Marcon
    If they've advertised the job EXCLUSIVELY for one location and reneged on that then it does sound like they could have misled you here.... Might be worth reporting it to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) and maybe even the main Union, PCS, to see if they fancy offering some advice (they aren't obliged to).
    Originally posted by Jsacker

Doesn't sound like it. More as if OP didn't make the cut for the location advertised, but they have another location and are offering the chance to work there if OP wishes. That's not grounds for complaining about anything.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 21st Sep 19, 9:35 AM
    • 1,631 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Dox
    I stand by the comments I made (EDIT: as someone on a grade higher than AO)
    Originally posted by Jsacker
    I think you've missed the point. There is nothing wrong with an applicant being turned down for the post advertised (which is what seems to have happened here), but the potential employer then indicating another post might be available.
    • Jsacker
    • By Jsacker 21st Sep 19, 9:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Jsacker
    I think you've missed the point. There is nothing wrong with an applicant being turned down for the post advertised (which is what seems to have happened here), but the potential employer then indicating another post might be available.
    Originally posted by Dox
    Indeed, there is nothing wrong with that. But I think you've missed my point.

My point is that it could be misleading to advertise a job and only ever mention ONE LOCATION to the applicant and, only after a very long and drawn-out recruitment process (I could forgive them if it were quicker!), magic up the second location.

To quote ASA:

While the Code doesn’t list specific details like salary, working hours or where the job is based as information that needs to be stated in job ads - if the omission of any of this information is likely to mislead potential applicants, then it needs to be included.
    by asa.org.uk/news/making-sure-your-employment-ads-are-a-job-well-done.html
    Sounds like OP could have been misled here (they wouldn't have posted otherwise) They could be wrong, mind you, and the job advert may have specified multiple possible locations. But, if not, then why not report it to the ASA?

I'd get onto the question as to why this applicant, who has passed the relevant checks, is being put on the back burner with the CS to begin with here but that's a question for another day.
    Last edited by Jsacker; 21-09-2019 at 9:10 PM.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 21st Sep 19, 10:03 PM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 4,493 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I’m unsure what the complaint is here.

Is it better to apply for a job and be rejected or offered an alternative position an hour away?

I’m unsure on the OP’s personal circumstances but they’ve been offered a good job with the civil service an hour from their home. That doesn’t seem excessive and will be a good opportunity.

Launching a complaint against your employer for offering you a job seems very similar to shooting yourself in your head!
    • Jsacker
    • By Jsacker 21st Sep 19, 10:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Jsacker
    Launching a complaint against your employer for offering you a job seems very similar to shooting yourself in your head!
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    Aye, that's true to be fair.

But that's OP's prerogative to put in a complaint if they so wish.

I suspect that they probably wouldn't make a complaint in an instance where they accept the new location, for fear of "rocking the boat". So this post could be a grumble, or it could be someone who actually isn't taking the job any more.

Who knows, though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,219Posts Today

6,823Users online

Martin's Twitter