Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • Hasty1991
    • By Hasty1991 20th Aug 13, 8:12 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Hasty1991
    I assume this is what you were told in branch? If so, you could go to a different branch or call them because I believe this to be incorrect. When I went to my local branch the staff didn't know how to open my student account as I already have a 123. After they spent 20 minutes on the phone with HQ they reported I could 'upgrade' my 123 to a student account.

There is nothing in the T+Cs to stop you opening an account, so make them aware of this.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    If you don't hold any student account (with any bank) you won't be able to open a student account with Santander after year 1.

Unfortunately you can't upgrade from a basic account either. Anything else, sure, but not a basic account or instant plus.
  • Sassypeep
    Santander Student Account
    I've tried to sign up for the Santander student account but have been told I can't as I am already a Santander current account holder and in my 2nd year of uni. On the Santander website it states:

"Apply in-branch if:

you already hold a Santander Current Account.
    you are in your 2nd year or above. We have a dedicated team who will mange the switch from your old account to the Santander Student Current Account."

I tried 3 branches in Sheffield and also rang their complaints team and have been told I'm ineligible for this. I did get 15 compensation for going into branch and then ringing to confirm the information on the website was incorrect.

I don't really need the overdraft so any ideas of the next best account for me?

Thanks
  • Sassypeep
    Sorry, just read the above posts. So not just me then!
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 22nd Aug 13, 11:33 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Interesting to hear. I'm not doubting your experiences. I do have a natwest student account (unused) as well as a 123 account, so said I was switching from natwest. It did cause a lot of confusion.
  • kaloss
    I already have other current accounts with other banks and I should be eligible to open a student account with santender since I am a student.
    I don't need another account so I was wondering which one of the following is feasible:
    1) Opening the account, getting the railcard and then close it
    2) Opening the account, getting the railcard, and then forgetting about the account (not paying in those 500 per term)
    3) Opening the account, getting the railcard and then move 500 in at each term and then move them back to my main account right after that

Is any of the 3 possible?
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 23rd Aug 13, 11:08 AM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Originally posted by kaloss
    This is the easiest option. No fuss.
    2) Opening the account, getting the railcard, and then forgetting about the account (not paying in those 500 per term)
    You can do this, but there's not much point. The 500 is simply required for the overdraft and other 'perks' that don't matter if you already have the railcard and won't use the overdraft.
    3) Opening the account, getting the railcard and then move 500 in at each term and then move them back to my main account right after that
    For the same reason above, there is also little point to this if you're not going to use the account.

However, you could apply for the overdraft, take 95% of the money out, put it in a savings account, and then transfer 500 in and out of the student account each term.
  • daisies79
    I went into a santander branch for the first time the other day. I had tried to open the student account online originally but because i'm second year, it said go in branch. So I did. I got to the counter and the woman could barely even bring herself to ask me to come to the till. I asked politely if I could open a student account and explained what had happened online. Without offering any help whatsoever, the first thing that came out of her mouth was, "we only offer railcards to first years". I worked at Nationwide for years and I know for a fact, I'd get the sack if I was so abrupt and rude like that. Her colleague tried to contest her and I explained I'd seen nothing on the internet that excluded certain people from ANY of the benefits. She did even offer to open an account for me any way. What an awful face for Santander. Now I have checked everywhere and seen no exclusions I am looking forward to A opening an account and B complaining about the awful service I received. No matter what kind of crappy day someones had does not entitle them to be rude to customers.
    • Cairez
    • By Cairez 25th Aug 13, 1:00 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Cairez
    I assume this is what you were told in branch? If so, you could go to a different branch or call them because I believe this to be incorrect. When I went to my local branch the staff didn't know how to open my student account as I already have a 123. After they spent 20 minutes on the phone with HQ they reported I could 'upgrade' my 123 to a student account.

There is nothing in the T+Cs to stop you opening an account, so make them aware of this.
    Originally posted by Herbalus
    We were told in branch and head office when my mum rang up and on my behalf posed as me and demanded to know why I wasn't accepted for a student account, head office said to us thy I am not eligible for a student account because I am already with them - they cannot even close my current account and make a new student account

Needless to say, I have opened another account with another bank (the co-op) and am leaving them for good.
    • Planahead
    • By Planahead 30th Aug 13, 1:03 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Planahead
    Santander - the worst customer service in branch and online
    My offspring has a healthy balance in their 16-18 account with Santander. Website said to swap to a Student account - call into branch. What they didn't say was that a] you need to make an appointment and b] Santander couldn't give a stuff about students. Like OPs the cashier was so rude and when I complained she told me the manager was busy. He was hiding in a cubicle around the corner so I asked to have a word - he was completely hopeless - he'd obviously heard the conversation with his rude cashier but didn't want to assist us. We weren't able to come back the next day for an appointment so went back home and went online. Followed all the instructions - screenshot gave an OLA number and it said my son would hear within 3 days - 10days and counting - we rang up and spent AN HOUR being passed from pillar to post - apparently his application had been declined! No explanation. Why not say earlier - he's going to Uni in a couple of weeks and needs to have this sorted. HOPELESS - needless to say - Santander will be losing this account.
  • penny_pincha

I don't really need the overdraft
    Originally posted by Sassypeep
    Just as well you don't need an overdraft. I accompanied my daughter opening a student Santander account today, she was offer a measly 250 overdraft. So much for their figure of 1500.

This was after going into branch last week after my daughter was assured on the phone she could open an account despite not actually being 18 then (she had her birthday yesterday) then to be told once there, she couldn't.

I wasn't impressed by the fact she had to conduct the meeting in earshot of other customers, so asked for a private room but the bank representative said they were busy. So I asked for one for this week but when we arrived she said again they were busy and the more private, out of the way desks were soon to be occupied. We were there over an hour and no-one came and sat at any of them.
  • penny_pincha
    I heard it takes 3 weeks for it to arrive, so wait that long.
    Last edited by penny_pincha; 31-08-2013 at 8:44 AM.
    • Hasty1991
    • By Hasty1991 31st Aug 13, 5:16 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Hasty1991
    Just as well you don't need an overdraft. I accompanied my daughter opening a student Santander account today, she was offer a measly 250 overdraft. So much for their figure of 1500.

This was after going into branch last week after my daughter was assured on the phone she could open an account despite not actually being 18 then (she had her birthday yesterday) then to be told once there, she couldn't.

I wasn't impressed by the fact she had to conduct the meeting in earshot of other customers, so asked for a private room but the bank representative said they were busy. So I asked for one for this week but when we arrived she said again they were busy and the more private, out of the way desks were soon to be occupied. We were there over an hour and no-one came and sat at any of them.
    Originally posted by penny_pincha
    Hi,

Your daughter will gain her full overdraft on depositing at least 500 into the account. This is an automatic process within 10 days/two weeks of the event.

You're very unlikely to get a private room to simply open a student account, the bank has other, more complex customer needs to meet also, i.e. mortgages, investments etc.

Get that 500 in and the overdraft will be on the way!

Thanks
  • DirtyLeeds
    Online Application Form
    Has anyone applied online - and filled in the ridiculously generic questions regarding Monthly Income / Outgoings

Surely most students will not have an income - certainly not first year students like my daughter.

I don't want to fill in the wrong numbers and get rejected

Her income will be Bank of Mum and Dad - plus minimum loan !
    • mucgoo
    • By mucgoo 3rd Sep 13, 6:10 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mucgoo
    Has anyone applied online - and filled in the ridiculously generic questions regarding Monthly Income / Outgoings

Surely most students will not have an income - certainly not first year students like my daughter.

I don't want to fill in the wrong numbers and get rejected

Her income will be Bank of Mum and Dad - plus minimum loan !
    Originally posted by DirtyLeeds
    Just treat the total of student finance + mum and dad as the income and say expenditure will be the same.

Mine's gone through fine with 700 a month in those ones.
  • MatureStudent72
    joined Santander as recommended.. THEY HAVE REMOVED O/D WITH 13 DAYS TO GO!
    Hi Alana, Please, please help. On Sunday I had my o/draft, on Monday I didn't. After contacting Santander by phone, was told to visit the branch. I visited the branch and after a bank staff telephone call to the underwriters, I was told it was simply removed!!!!! There is nothing I can do!! The reason...because I was very close to my limit and had been for a few months??? EH ? I'm a mature student with 2 children. The bank is credited every quarter with S F and then tax.credits/c benefit weekly. They took the 50 I deposited the day before and also my child benefit. The Assist. Branch Manager was v helpful but was absolutely stuck on any action he could have taken. I was given 2 options 1) leave the account untouched and arrange a repayment plan immediately 2) Request benefits back resulting in closure of account and account then sent to COLLECTIONS. I cried, begged for them to allow me 13 more days, when the SF would be credited and they wouldn't. I was NOT given any notice whatsoever and the bank confirmed they do not need too. After 2 hours in the bank, an agreement has been made that I must not use the account and if I ring the collections number, they will release my tax credit payment within the hour, then I must go into the branch to access. I have been with SANTANDER for over 20 years. Before starting F/T degree I was depositing my salary of 31k per year and both house sales totalling 50,000 have also been deposited......... They have left me high and dry. I am outraged. The Deputy Manager has appealed/complained on my behalf. To add insult to injury, it took 26 minutes to get through to collections to humiliate myself and ask for the release of my benefits. What can I possibly do?
    • malc_b
    • By malc_b 10th Sep 13, 12:10 PM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    malc_b
    My daughter has also had problems. Santander customer service is pretty awful. Eventually one woman in a branch took pity on her and is trying to sort it. She try putting in the application again, online, then system crashed so all redone on paper! One of things that came out was that she had been sent to appeal by the system because she already had a current account with another bank.

DUH! What century are you in Santander? Has nobody told them that you can't demand to be paid in cash these days so everyone who works must have a bank account. By definition all mature students and anyone who has worked will have a current account, so your system automatically rejects those.

Anyway, my advice to people having problems is make formal complaint - that is say "this is a formal complaint and I want you to record it as such". Once a complaint is on record, with reference and date, they then have 8 weeks to sort before you can go to the FOS. Any complaint that you take to the FOS costs the banks a fee so the threat of this tends to focus their minds on sorting the problem!

And remember that banks have a duty to treat customers fairly

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/being-regulated/meeting-your-obligations/fair-treatment-of-customers

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/being-regulated/meeting-your-obligations/fair-treatment-of-customers/who-tcf-applies-to
  • cdotr

Originally posted by penny_pincha

Santander website -

0% EAR (variable) Arranged Overdraft starting at 1,500 in years 1, 2 and 3 and then increasing up to a maximum of 2,000 in Year 5 with no Arranged Overdraft Usage Fees (depending on your year of study and providing a minimum of 500 has been credited to the account each term). Until you credit the required 500 the overdraft limit will be 250 (see note 1).
    Santander 123 cashback 2013: 31.45
    Santander 123 interest 2013: 64.64
    Santander 123 credit card cashback 2013: 57.45

Saving challange 2013 3750/5000
  • NervousHomeowner
    Seems like I'm not the only one who has had a nightmare of a time trying to open an account with Santander!

I went in over a month ago to open the account. I made an appointment, brought in all the documentation that was required and completed the application. The woman I dealt with said it would be back from the underwriters in 48 hours and she'd call me.

2 days later, she called me and told me that it had come back rejected.. because she'd forgotten to get something official from me with my address on it. So off I went back to Santander with my council tax bill which she duly took and said I'd get a call in 2 days.

Well, a week passed and I heard nothing. No call, no email, no letter. So I went into the branch and found that the original lady I had been dealing with was now on maternity leave. So I talked to a horrible, rude woman who refused to find someone for me to talk to, refused to look up my application and then told me that there was a 'backlog' on student accounts and that I should be patient and they'd call me.

So I went away and waited another week and still nothing happened, so I went back into the branch and talked to a different lady who, upon looking up my account, informed me that my application actually hadn't been sent off at all so I'd need to produce all my documents again so she could send it off properly this time. So I produced all the documents, completed the application again, brought everything you could possibly need and then was told I'd hear from someone in 2 days.

Again, days passed and nothing happened. So I went into the branch and was told by the same rude woman that I needed to be patient and they'd call me. So I went home, waited another week and still nothing happened.

So yesterday I went into the branch to check and make a formal complaint. I got to speak to yet another person about my account, only to find that this time, it had come back rejected because they hadn't put in my address history correctly! At this point, I just wanted to get my account sorted so they updated my address history and hopefully I'll hear from them in 2 days.

I am so annoyed that I went with them in the first place, I wish I'd gone absolutely anywhere else for my student account. They are the most incompetent company I've ever dealt with and If I get a measly 250 overdraft for all my troubles, I'm going to close the account and just go to Natwest.
    • leaphaze
    • By leaphaze 14th Sep 13, 5:21 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    leaphaze
    Santander website -

0% EAR (variable) Arranged Overdraft starting at 1,500 in years 1, 2 and 3 and then increasing up to a maximum of 2,000 in Year 5 with no Arranged Overdraft Usage Fees (depending on your year of study and providing a minimum of 500 has been credited to the account each term). Until you credit the required 500 the overdraft limit will be 250 (see note 1).
    Originally posted by cdotr
    So what is your advice to those where this hasn't happened?
    Wearing my other one today.
  • timz
    Santander Student Account
    I would avoid Santander at all costs. Both my daughters took out student accounts when they offered free gadget insurance. Now they are withdrawing the benefit with no warning and they have converted both their accounts to Graduate accounts without notification and, seemingly, just to remove the insurance benefit. Rectifying it means huge amounts of hassle - you have to go to the branch in person, they require letters from the universities and I have no confidence in them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,380Posts Today

8,432Users online

Martin's Twitter