Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • z1a
    • By z1a 15th Sep 19, 2:07 PM
    • 2,332Posts
    • 2,386Thanks
    z1a
    0 WOW
    Air conditioning for free by accident!
    • 15th Sep 19, 2:07 PM
    0 WOW
    Air conditioning for free by accident! 15th Sep 19 at 2:07 PM
    Just returned from a 2 week stay on Kos, one of the first questions we were asked on checking in a hotel was "Do you want air-con? at a price of €140". - €5 per night per room.
    I said we will decide after first night when we see if needed.
    As OH was unpacking I was mooching around apartment and I could see that 2 of the circuit breakers in consumer unit were tripped. Unit was accessible behind a clear perspex door that was just clipped shut, not locked. Purely out of interest I reset them and air-con units started up, temperature was controllable on keypad, so remote control not needed.
    Air-con was needed BTW, so left it on expecting to be charged at checkout, however receptionist checked our room bill at the end of stay, nothing owing, so good result, did feel guilty though, but they should lock the cabinets.
    Did re-trip them as we left.
    Would you have volunteered to pay if not asked?
Page 3
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 16th Sep 19, 11:31 AM
    • 3,225 Posts
    • 4,493 Thanks
    JReacher1
    It’s one thing getting 7 chicken McNuggets in a 6 nugget meal - that’s a bonus.

It’s quite another reaching across the counter and taking another - because it ‘was there’

One is a honest bonus, one is deception.

Same applies for the 9 and 20 mc nugget formats also
    Originally posted by Calpol4life
    In fairness many people on this forum would disagree with you. If they received 7 chicken McNuggets in their 6 nugget meal they would return to Mcdonalds and return the extra nugget.

Apparently this is what honesty is
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 16th Sep 19, 11:55 AM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    Ganga
    I would have gone to reception if on arrival i was told that A/C is chargable and it was on when i arrived.
    Who wants an unexpected bill presented on check out.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Sep 19, 12:07 PM
    • 20,663 Posts
    • 122,801 Thanks
    maman
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Some people are just more honest than others but then we probably knew that.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 16th Sep 19, 12:58 PM
    • 7,239 Posts
    • 340,171 Thanks
    DUKE
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this. Some people are just more honest than others but then we probably knew that.
    Originally posted by maman
    Agreed, but how do we know that the 'honest' people are telling the truth?

Plus it is MSE
    Thanks everyone!
    • z1a
    • By z1a 16th Sep 19, 4:51 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    z1a
    Maybe the OP will be complaining next year about increase in holiday prices.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    No he won't, already booked and paid for, saving over £500 by flying from Edinburgh due to different school holidays.
    I suppose that's cheating/stealing as well.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 19, 5:06 PM
    • 23,637 Posts
    • 63,759 Thanks
    Pollycat
    No he won't, already booked and paid for, saving over £500 by flying from Edinburgh due to different school holidays.
    I suppose that's cheating/stealing as well.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Of course it isn't.

FTR - I did not accuse you of stealing.
    Nor did I accuse you of cheating.
    I've merely said what I would have done in your situation.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 16th Sep 19, 5:27 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    z1a

Would love to know your profession and employer with a thought process and morals like that.
    Originally posted by ToxicWomble
    Relevance ?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 17th Sep 19, 6:38 AM
    • 20,377 Posts
    • 47,241 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I'm awaiting the response from certain users with interest

Loads of hotels will "try it on" with guests checking in........stayed in a cheap and cheerful easyhotel recently.
    Tried to charge me for a tv remote (told me it was the only way to watch)......god forbid i had to get out of bed a couple of times and press the buttons on the side of tv
    Originally posted by couriervanman
    How dare you steal the use of the TV. Getting out of bed to press the buttons when you should have paid for a remote? Disgusting. You're on a one way road to hell with that kind of behaviour.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Sep 19, 6:57 AM
    • 23,637 Posts
    • 63,759 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm awaiting the response from certain users with interest

Loads of hotels will "try it on" with guests checking in........stayed in a cheap and cheerful easyhotel recently.
    Tried to charge me for a tv remote (told me it was the only way to watch)......god forbid i had to get out of bed a couple of times and press the buttons on the side of tv
    Originally posted by couriervanman
    How dare you steal the use of the TV. Getting out of bed to press the buttons when you should have paid for a remote? Disgusting. You're on a one way road to hell with that kind of behaviour.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Apparently that's common with some of the cheaper hotels.
    I was chatting to someone who was staying at an Easy(?) hotel in the UK.
    They said they had to pay for the TV remote - and WIFI.
    They were also told that if they wanted to leave their luggage before checking in time, it would cost £5.00.
    It made my hotel room - with no charge for TV remote, WIFI and a very pleasant "of course you can leave your bag until it's time to check in" response - look good value.

Maybe something for people to consider when looking at room booking websites.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 17th Sep 19, 9:43 AM
    • 4,203 Posts
    • 3,866 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    I’ve done this before, it’s not a big issue.
    Same with showers at a campsite that wanted 20p; there was a ‘test mode’ function on the flow controller that just turned it on for free.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 17th Sep 19, 12:43 PM
    • 19,733 Posts
    • 25,710 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    Same with showers at a campsite that wanted 20p; there was a ‘test mode’ function on the flow controller that just turned it on for free.
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004

Well done - you've just won the prize for posting the cheapest, cheapskate / stealing post on MSE.

Woooooooo. Look at the big man stealing showertime worth 20p from a campsite. Did you empty the toilet roll dispenser as well ?
    Last edited by Murphy_The_Cat; 17-09-2019 at 3:31 PM.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Sep 19, 3:32 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 22,365 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I paid extra for it in Cyprus once. There was no chance of of just flipping a breaker.

A workman turned up with an A/C unit and installed it in the wall.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Sep 19, 6:43 PM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 12,756 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    In fairness many people on this forum would disagree with you. If they received 7 chicken McNuggets in their 6 nugget meal they would return to Mcdonalds and return the extra nugget.

Apparently this is what honesty is
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    There are two differences though.
    By keeping the extra nugget you are not causing any financial loss to McDonalds as they wouldn't be able to resell it due to not knowing what the customer may have done to it.
    And secondly, the extra nugget was given in error, not taken in full knowledge of knowing that they were not entitled to it.

It's as your example stated. If the aircon was already on when you entered the room then that is the fault of the hotel staff.
    Turning the aircon on after telling the receptionist that they didn't want it is a different matter entirely.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 17th Sep 19, 6:55 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    z1a
    There are two differences though.
    By keeping the extra nugget you are not causing any financial loss to McDonalds as they wouldn't be able to resell it due to not knowing what the customer may have done to it.
    And secondly, the extra nugget was given in error, not taken in full knowledge of knowing that they were not entitled to it.

It's as your example stated. If the aircon was already on when you entered the room then that is the fault of the hotel staff.
    Turning the aircon on after telling the receptionist that they didn't want it is a different matter entirely.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Where did I say "I didn't want it." ?
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 17th Sep 19, 7:06 PM
    • 11,192 Posts
    • 12,756 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Where did I say "I didn't want it." ?
    Originally posted by z1a
    I said we will decide after first night when we see if needed.
    Originally posted by z1a
    So you declined it when checking it and isn't declining it no different to saying that you didn't want it at that time?
    • z1a
    • By z1a 17th Sep 19, 7:13 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    z1a
    And obviously fairly shameless about what you've got away with. You seem to feel good about it. I happen to disagree. Fortunately we're all different.
    Originally posted by maman
    Very pleased for you.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 17th Sep 19, 9:43 PM
    • 1,123 Posts
    • 1,842 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    Air-con was needed BTW, so left it on expecting to be charged at checkout, however receptionist checked our room bill at the end of stay, nothing owing, so good result, did feel guilty though, but they should lock the cabinets.
    Did re-trip them as we left.
    Would you have volunteered to pay if not asked?
    Originally posted by z1a
    So, you accidentally opened the door to the consumer unit, accidentally reset two circuit breakers and accidentally forgot to mention to the hotel staff that you had been using the airconditioner for 2 weeks.

However, you didn't accidentally forget to switch off the circuit breakers before you left and as you "did feel guilty", you were obviously aware of what you were doing was defrauding the hotel.

Does everyone in your family have the same ethics or is it just you?
    • z1a
    • By z1a 18th Sep 19, 5:20 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    z1a
    So, you accidentally opened the door to the consumer unit, accidentally reset two circuit breakers and accidentally forgot to mention to the hotel staff that you had been using the airconditioner for 2 weeks.

However, you didn't accidentally forget to switch off the circuit breakers before you left and as you "did feel guilty", you were obviously aware of what you were doing was defrauding the hotel.

Does everyone in your family have the same ethics or is it just you?
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    Can you read? I didn't accidently open the door, or accidently reset breakers. Tripped breakers were visible through clear door.
    Stated that if they charged, wasn't a problem.

Try harder next time!
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 18th Sep 19, 5:39 PM
    • 12,848 Posts
    • 28,531 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Can you read? I didn't accidently open the door, or accidently reset breakers. Tripped breakers were visible through clear door.
    Stated that if they charged, wasn't a problem.

Try harder next time!
    Originally posted by z1a

That poster does not need to 'try harder'.

We can all understand what they are saying - apart from you-apparently.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 18th Sep 19, 6:23 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 2,386 Thanks
    z1a
    That poster does not need to 'try harder'.

We can all understand what they are saying - apart from you-apparently.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Well they're wrong.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

7,369Users online

Martin's Twitter