Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westv
    • By westv 1st Oct 12, 10:22 AM
    • 4,885Posts
    • 2,464Thanks
    westv
    Advance Purchase Tickets if Train is Cancelled?
    • 1st Oct 12, 10:22 AM
    Advance Purchase Tickets if Train is Cancelled? 1st Oct 12 at 10:22 AM
    You can use the next available train.
    I assume this means you can use the next available train even if the next service is provided by a different TOC. Have I got that right? The T&Cs for AP tickets seem a bit vague on the subject.
Page 1
    • skivenov
    • By skivenov 1st Oct 12, 10:48 AM
    • 2,166 Posts
    • 2,435 Thanks
    skivenov
    • 1st Oct 12, 10:48 AM
    • 1st Oct 12, 10:48 AM
    Yeah, and they're generally fine about you using an alternative route if you have to. Always worth collaring the conductor when you get on the train if you have to change your route though.
    • Livingthedream
    • By Livingthedream 1st Oct 12, 12:51 PM
    • 2,530 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Livingthedream
    • 1st Oct 12, 12:51 PM
    • 1st Oct 12, 12:51 PM
    Here you go, from a kind member of another forum;

Advance ticket T&C's
    Whoa! This image violates our terms of use and has been removed from view
    • westv
    • By westv 3rd Oct 12, 10:06 AM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    westv
    • 3rd Oct 12, 10:06 AM
    • 3rd Oct 12, 10:06 AM
    Thanks for the replies.

I had a look through that link posted but, as far as I can see, nowhere does it specifically mention the use of AP tickets on other TOCs when a train is cancelled. Am I being blind?! I accept that passengers can do so (it would be ridiculous if they couldn't) but the rules just seem to continue to be vague on the subject.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Oct 12, 10:39 AM
    • 10,121 Posts
    • 12,767 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 3rd Oct 12, 10:39 AM
    • 3rd Oct 12, 10:39 AM
    A ticket that is TOC-specific cannot be used on another TOC unless the other TOC is allowing travel, which will often be the case during major disruptions, but not necessarily so if only one train is cancelled.

"Next available train" means precisely that - next train that is available to you with your ticket restrictions, not any train.

Guards and Travel Centres can check with their TOC's Retail Control whether tickets are inter-available.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • westv
    • By westv 3rd Oct 12, 10:46 AM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    westv
    • 3rd Oct 12, 10:46 AM
    • 3rd Oct 12, 10:46 AM
    A ticket that is TOC-specific cannot be used on another TOC unless the other TOC is allowing travel, which will often be the case during major disruptions, but not necessarily so if only one train is cancelled.

"Next available train" means precisely that - next train that is available to you with your ticket restrictions, not any train.

Guards and Travel Centres can check with their TOC's Retail Control whether tickets are inter-available.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    So what happens if the next train with that particular TOC is two or three hours later?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Oct 12, 11:00 AM
    • 10,121 Posts
    • 12,767 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 3rd Oct 12, 11:00 AM
    • 3rd Oct 12, 11:00 AM
    So what happens if the next train with that particular TOC is two or three hours later?
    Originally posted by westv
    You have a two or three hour wait. If you want to travel on any train if your train is cancelled, don't get a TOC-specific ticket for a TOC with infrequent services. They're cheaper for a reason.

If this means you miss your final connection, you speak to the booking office staff at the station, they phone their Retail Control, the Retail Control phones the other TOC's Retail Control, and gets permission to endorse your ticket for travel on the other TOC.
    • westv
    • By westv 3rd Oct 12, 11:20 AM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    westv
    • 3rd Oct 12, 11:20 AM
    • 3rd Oct 12, 11:20 AM
    So you're basically screwed in that instance - no wonder the rules are so vague about the subject.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 3rd Oct 12, 11:31 AM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 3rd Oct 12, 11:31 AM
    • 3rd Oct 12, 11:31 AM
    So you're basically screwed in that instance - no wonder the rules are so vague about the subject.
    If you buy a cheap ticket to travel on a specific train company's trains, please explain why you think another train company should carry you for nothing.
    • westv
    • By westv 3rd Oct 12, 11:38 AM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    westv
    If you buy a cheap ticket to travel on a specific train company's trains, please explain why you think another train company should carry you for nothing.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Because I say so.

Tickets for a specific TOC aren't always cheaper. The fact that the service doesn't require a change of train can also be a big incentive.
    Last edited by westv; 03-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 3rd Oct 12, 11:50 AM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Tickets for a specific TOC aren't always cheaper. The fact that the service doesn't require a change of train can also be a big incentive.
    Althought there probably are some, I cannot think of any TOC specific tickets that are more expensive than non-specific tickets.

Can you please give an example?
    • westv
    • By westv 3rd Oct 12, 12:01 PM
    • 4,885 Posts
    • 2,464 Thanks
    westv
    Althought there probably are some, I cannot think of any TOC specific tickets that are more expensive than non-specific tickets.

Can you please give an example?
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    I've had a quick look and there are a few that are a or too higher. It was more the service being direct that would appeal more to me - especially at the thought of having to wait on a cold platform for a connection.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 3rd Oct 12, 12:11 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    It was more the service being direct that would appeal more to me - especially at the thought of having to wait on a cold platform for a connection.
    Well if you want the 'direct' route, you'll have to wait for that train, won't you?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Oct 12, 10:33 PM
    • 10,121 Posts
    • 12,767 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    How are you 'screwed'? You get to travel on the next available train operated by the TOC specified on your ticket. Or on a train operated by another TOC if authorised, which it is at times of major disruption.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 4th Oct 12, 3:36 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 4,346 Thanks
    epm-84
    Depends on the journey and the ticket restrictions.

For instance, for Manchester to Carlisle you might have a ticket marked "Virgin West Coast (VWC) + Connections" and your itinerary shows using a TransPennine Express service between Manchester and Preston and a Virgin service between Preston and Carlisle.

If the TransPennine service is cancelled you can use it on the next service to get to Preston (TransPennine or Northern Rail) but you must then board the next Virgin service to reach Carlisle and not use another operator's service on that leg.

On the other hand if you had a Manchester to Carlisle marked "TransPennine Express (TPE) only" then you can't use another operators' service unless a member of rail staff authorises you to do so (which they will if the next service by the same operator isn't until the following day or something.)
  • shark DB
    on a slightly diffrent note, how about if there is major disruption and all trains are running about 2hrs late on a basic half hourly service. If I'm booked on the 1700 can I get on the next train to the destination after 1700hrs or do I have to wait for the 1700 to arrive at about 1900hrs?
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 19th Oct 12, 10:52 PM
    • 10,121 Posts
    • 12,767 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    If it's an Advance ticket it's valid on the delayed 1700 service. But in such circumstances it is likely that you would be authorised to travel on another train by the same TOC.
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 21st Oct 12, 11:02 AM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 3,148 Thanks
    Sharon87
    If you train is cancelled and your journey is significantly delayed you can claim a refund or part refund.

I've had a journey on an advanced ticket where trains have been delayed/cancelled, and I had to take an alternate route, I was only 16 at the time and didn't know much about train travel, but my mum checked and they said it was fine. Then she left me to board my train, having to do a couple of changes on the way lol
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,433Users online

Martin's Twitter