Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PJHilder
    • By PJHilder 13th Sep 19, 2:33 PM
    • 132Posts
    • 27Thanks
    PJHilder
    PAYE amounts after student loan paid off
    • 13th Sep 19, 2:33 PM
    PAYE amounts after student loan paid off 13th Sep 19 at 2:33 PM
    So up until last month I was paying off my student loan via PAYE via my umbrella company. The loan deduction was around 120 a week as I'm paid weekly. The PAYE amount per week was around 292.

Since I've had the student loan deduction removed my PAYE deduction has gone up roughly by the amount the loan deduction was. I was under the impression I'd be paying nearly the same amount of PAYE.

Has my umbrella made a mistake or am I just misunderstanding how it works?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • liz bartun
    • By liz bartun 13th Sep 19, 7:51 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    liz bartun
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:51 PM
    • 13th Sep 19, 7:51 PM
    If you put a 'salary' into a salary calculator it doesn't make any difference to tax/NI/pension contributions when the student loan is removed. But umbrella company pay can be quite different to a standard employee salary arrangement. You should really ask your umbrella company to clarify the situation.

Also, check your tax code hasn't changed.
    Ooh, when did I get that star?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Sep 19, 11:11 AM
    • 7,080 Posts
    • 5,335 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 14th Sep 19, 11:11 AM
    • 14th Sep 19, 11:11 AM
    You may be better posting on the Cutting Tax forum
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 14th Sep 19, 4:04 PM
    • 39,465 Posts
    • 163,551 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 14th Sep 19, 4:04 PM
    • 14th Sep 19, 4:04 PM
    Your student loan deduction is an amount calculated as a set percentage of all earnings (gross) over the threshold.

Once you stop paying your student loan, you won’t have the deduction, so your take home pay should increase by the amount that was going to student loan repayments. This is for PAYE, if you have dividend income the repayments may be calculated differently.

It does depend how the umbrella company calculates your income.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,700Posts Today

6,081Users online

Martin's Twitter