Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • Riog
    • By Riog 6th Sep 12, 11:06 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Riog
    I have been trying to open a Student Account with Santander on behalf of my daughter and obtain the "automatic" £250 overdraft for weeks now. First, Santander took weeks to acknowledge receipt of her course confirmation and ID documents and then wanted copies of further identification documents. Account was opened then when she enquired about overdraft, she was told she had to go into branch to set this up as it is a "Student Account", although the Welcome Pack she received stated that the £250 overdraft was automatic and there is an allowance up to £1,500 when additional funds are paid in. I personally have my mortgage and loads of other accounts with Santander and am very angry about their blatant lies in the promotional material and have complained about this appalling customer service and my daughter has now asked to close the account. Annoying because she is off to uni on Saturday and I started the process weeks ago so the overdraft would be ready for when she went but this is now not going to happen.
    Originally posted by esgt1967
    Three days in a row i have been told on the phone my daughters account would be opened the following day and still nothing.
    Its been 3 weeks since we applied and she is going to Uni next Wednesday with no bank account, shocking from Santander to say the least.
  • Chunky_Monkey
    Opened a student account with Santander in May. My initial experiences were great- overdraft increased to £1000 as soon as I paid in £500 (although I was told I would get £1500) and I got the free £50 in July. However, last month I received two letters saying my overdraft would be reduced back down to £250 on September 1st but neither letter gave a reason. I rang and the guy on the phone, although very pleasant, had no idea why I had been sent these letters and when I went into the branch I was told 'don't worry those letters were sent by mistake, your overdraft will be fine'. The guy seemed very sure, so I didn't worry.

My landlord, yesterday, asked about my rent and I said very confidently 'it will have been transferred today' but decided to check my account just in case...lo and behold my overdraft has indeed been reduced therefore no rent paid > I rang Santander straight away and mid sentence was interrupted and told 'don't worry, that correspondance was a mistake' but was silent when I explained actually my overdraft has disappeared. Have now appealed (in-branch as couldn't do over the phone) and waiting to hear.

Am a bit worried after reading the stories on this thread :/
  • Boo bear
    Santander Student Accounts
    Having struggled with Santander for weeks now, initially upgrading a current account to a student account and applying the £250 overdraft (this took 13 days) and now still waiting for the updgrade of overdraft after depositing £500 (so far 10 days), my daughter has bitten the bullet and opened a student account with Halifax.

The online appplication was very quick - no more than 15 minutes. They sent out a letter which she received 3 days later, asking her to take identification into the branch. She did this today and the account is now up and running with a £1000 overdraft facility (the amount she requested) and her card and log on details will be with us within 5-7 working days. They even gave her a copy of her account number and sort code, so she can inform Student Finance of the changes. Vote with your feet and go elsewhere
    • Riog
    • By Riog 11th Sep 12, 5:09 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Riog
    After 24 days had another email they had lost the id i sent them over 2 weeks earlier enough was enough , we opened a HSBC account.
    Santander simply the worst as most reviews on the internet clearly shows.
  • the_eternal_optimist
    Opened new student account on-line for daughter. Asked for ID to be posted so instead went into branch as thought would be quicker. There are 2 branches in our town, and advise in first was to post it direct since if sent through heir postnetwork may take ages and no appointment available for few days as people on holiday...... tried the other branch and very helpful staff and was served immediately. Used the previous online application data and opened account within 10 minutes. Cards etc arived within 5 days so quick and no problem at all. Conclusion, very patchy support and knowledge from staff but if lucky and have good local branch, like we did, very good service....And like everything in life don't take no for an answer if don't get what you want first time !!
  • icklepeachybear
    Beware
    Unfortunately their not as grand as they like to make out......I've just closed my student account after 1 year of having one nightmare after the next & intend to shut all other accounts down too asap
  • yevsk
    My experience:

I went into a Santander branch in August to open one of these accounts. They had the £50 reward advertised everywhere in the branch, but after I had finished with the customer adviser, right after I had finished signing up, she said "oh, and the £50 reward doesn't apply to you because you have a savings account with us". Wow.

Also, I was assured by the customer adviser when I was signing up for the account that the full £1500 overdraft would become available after the first £500 was paid into my account. I asked her explicitly about this, and that is what she told me. I asked her again as I was leaving, just to make sure, and she said the same thing again.

However, after paying £2000 into the account, the overdraft amount remained £0 for two weeks. I had to go to the branch, and it was like I was signing up for the account again. I had to give all my ID and information, and I was told by the customer adviser that she would submit an application for the £1500 overdraft to the underwriters. I was very annoyed by this stage. I was told repeatedly that the only condition regarding the overdraft was that I paid in £500 per term.

A week later I was given an overdraft. But it is £500, not £1500. And it cannot be my credit score that is to blame for this, because I checked it earlier this year and it is "good".

My advice would be that nobody should open an account with Santander. They lie to people to get them to open an account, but once you have signed your name they will treat you like dirt.

It is ridiculous that Santander are allowed to advertise a student account with a certain level of overdraft and £50 reward for signing up, then once you've opened the account decide not to give you either.

How they get away with this is beyond me.
    Last edited by yevsk; 16-10-2012 at 9:35 AM.
  • clickjanet
    Santander Student Account Feedback
    Hi All,

My daughter upgraded her current account to a student account back in August. She was told by her local branch that she would have an immediate £250 overdraft which would go up to £1500 after first £500 would be paid into the account.

I have now had her in tears on the phone for the last week telling me that no overdraft had been set up at all.

As a new student (we are not financially well off) she went and bought things to decorate her room to make it feel more homely and not knowing that she did not have the overdraft, spent money
    from her student loan.

Well, situation now is she does not have the rent to cover 1st quarter, lkis crying constantly on the phone and to top it all off,
    she keeps going into Leeds branch (Leeds Uni) who are simply incapable to set it up. They have now for a week, 1st forgot to send the paperwork, then was told she'd receive a text Wed, which did not happen and today receives a text to say all now set up, but I told her to check the account 1st.

Low and behold, no overdraft set up.

I do not know what else to do. I simply do not have the cash to bail her out.

So, she has had the worst experience ever.
  • clickjanet
    Exactly the same thing has happened to my daughter.

They are to thick to sort it out.

I am so angry!!!!!
  • yevsk
    I've spoken to several other people who have had a similar experience with these accounts. Not one person I've spoken to so far has had the £1500 overdraft applied to their account when their Student Loans Company payments have gone in despite being assured that this would happen when signing up.

Everyone has had the same experience of having to go into a branch to apply for the overdraft then having to wait weeks, and not one has had the full £1500 applied. One girl has been given only £500 and is now in serious financial difficulty because she was relying on this overdraft due to a huge rent deposit for her student accommodation.

Absolute disgrace. Maybe Santander should stop paying sports stars millions to appear in their TV adverts and invest some money in sorting out their systems and training their staff for the benefit of their customers.
  • grumpyx
    Upgrading to a Santander student current account
    Things you need to know. My son upgraded his current account to a student one and as many have found there was no promised overdraft. Also as many have found when he contacted Santander he was told to go to the branch. When he went to the branch he was told to phone the student support. Eventually he phoned from a branch and the student support said he had to go to a branch. I got the branch to speak to the student support and after several minutes of argument the branch accepted responsibility. The branch made some changes but not fully solving the problems.
    What I learnt is that Santanderís process for upgrading account is flawed and does not work and ends up with the wrong sort code. No part of Santander will take ownership. Santander is so arrogant that they will not investigate their none working processes.
    The best advice is forget all the Santander helplines/branches/emails as they will just say it is someone elseís responsibility and instead write a complaint requesting a written reply and keep notes and keep chasing as they will try and ignore the problem. After 3 months Santander fixed some of the problems and put £80 in my sons account. I would have asked for more.
  • MrShazzyMan
    To be honest I only opened this student account with santander as they were offering £50 for free however after getting my second installment sent to the santander account then transferred to my main barclays account which is a normal account from where I pay bills I got £1500 in overdraft which I will probably never ever use but can come in handy.
    • StacFace
    • By StacFace 23rd Jan 13, 10:15 PM
    • 356 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    StacFace
    I'm a first year who opened a student account with Santander last August. I had problems getting the overdraft, first being told that you had to deposit the loan to get any overdraft at all. I actually loaded up the Santander website on my phone to prove that this was false, at which point the staff member went into a back area for a while, then came back out and said I could open an appeal to get it. I was told I should hear back within a week, so when I didn't I went back in, to be told there was no record of an appeal on the system. I therefore had to do the same thing again, though this time I did actually hear back and got the overdraft. This then did increase shortly after the loan came in to the full amount. I've had the full amount since.

In short I wouldn't recommend them to most people, as not many have the cash to pay for the term's rent, food/other essentials and Freshers' Week events themselves if the overdraft doesn't come on time and their loan is also delayed. This happened to me, even though I applied very early for my loan and had confirmation of everything back by March, so I'd recommend everyone to assume it will happen to them.
  • Tracy62
    Hmmm reading all this I'm surprised we had a very trouble free experience opening the account (in branch) and getting the overdraft. My son's problem has arisen because he noticed that new customers with no track record were now being offered £1500 overdraft whereas his had only just gone up to £1250 in his second year. He asked for an increase and it took them 2 weeks of faffing around and pushing him from pillar to post to finally send a letter out saying no. He has had an account with Santander since he was 15. Always stayed in credit when at school. Has made use of his overdraft facility on the student account but has never gone over the limit ever. As a long standing customer I was pretty annoyed that he is being offered a worse deal than new customers to the bank, although, having read the above threads it seems that the £1500 overdraft is a little elusive anyway.....
    • iAMaLONDONER
    • By iAMaLONDONER 3rd May 13, 2:18 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    iAMaLONDONER
    To be honest I only opened this student account with santander as they were offering £50 for free however after getting my second installment sent to the santander account then transferred to my main barclays account which is a normal account from where I pay bills I got £1500 in overdraft which I will probably never ever use but can come in handy.
    Originally posted by MrShazzyMan
    How did you change banks ,was it easy?
    • jimmy cricket
    • By jimmy cricket 17th Aug 13, 2:58 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    jimmy cricket
    Just come back from a Santander bank, trying to set up a student account with my DD. She was REFUSED!!!! but could be given no reason why this would be (it was suggested that it may be that the family have a bad credit rating, but being MSE stalwarts, have no debt at all, never mind a poor credit rating). The branch are going to appeal this, but frankly, having never been refused any kind of account previously, I really feel like advising my daughter to tell them that she no longer wants to bank with them.
    • Cairez
    • By Cairez 19th Aug 13, 12:23 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Cairez
    Warning! I went to Santander today with my basic Santander Current account hoping to switch to a Student Current account (to nab that awesome railcard offer) as described on their website, but because I am in my SECOND year of study at university I am unable to switch.

Even though it states here;

Apply in-branch if:

you already hold a Santander Current Account.
    you are in your 2nd year or above. We have a dedicated team who will mange the switch from your old account to the Santander Student Current Account.

What they actually mean by "old" account is a Student account with another bank.
    Because I did not switch to a Student account in my first year (which I was unable to do, because I would not have had enough funds to go into the account to validate having a student account) I am unable to open/switch or have a Student account in any form with Santander.

Even closing my current account and applying for a Student account now is not available to me. Just a warning for those in 2nd year and above.
  • clairebear114
    No joy at Santander
    Have just been with my son to open his first student account. Because he already has a santander adult account opened last year when he was 18, he is exempt, even though it is not a student account. He could upgrade to this but would not receive the railcard. Very disappointed as I have been a customer for over 20 years. They'd rather give to strangers than reward loyal customers.
    • jimmy cricket
    • By jimmy cricket 20th Aug 13, 2:59 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    jimmy cricket
    They'd rather give to strangers than reward loyal customers.
    Originally posted by clairebear114

...Or not! See my post above - most disgusted with their behaviour over this. It is beginning to appear more like an advertisement campaign, rather than a genuine offer. Sharp practice at the very least.
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 20th Aug 13, 3:54 PM
    • 2,373 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Herbalus
    Warning! I went to Santander today with my basic Santander Current account hoping to switch to a Student Current account (to nab that awesome railcard offer) as described on their website, but because I am in my SECOND year of study at university I am unable to switch.

Even though it states here;

Apply in-branch if:

you already hold a Santander Current Account.
    you are in your 2nd year or above. We have a dedicated team who will mange the switch from your old account to the Santander Student Current Account.

What they actually mean by "old" account is a Student account with another bank.
    Because I did not switch to a Student account in my first year (which I was unable to do, because I would not have had enough funds to go into the account to validate having a student account) I am unable to open/switch or have a Student account in any form with Santander.

Even closing my current account and applying for a Student account now is not available to me. Just a warning for those in 2nd year and above.
    Originally posted by Cairez
    I assume this is what you were told in branch? If so, you could go to a different branch or call them because I believe this to be incorrect. When I went to my local branch the staff didn't know how to open my student account as I already have a 123. After they spent 20 minutes on the phone with HQ they reported I could 'upgrade' my 123 to a student account.

There is nothing in the T+Cs to stop you opening an account, so make them aware of this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

175Posts Today

2,999Users online

Martin's Twitter