Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • branston12
    • By branston12 16th Sep 19, 11:23 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    branston12
    Civil service recruitment complaint
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:23 AM
    Civil service recruitment complaint 16th Sep 19 at 11:23 AM
    Hello

I have recently received a formal offer with the civil service for an AO position after spending 7 months in the recruitment process since interview. I recently passed the pre-employment checks and received a formal offer.

In the job advert, description and in all recent communication including email headers the job was advertised in my city but now since receiving the formal offer it has been changed to another city which is an hour away. After bringing this up with them they mention that the recruitment campaign was for the two cities and they have filled up all the vacancies in my chosen city. They can only put me in the reserve list for my chosen city and that 'they are unable to say how long this position may become available'.

I cannot see how they can get away with something like this and feel pretty hard done by. It explicitly mentioned in the advert that the job was in my location. After waiting this long for them to pull the rug under my feet in this way I was wondering if I had suitable grounds for a complaint.

Will they look kindly upon this? Should I accept the offer and then make a complaint or do I start now and see what happens. Is this a futile exercise?

Thank you
    Last edited by branston12; 16-09-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 16th Sep 19, 11:40 AM
    • 731 Posts
    • 1,359 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:40 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:40 AM
    What do you hope to achieve by making a complaint? They're not going to magic up a job in your city if they don't need anyone else. A complaint my just see you being overlooked in future if you mark yourself as a trouble causer.
    • Exodi
    • By Exodi 16th Sep 19, 11:47 AM
    • 850 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Exodi
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:47 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:47 AM
    I think bigisi says it best, they're not going to sack the guy they've just employed to employ you.

It's also pretty brave to make a complaint against an employer before you've even started.

An hour commute isn't the end of the world (granted this depends on the salary) and you could use this as a point of negotation at your next salary review.
    Know what you don't
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 16th Sep 19, 11:49 AM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:49 AM
    • 16th Sep 19, 11:49 AM
    Is an hour journey really a no no for you? Could you take the job and ask for the first transfer to your chosen city?
    To complain so early in your civil service career will mean it's a very short lived career.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 16th Sep 19, 12:40 PM
    • 1,049 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 16th Sep 19, 12:40 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 12:40 PM
    People travel a lot more than an hour for jobs they really want or love. You only have two real options, accept the role or refuse and ask to be added to the reserve list for the other location, but of course they wont be able to give you a timescale, they are not physic.

I don't think a complaint will get you anywhere apart from maybe an acknowledgement of what you say, it wont however change anything.

Only you can decide what to do next.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 16th Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    • 7,134 Posts
    • 5,622 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:30 PM
    Don't put yourself on their radar for being hard work.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • branston12
    • By branston12 16th Sep 19, 1:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    branston12
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:43 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:43 PM
    I would like to thank you all for your advice.

I think you are all right and my only option now is to accept the offer and try and get a transfer. My concern is that an AO salary isn't great and commuting would eat a large chunk of that leaving me a lot better off working minimum wage somewhere else whilst not losing 2 hours of my day.

But what hits hard is that I have waited so long to get to this stage and it feels very unfair for them to do this now but that's life I guess.
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 16th Sep 19, 1:47 PM
    • 5,290 Posts
    • 5,149 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:47 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 1:47 PM
    Why do you feel hard done by? You obviously didn't impress enough to get an offer for your chosen location but they offered you somewhere else.

Nobody owes you anything here.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 16th Sep 19, 2:26 PM
    • 3,576 Posts
    • 20,325 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 16th Sep 19, 2:26 PM
    • 16th Sep 19, 2:26 PM
    My concern is that an AO salary isn't great and commuting would eat a large chunk of that leaving me a lot better off working minimum wage somewhere else whilst not losing 2 hours of my day.
    Originally posted by branston12

And is the progression in a 'minimum wage' role comparable to the job you have been offered?

Sometimes you need to look beyond the here and now and as said, an hour commute is not really excessive if you want and enjoy the work. Especially if this is the first rung for a career you want.

• shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 16th Sep 19, 3:14 PM
    • 2,513 Posts
    • 3,975 Thanks
    shortcrust
    If you really can’t work in the other city then turn them down, express polite disappointment and ask if there is any way you could be kept on a reserve list or be considered if anything else comes up. In the places I used to work AO grade staff often didn’t hang around for long. Things may change pretty quickly in some departments in the coming months and extra staff might well be needed ASAP.

I know it’s not great, but at least there’s the chance of something positive coming from it. I can’t honestly see any positives to you from complaining. You might get an apology for the ‘confusion’ but I bet you’d rule out getting a job from them in the future.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 16th Sep 19, 4:29 PM
    • 2,310 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    Brynsam
    But what hits hard is that I have waited so long to get to this stage and it feels very unfair for them to do this now but that's life I guess.
    It's miserable to have waited so long only to have the goalposts moved at the 11th hour - but try if you can not to let that colour your views of what might be an excellent career move (certainly an excellent pension!). There's a pretty high turnover in the Civil Service, with plenty of opportunities for moving/secondments, so taking the job with good grace and seeing how things go might be your best bet.
    • gwynlas
    • By gwynlas 16th Sep 19, 4:39 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    gwynlas
    Civil service recruitment complaint
    Do not accept the job anticipating a transfer as it is unlikely to be that simple. You could ask to be a reserve for your own city or acceot the post including need to commute.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 17th Sep 19, 1:28 AM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 20,864 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I would like to thank you all for your advice.

I think you are all right and my only option now is to accept the offer and try and get a transfer. My concern is that an AO salary isn't great and commuting would eat a large chunk of that leaving me a lot better off working minimum wage somewhere else whilst not losing 2 hours of my day.

Iím a part time AO and the place where I work is a 4 hour round trip by public transport!
    Open University Graduate 2017; MA at DMU complete 2018- MERIT!! Round 2 OU 2018- BSc Combined STEM (Sports Psychology) Year 1 Complete! E117 (Passed) and DE100. Year 2- K220 and E235.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Civil Partnership 15/02/20
    Strictly 2019- TEAM RAMSEY!
    Elle
    • gettingready
    • By gettingready 18th Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    • 11,005 Posts
    • 16,367 Thanks
    gettingready
    Keep in mind that people on benefits are expected to accept a job offer within up to 90 minutes commute from home so 1 hour is not so bad.

Still - commuting to work 1 hour in London is pretty much normal and let's say affordable.

Commuting one hour somewhere where transport is not that frequent and possibly very expensive may not be so easy.

Do not count on the possible transfer as 1 hour commute will never be "good enough reason" for a transfer I am afraid.

Yes, I work in Civil Service... my commute (London) is 45 minutes door to door but some people in my office commute 2 hours (or more) each way as they come in from outside London.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 18th Sep 19, 8:39 PM
    • 3,813 Posts
    • 1,999 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    I can't even get a job on the London outskirts from here. (not that I'm deeply passionate about it anymore)

Least they still want you, sold the dream of branch covering at an interview to include my home town on a permanent role, (all unexpectedly as I sat in the interview room) now low and behold just see the job re-advertised as fixed term.
    Not leaving my 'childhood' Home without a fight
    • aussie in wales
    • By aussie in wales 18th Sep 19, 8:58 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    aussie in wales
    Hello

I have recently received a formal offer with the civil service for an AO position after spending 7 months in the recruitment process since interview. I recently passed the pre-employment checks and received a formal offer.

In the job advert, description and in all recent communication including email headers the job was advertised in my city but now since receiving the formal offer it has been changed to another city which is an hour away. After bringing this up with them they mention that the recruitment campaign was for the two cities and they have filled up all the vacancies in my chosen city. They can only put me in the reserve list for my chosen city and that 'they are unable to say how long this position may become available'.

I cannot see how they can get away with something like this and feel pretty hard done by. It explicitly mentioned in the advert that the job was in my location. After waiting this long for them to pull the rug under my feet in this way I was wondering if I had suitable grounds for a complaint.

Will they look kindly upon this? Should I accept the offer and then make a complaint or do I start now and see what happens. Is this a futile exercise?

Thank you
    Unfortunately this normally means that you were one of the lower scoring candidates. You scored high enough to pass the interview but those who scored more highly received their first choice loaction.

You're not going to achieve much if anything by complaining.
    • MacMickster
    • By MacMickster 19th Sep 19, 8:04 AM
    • 3,174 Posts
    • 10,555 Thanks
    MacMickster
    This may depend upon which civil service department the job is with.

An acquaintance recently took early retirement from HMRC as they are going through a major process of change with most offices around the country closing and all remaining staff being concentrated in a small number of very large sites. I don't know if other departments are doing similar.

It is worth doing some research about the likely future for both the office in your home town where you are hoping to eventually transfer to, and also the office where you have been given a job. There is little point in accepting a long commute for low pay, hoping to build a career, if all offices within a couple of hours commute are scheduled to close within 2 or 3 years.
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson
    • antonic
    • By antonic 20th Sep 19, 2:41 AM
    • 1,834 Posts
    • 2,665 Thanks
    antonic
    This may depend upon which civil service department the job is with.

An acquaintance recently took early retirement from HMRC as they are going through a major process of change with most offices around the country closing and all remaining staff being concentrated in a small number of very large sites. I don't know if other departments are doing similar.

It is worth doing some research about the likely future for both the office in your home town where you are hoping to eventually transfer to, and also the office where you have been given a job. There is little point in accepting a long commute for low pay, hoping to build a career, if all offices within a couple of hours commute are scheduled to close within 2 or 3 years.
    Originally posted by MacMickster
    I will have a guess that its the same department I work in !
    To the OP , if taking the job gives you more money (after expenses) that you are getting now , take the job and once you have completed your probation you can start looking around for other jobs.
    As I was once told "its always easier to change jobs once you have one".
    As for commuting, I commute an hour each way by foot/train and it isnt a problem for me .
    Good luck !
    LBM Sept 2005 spoke to Payplan - brilliant !
    Dec 2005 debt £21.959.64 + HBOS Int £1769.32
    June 2013 debt £0.00
    DF status confirmed by email 10/07/13
    DFW Long Hauler 297
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 20th Sep 19, 4:41 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 4,040 Thanks
    Kim kim
    Unfortunately this normally means that you were one of the lower scoring candidates. You scored high enough to pass the interview but those who scored more highly received their first choice loaction.

You're not going to achieve much if anything by complaining.
    Originally posted by aussie in wales
    This is whatís happened.

They appoint from the top down and the higher scoring candidates were placed first.

There is no cause for complaint, Iím unclear why the OP thinks there is.

Theyíve got to him, offered him whatís available - either he takes it or they offer to the next appointable candidate.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 20th Sep 19, 8:02 PM
    • 3,636 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    steampowered
    I don't think you have grounds for a complaint here.

You have no guarantee of getting a job just because you've applied.

They could have simply rejected you. Offering you a job in another city is an alternative that you are free to accept or reject, as you wish.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,381Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter