Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 28th Aug 12, 4:50 PM
    • 2,594 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    Ditto

Great BT charging again yet another increase I think its 3rd on in 2 years well above inflation

Time to ditch BT finally I am sick of them constantly increasing line rental, sadly others always follow maybe dont ask quite as much as BT

I'd love to cut my home phone line off! I only use it for the broadband.
    Originally posted by onoski
    • popps1
    • By popps1 28th Aug 12, 5:32 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    popps1
    Landline
    Couldn't agree more. Myself and my son both pay full landline rental just to have broadband yet use mobiles. Shouldn't be necessary should be able to just have broadband somehow.
    • PrincessPlaty
    • By PrincessPlaty 28th Aug 12, 5:42 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 18,784 Thanks
    PrincessPlaty
    Only ever use the landline for calling 0800 numbers (i get 0870 etc free from my mobile). Only time it ever rings its either my mum or the MIL i dont even know the number for it!
    • lkmc01
    • By lkmc01 28th Aug 12, 7:39 PM
    • 957 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    lkmc01
    When I'm at home I use my landline to ring other landlines as its free. There is no point in using my minutes from my mobile and hence having a higher mobile allowance package. I also use my landline for 0870 and 0845 as they are also free.

When I'm at home and want to ring a mobile I use my mobile as there is no need then for me to add the mobiles package to my landline.

When I am out I use my mobile for everything but only ring 0845 and 0870 when at home.

I find this is the best and cheapest way to keep my landline and mobile monthly costs to the minimum.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 28th Aug 12, 7:48 PM
    • 17,253 Posts
    • 26,865 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    Not having as landline No is sefish, why should we have to pay 15p Pm to call you? or 30p pm from a cell phone?. Majorly annoying.
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    I would say that it annoys the heck out of me if I only have a mobile number as it would cost me a fortune to call.

Any calls I make are from my home phone unless away on holiday and keeping in touch or very short important calls when I will use my mobile. I suspect this may be a generational thing as those of us of a certain age didn't grow up with mobiles
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • PlutoinCapricorn
    • By PlutoinCapricorn 28th Aug 12, 7:50 PM
    • 4,356 Posts
    • 3,025 Thanks
    PlutoinCapricorn
    Is the landline dead?
    It is for me! Mobile BB, cheap PAYG mobile phone work for me.

I use email for as my preferred communication, and otherwise text if possible as I detest talking on the phone.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Flybywyre
    • By Flybywyre 28th Aug 12, 8:16 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Flybywyre
    Pretty amazing really.
    I only have a landline because I need a fast internet access. I would really love to ditch BT for ripping me off. My last bill comprised of:

Payment processing fee: 5.67
    Late payment fee : 7.50
    No calls fee : 3.00

YES. THEY CHARGE ME FOR NOT USING THE PHONE!!!

I have NO CHOICE but to pay these outrageous charges for a telephone line that I do not use for telephone calls.

CAN THESE CHARGES REALLY BE LEGAL ?

And for the simple minded out there, please do not advise me as to how I can avoid the payment processing fee and late payment fee.
    I am sure there are some trains you can go and spot somewhere.

Regards
    FBW
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 29th Aug 12, 10:29 AM
    • 5,746 Posts
    • 2,577 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Have to keep my landline because a) mobile signals are very poor in my house
    b) no Virgin cable
    BUT to keep costs down 1. pay rental 12 mnths in advance to my ISP who then give me free E & W/E calls in with b/band package 2. use 18185 for all daytime calls 3. use SayNo to 0870 site for alternatives to 0844/5 or 0870/1 numbers whenever possible. & 4. send texts to mobiles asking mobile phone users to phone me since they nearly all get free minutes on contract!!!
    • Greybeard0151
    • By Greybeard0151 29th Aug 12, 5:03 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Greybeard0151
    With Plusnet, for 5 extra per month I can make virtually all the calls I need to, including to most EU countries. But then I know very few people who are totally hooked on mobiles
    Last edited by Greybeard0151; 30-08-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Omitted "extra"
    • JooFroo
    • By JooFroo 29th Aug 12, 10:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    JooFroo
    I have a landline which is used for broadband and all telephone calls, as they are free at evenings and weekends. I really object to calling a mobile as I have to pay - perhaps I'm just mean! My line rental, phone and broadband bill rarely exceeds 20 per month, but when my son was without a landline for a few months I really noticed the increase in charges as I had to ring his mobile.

Probably it's a generation thing - I'm 61, and only bought my first mobile about 12 years ago, unlike children now who seem to have them from a very early age.
    Last edited by JooFroo; 30-08-2012 at 1:48 PM. Reason: Omitted something in original post
  • libertino
    Broadband is the reason I got a landline. However, if I didn't have a landline I'm sure I'd spend much of the tenner-ish a month it costs on making calls from my mobile instead. As it is, I'm on a 1 a month TalkMobile contract with only 25 inclusive minutes, which is a bargain, so an individual call is usually free/cheaper from my landline (disregarding the flat fee).
  • libertino
    No calls fee : 3.00

YES. THEY CHARGE ME FOR NOT USING THE PHONE!!!
    Originally posted by Flybywyre
    I remember this from BT. Can't you make the minimum number of calls during times when it's free?
    • stevemcol
    • By stevemcol 30th Aug 12, 12:43 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    stevemcol
    And for the simple minded out there, please do not advise me as to how I can avoid the payment processing fee and late payment fee.
    I am sure there are some trains you can go and spot somewhere.

Regards
    FBW
    Originally posted by Flybywyre
    Bizarre comment! Go and moan about the obvious elsewhere if you don't want it discussed here.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • sd08aus
    Phone Hikes
    Everyone seems to be missing the nucleus of the problem - a landline is not really required for broadband - it has been this way for some time - eg WiFi hotspots etc - it would take very little in funds to expand and improve the network - How do you think the military and similar organizations get world wide super fast internet connections

Secondly even if you abandon the landline which is now defunct as are casset players and vinyl record players - the only thing that will happen is that the owners and ruling bodies will change tack and then constantly price hike or similar mobile phone costs and contracts

It is not enough to agree but for everyone to question and be aware and actually get off your butts and DO SOMETHING other than talk and plagiarize everything you think and do merely because you are incapable of simple abstract thought or an original idea without it being given to you or done for you

Things you may not realize - there is no economic crisis - there never was and here is an even simpler thought for all those idiots out there - if there was an economic crisis how is it possible for executive bonuses to be paid - movies to be made and their so called leading actors/esses to be paid the vast sums they do - I could give more examples but I would rather not strain the limited cognitive processes of people who can not and will not think for themselves
    • Norma Desmond
    • By Norma Desmond 30th Aug 12, 1:18 PM
    • 4,247 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    Norma Desmond
    Neither DH or I actually own a mobile phone apart from a 10 year old 'emergency' one that lives in the car......and even if where we live had decent reception we'd still choose not to own them because we're quite solitary people who don't want to be 'available' 24/7 or answer endless inane calls from work/friends/colleagues etc.

Landline does us just fine for the few calls we make/receive.
    "I'm ready for my close-up Mr. DeMille...."
    • stevemcol
    • By stevemcol 30th Aug 12, 1:34 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    stevemcol
    - I could give more examples but I would rather not strain the limited cognitive processes of people who can not and will not think for themselves
    Originally posted by sd08aus
    Off you pop then.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • sd08aus
    Off you pop then.
    Originally posted by stevemcol
    Thats what you got from that?????????????

Well I guess my point does not need any further explanation
    • shellsuit
    • By shellsuit 30th Aug 12, 2:24 PM
    • 23,017 Posts
    • 41,912 Thanks
    shellsuit
    We only use our landline for the BB and for making 0800 and 0844/0845 etc calls.

We could cancel the landline with regards to BB as we're with Virgin and you don't need a landline for their BB, but we'd only save about 4 a month, so we may aswell keep it for calling the numbers above and for emergencies, ie dead mobile or no signal.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • jud!th
    No-one ever rings our landline except people trying to sell us things. And my 96 year old grandmother who has pressed the wrong speed dial button and doesn't want to speak to us (and refuses when we try).

People who ring my mobile actually want to speak to me, and I can see who's calling anyway, in case I don't want to speak to them...

I tried to get virginmedia to cancel our landline the other day and only supply us with broadband. The conclusion of the call (after I threatened to leave altogether) was that I could get broadband only (M) for 22.50 a month, or broadband and phone (L) for 21 a month. He said if I didn't want a landline just unplug it. But since we now get free calls after 7pm and at weekends on the landline, we've just turned off the ringer. I wonder why it was in their interests to keep me with a landline when I didn't want one?
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 31st Aug 12, 9:10 AM
    • 8,116 Posts
    • 42,310 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Everyone seems to be missing the nucleus of the problem - a landline is not really required for broadband - it has been this way for some time - eg WiFi hotspots etc - it would take very little in funds to expand and improve the network - How do you think the military and similar organizations get world wide super fast internet connections

Secondly even if you abandon the landline which is now defunct as are casset players and vinyl record players - the only thing that will happen is that the owners and ruling bodies will change tack and then constantly price hike or similar mobile phone costs and contracts

It is not enough to agree but for everyone to question and be aware and actually get off your butts and DO SOMETHING other than talk and plagiarize everything you think and do merely because you are incapable of simple abstract thought or an original idea without it being given to you or done for you

Things you may not realize - there is no economic crisis - there never was and here is an even simpler thought for all those idiots out there - if there was an economic crisis how is it possible for executive bonuses to be paid - movies to be made and their so called leading actors/esses to be paid the vast sums they do - I could give more examples but I would rather not strain the limited cognitive processes of people who can not and will not think for themselves
    Originally posted by sd08aus
    Small suggestion. Calling people idiots is not a very good way to win them on side when you're trying to persuade them of an argument. Also I would appreciate you following the rules at the top of this page "Be nice to all MoneySavers". If you can't do that, then I don't think this forum is for you.

Kind regards

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

3,425Users online

Martin's Twitter