Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • minimalist baker
    • By minimalist baker 26th Aug 19, 9:56 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    minimalist baker
    Would you rather have no money and freedom or money and a job?
    • 26th Aug 19, 9:56 PM
    Would you rather have no money and freedom or money and a job? 26th Aug 19 at 9:56 PM
    I am in a position after 10 years of saving that we paid our mortgage off, it was very hard work and we were skint during this period and I was very unhappy at work but we got there and I was able to leave my job. Having no extra money has been difficult, we have literally been living on £700 a month.

I have spent the past year trying to build a business, but have failed to generate any additional income. But we have been treading water via a modest income from a side project that has covered the bills.

So as I look at whether I go back to a job again to lift the stress of having money but the prospect of losing the freedom to go/do when I want...

Would you rather have no money and freedom OR money and a job that you are unhappy in?
Page 1
    • username901
    • By username901 26th Aug 19, 10:05 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    username901
    • 26th Aug 19, 10:05 PM
    • 26th Aug 19, 10:05 PM
    Well you've done the best part and paid your mortgage off, so one major worry out the way.

What about a part time job to allow you develop your business in your time? It might take 2 or 3 years to make it viable, depends how determined you are.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 27th Aug 19, 3:56 AM
    • 2,719 Posts
    • 3,733 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 27th Aug 19, 3:56 AM
    • 27th Aug 19, 3:56 AM
    I would, in fact have, chosen money over freedom but do you really have freedom if you have no money to do what you want to do and are in fact struggling on a very low income? The stress of that worry must be wearing.
    I am retiring soon and will have financial freedom due to decent pension and savings which does make my employment years seem worthwhile.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 27th Aug 19, 4:52 AM
    • 12,250 Posts
    • 32,693 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 27th Aug 19, 4:52 AM
    • 27th Aug 19, 4:52 AM
    Part time work

Both me and Mr S now only work PT, he 3 days a week as a skilled tradesman, me 3.5 days a week on NMW. Both loving our work and places of work, earning enough to pay the bills, have a life and put a bit away and having most of the week to enjoy what we have
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • warby68
    • By warby68 27th Aug 19, 5:50 AM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 10,873 Thanks
    warby68
    • 27th Aug 19, 5:50 AM
    • 27th Aug 19, 5:50 AM
    You don't have freedom if you're struggling to pay the bills.

It would be middle ground all the way for me - either part time or flexible working and possibly some sacrifice of earnings versus job satisfaction, gradually building the freedom element over time.

Now you've cleared the mortgage, you have plenty of choices which don't have to be the black and white options of working 100% in a hated job or not working at all.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 27th Aug 19, 6:15 AM
    • 1,868 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 27th Aug 19, 6:15 AM
    • 27th Aug 19, 6:15 AM
    I am in a position after 10 years of saving that we paid our mortgage off, it was very hard work and we were skint during this period and I was very unhappy at work but we got there and I was able to leave my job. Having no extra money has been difficult, we have literally been living on £700 a month.

I have spent the past year trying to build a business, but have failed to generate any additional income. But we have been treading water via a modest income from a side project that has covered the bills.

So as I look at whether I go back to a job again to lift the stress of having money but the prospect of losing the freedom to go/do when I want...

Would you rather have no money and freedom OR money and a job that you are unhappy in?
    Originally posted by minimalist baker
    A faux dilemma.

Someone has to pay for your use of NHS, police, etc. You have to pay council tax on your mortgage free property. Side project providing extra income?

No freedom to treat yourself or loved ones, no theatre trips or holidays.

Most people find work tolerable in exchange for the benefits, some people love their work/ colleagues. Society wouldn’t function without people contributing.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 27th Aug 19, 6:57 AM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 3,215 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 27th Aug 19, 6:57 AM
    • 27th Aug 19, 6:57 AM
    Freedom is where you don't have to work but do so anyway. If you can't pay the bills or enjoy yourself due to money you aren't free.

My suggestion would be to work part time as a best of both worlds. You can then have some time to try and get the business off the ground without worrying about paying the bills
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Kayalana99
    • By Kayalana99 27th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 6,229 Thanks
    Kayalana99
    • 27th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    • 27th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    Totally agree what is the point of being sat at home all the time doing nothing? Because without money you can't go out and do things.

I'd rather work 60 hours a week and get a weekend free that I could enjoy with the money I have made, then not work and be sat around watching TV and not able to do anything.

Saying that, some people like doing nothing...so it's each to their own.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    • JohnDorian
    • By JohnDorian 27th Aug 19, 9:11 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    JohnDorian
    • 27th Aug 19, 9:11 AM
    • 27th Aug 19, 9:11 AM
    I don't see working as a lack of freedom. Regardless of my financial situation, my preference would be to work for as long as I can.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 27th Aug 19, 9:14 AM
    • 4,862 Posts
    • 12,183 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Also consider the benefits of social interaction ....even if 9/10s of the time colleagues wind you up
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 27th Aug 19, 9:52 AM
    • 19,325 Posts
    • 12,019 Thanks
    motorguy
    I'm happy to work.

I believe i add value, i make a difference, i have a good work / life balance and i get well paid.

I'd rather that than eke out a living with no money, even if i dont have "freedom" per se.

Freedom isnt worth the paper the word is written on if you've no money to do anything in all this free time.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 27th Aug 19, 9:56 AM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I could give up work tomorrow, but I enjoy the mental stimulus and the interaction with (most!) colleagues. I only work part-time though so I do have the best of both worlds!
    • Rabbit24
    • By Rabbit24 27th Aug 19, 10:25 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    Rabbit24
    If I went with my gut instinct I’d opt for the no job and freedom option. Time is the most precious resource we have and for many people, myself included, work is just a means to an end rather than a fulfilling, meaningful part of life. Believe me a week in front of the office computer is just as boring as a week in front of the telly.
    Only I wouldn’t sit in front of the telly all day if I didn’t have a job, but did have a small income, as there are loads of free or nearly free and money saving things I could do; cooking/baking, crafts, gardening, walking, library, local theatre etc.
    However, I don’t have any income other than from work, so I’m going down the part-time employment route, just dropped to four days and hoping to drop to three in a year or so, and then carry on that way until I retire. But if I had the choice it would be another story…
    • MEM62
    • By MEM62 27th Aug 19, 10:46 AM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    MEM62
    Originally posted by minimalist baker
    Why does is have to be either or?

Firstly, look for job that you like rather than one you hate and then see whether you can find one that is flexible enough that you can retain some freedom.

Either or is rarely the wisest choice. As with most things in life a good balance is often the best option.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 27th Aug 19, 10:50 AM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 5,174 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    You're not really free if you can't afford to do anything - you're imprisoned by a lack of money.

I have a job, and so am not (by your definition) free. But my job pays me money, and that money allows me to do anything I want. And my job only imprisons me 5 days out of every 7, whereas your lack of money imprisons you 7 days out of every 7.

So who's actually free?!? Me, rather than you, I feel...
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 27th Aug 19, 2:19 PM
    • 12,215 Posts
    • 10,784 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    If you have no money how can you do want you want to do, unless you want to join the ranks of the homeless beggars
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 27th Aug 19, 2:29 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 4,965 Thanks
    Marvel1
    I'm trying to figure out what freedom I would have with no money.
    • minimalist baker
    • By minimalist baker 31st Aug 19, 2:30 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    minimalist baker
    Thanks all, some good and interesting opinions for me to chew over.
    • HardCoreProgrammer
    • By HardCoreProgrammer 1st Sep 19, 3:53 PM
    • 148 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    HardCoreProgrammer
    It is not always a simple question of freedom vs money.
    1. What if the job gives you so much stress that eventually renders you ill and incapable of further work and/or enjoyment?
    2. What if the job takes over your life (e.g. google 996.icu) and leaves you with no spare time or energy to do what you want?

From my experience, we can strive to find one which:
    1. is bearable and does not take over our lives, and pays enough to have freedom outside working hours
    2. is unbearable and/or takes over our lives, but pays enough to quit and enjoy life before you have a breakdown

I am on option #2. Hopefully I can keep going for a few more years yet.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 1st Sep 19, 4:11 PM
    • 10,139 Posts
    • 35,374 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I have a job & money & very little free time but what I have I enjoy.

Son on UC, has loads of time to apply for work (just the word epileptic spooks potential employers) so no job, some time & sock all money. You can be disabled enough to not get work but not disabled enough to get anything else.

Both of us agree we like my way better.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,495Posts Today

7,533Users online

Martin's Twitter