Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 10:48 AM
    • 107Posts
    • 6Thanks
    shiwen55
    alleged sleeping on post
    • 15th Sep 19, 10:48 AM
    alleged sleeping on post 15th Sep 19 at 10:48 AM
    Hi all,

I'm a security officer for a French bank for almost five years.

I became ill two years ago while I was with them and they have all the doctor's advise and letters.

On Friday, instead of my regular post taking deliveries, they put me at reception which I don't cover normally.

The night before I was in severe pain that I took two codeines and in the morning of Friday, I was still in pain and when I noticed I had put on reception, I took another codeine before the start of my shift.

About 1 pm, I was so numb and tired that I put my head down, looking down for a few seconds. The client has seen me and alleged I was asleep. Now I have been suspended with pay to report to security head office on Monday morning.

What can I do? Any advice? Is my job at risk, knowing they're aware of my medicines side effect (GP has sent them a letter, as they requested) and I'm ill?

I am a member of the union as well and will contact them Monday afternoon.

Thank you,

shiwen55
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 19, 11:03 AM
    • 19,869 Posts
    • 50,453 Thanks
    elsien
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:03 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:03 AM
    If there are issues about you being unwell and your medication having side effects, if you're not up to carrying out the role effectively then there is a query as to whether you should have gone to work at all. I suspect it was rather longer than for a few seconds for someone to have raised it as an issue.
    Yes your job could potentially be at risk. You say you've been ill for two years - what have occupational health said about your ability to carry out your role?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 15th Sep 19, 11:08 AM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:08 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:08 AM
    Do they have CCTV covering reception?
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 15th Sep 19, 11:17 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:17 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:17 AM
    I agree, this is potentially serious and you need your union. If you were not fit for work shouldn't have been there. It doesn't really matter what your normal or regular duties are, you would have been too tired to work so the same thing would have happened - you'd have slept on the job. That is not something that is looked on favorably by employers, and especially not in their security staff! If codeine has this effect on you, have you asked your GP about alternatives? I appreciate that it can have side effects, but if sleeping at work is the result, you need an alternative - either call in sick or something that doesn't make you sleepy.

As a matter of interest, how did you get to and from work? Because if codeine does make you drowsy, you also shouldn't be driving.
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 11:21 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:21 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:21 AM
    If there are issues about you being unwell and your medication having side effects, if you're not up to carrying out the role effectively then there is a query as to whether you should have gone to work at all. I suspect it was rather longer than for a few seconds for someone to have raised it as an issue.
    Yes your job could potentially be at risk. You say you've been ill for two years - what have occupational health said about your ability to carry out your role?
    Originally posted by elsien
    I wanted to call sick night before, but I thought it should be okay, actually I was embarressed to blow out.

The client was leaving a meeting and just happened to see me, they were not watching me at all.

My GP has said there are times I should be resting and stay home. I could say my pain started in the morning (?) to cover my back, can I do that? So they had an obligation to send me home if I asked.
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 11:24 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:24 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:24 AM
    Do they have CCTV covering reception?
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Yes, they have CCTV
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    • 19,869 Posts
    • 50,453 Thanks
    elsien
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    I wanted to call sick night before, but I thought it should be okay, actually I was embarressed to blow out.

The client was leaving a meeting and just happened to see me, they were not watching me at all.

My GP has said there are times I should be resting and stay home. I could say my pain started in the morning (?) to cover my back, can I do that? So they had an obligation to send me home if I asked.
    Originally posted by shiwen55
    You also have an obligation for your own health and safety at work. You should not be waiting for them to send you home - as a manager that used to particularly annoy me, people drooping around and waiting for me to notice.
    Did you tell them at the time you were in pain and ask to go home? And you've not answered the occupational health question.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 15th Sep 19, 11:33 AM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Yes, they have CCTV
    So may you have been caught on camera?? Maybe they have evidence!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 11:39 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:39 AM
    • 15th Sep 19, 11:39 AM
    So may you have been caught on camera?? Maybe they have evidence!
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    َAlso if they check, they'd see for themselves it was few seconds I put my head down
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 11:40 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    You also have an obligation for your own health and safety at work. You should not be waiting for them to send you home - as a manager that used to particularly annoy me, people drooping around and waiting for me to notice.
    Did you tell them at the time you were in pain and ask to go home? And you've not answered the occupational health question.
    They were all in the meeting with client and Supervisor was on his break
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 11:41 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    Annoying? It's management fault. The amount of times I asked them to send me home but they didn't
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 19, 11:49 AM
    • 19,869 Posts
    • 50,453 Thanks
    elsien
    Annoying? It's management fault. The amount of times I asked them to send me home but they didn't
    That's my point. If you're not well enough to work then call in sick. Don't go in then wait for someone to send you home again.
    Although you need to be very careful because if you're expecting to be sent home regularly it does raise queries about your capability to continue with the role.

• shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 11:49 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    Guys, please reply, because I'm getting a picture of what I could be asked at the meeting. Thank you
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 11:52 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    That's my point. If you're not well enough to work then call in sick. Don't go in then wait for someone to send you home again.
    Although you need to be very careful because if you're expecting to be sent home regularly it does raise queries about your capability to continue with the role.
    Okay, so I can say my pain started while I was on duty and from previous experience I've had, no point in asking to be sent home because the management didn't agree before, excuses like they do not have cover. I think on top of my head, it's happened 2-3 times in the past year, so not regular to say unfit for job
    • harz99
    • By harz99 15th Sep 19, 11:55 AM
    • 2,937 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    harz99
    Hi all,

About 1 pm, I was so numb and tired that I put my head down, looking down for a few seconds. The client has seen me and alleged I was asleep. Now I have been suspended with pay to report to security head office on Monday morning.

I am a member of the union as well and will contact them Monday afternoon.

Thank you,

shiwen55
    No, contact your Union as soon as possible - companies don't suspend with pay lightly, you may well be facing severe disciplinary action!
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 12:08 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    No, contact your Union as soon as possible - companies don't suspend with pay lightly, you may well be facing severe disciplinary action!
    Originally posted by harz99
    Union line is Mon to Fri, otherwise I would. My meeting is at half ten Monday, far away, the only time I could contact them is after meeting
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 15th Sep 19, 12:13 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 4,692 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    َAlso if they check, they'd see for themselves it was few seconds I put my head down
    If you're confident, ask to see the footage yourself. That will put the matter to bed once and for all (parden the pun)
    • shiwen55
    • By shiwen55 15th Sep 19, 12:26 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    shiwen55
    Thank you,

Here's what I found on ACAS:

https://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6548

I will definitely ask them to check CCTV
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 15th Sep 19, 12:39 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Blatchford
    Goodness. You are a grown up. You decide when you are unable to work because of sickness. You don't turn up and wait for them to send you home. And you don't ask them to send you home and then get ranty because they didn't. If you go in with that attitude, that it is all their fault for not being telepathic and knowing you are too sick to work, then you are storing up trouble.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th Sep 19, 2:10 PM
    • 19,869 Posts
    • 50,453 Thanks
    elsien
    If your meeting is at 10.30, phone your union as soon as they open at 9.
    If it's an investigation meeting you have no right of accompaniment, but it may help you to avoid digging yourself into a large hole.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,960Posts Today

5,385Users online

Martin's Twitter