Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 8th Apr 11, 7:40 PM
    • 13,808Posts
    • 15,843Thanks
    squeaky
    Quick questions on Consumer Rights
    • 8th Apr 11, 7:40 PM
    Quick questions on Consumer Rights 8th Apr 11 at 7:40 PM
    Hi,

If you have a query that you think will only need a quick yes or no answer then feel free to ask it here.

Otherwise you are very welcome to start a new thread.

Whatever you decide... good luck
    Last edited by squeaky; 20-04-2011 at 8:49 AM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
Page 4
  • declanmc
    debenhams gift card
    Hello, today I have purchased a £20 debenhams gift card with cash. However I have now found a more suitable present and wish to return it. I have the original receipt and gift receipt, and have looked on debenham's website to no avail. Can I still return it?
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 2nd Jul 11, 10:48 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Hello, today I have purchased a £20 debenhams gift card with cash. However I have now found a more suitable present and wish to return it. I have the original receipt and gift receipt, and have looked on debenham's website to no avail. Can I still return it?
    Originally posted by declanmc
    You purchased it in a Debenhams store?

You can certainly ask them, no harm in that.

You have no statutory right to a refund, but maybe a contractual right exists.

Go into the store and ask nicely.
  • declanmc
    You purchased it in a Debenhams store?

You can certainly ask them, no harm in that.

You have no statutory right to a refund, but maybe a contractual right exists.

Go into the store and ask nicely.
    Originally posted by wealdroam
    Thanks for your answer! In the end I decided to just give the gift voucher anyway haha, felt generous.
  • bev 1967
    Hi

i bought a settee (leather) 7 years ago from a local shop where i live after 6 months i noticed the cushions on the settee were cracking went back to the shop the man that sold it tried to say thats how leather goes....but after 6 months said i was not happy with his excuse ...this settee cost us nearly £3000 told it was hard wearing top quality leather!!!!! he eventually agreed to sort the 2 cuhions out.
    about a year half later the same problem happened went back again excuses ...but gave us new cushions yet agian its happend stupidly as we know this man really well we felt we didnt want to complain ....but our settee has never been right.
    went back to shop agaian recently asked for the rep to come and have a look but the man at the shop said the rep says that there is nothing he can do...he has not even look at the sofa??? i know its 7 years old now but this sofa has NEVER been right.
    had a leather expert round he thinks the fault is when the leather has been treated ita been dried out too much.

just wondered do we have a right to complain? are we being unreasonable?

my friends have similar leather settees and theres are no where near as bad as ours i feel so mad we spent so much money when we could have had a cheaper one which would have looked a lot better.

hope you can help
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 11th Jul 11, 4:38 AM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 11,226 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Hi

i bought a settee (leather) 7 years ago from a local shop where i live after 6 months i noticed the cushions on the settee were cracking went back to the shop the man that sold it tried to say thats how leather goes....but after 6 months said i was not happy with his excuse ...this settee cost us nearly £3000 told it was hard wearing top quality leather!!!!! he eventually agreed to sort the 2 cuhions out.
    about a year half later the same problem happened went back again excuses ...but gave us new cushions yet agian its happend stupidly as we know this man really well we felt we didnt want to complain ....but our settee has never been right.
    went back to shop agaian recently asked for the rep to come and have a look but the man at the shop said the rep says that there is nothing he can do...he has not even look at the sofa??? i know its 7 years old now but this sofa has NEVER been right.
    had a leather expert round he thinks the fault is when the leather has been treated ita been dried out too much.

just wondered do we have a right to complain? are we being unreasonable?

my friends have similar leather settees and theres are no where near as bad as ours i feel so mad we spent so much money when we could have had a cheaper one which would have looked a lot better.

hope you can help
    Originally posted by bev 1967
    AFAIK, the statute of limitations is 6 years in england. Meaning you cant take them to a small claims court. This doesnt mean you cant complain however, just that you are relying on their goodwill. You really should have kicked up more of a fuss when it first became evident though and initiated a small claims file if they refused to remedy the situation.

Dont be afraid of taking a company to small claims if they refuse to honour your rights. Its relatively cheap and hassle free.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
  • Shriekum
    Help please?! B & Q v Trade counter
    Although I have subscribed to MSE and read advice off many forums I have never posted myself, so I hope I am doing this right....

Although I have not had the most positive experience with B & Q recently due to an ongoing dispute(which is now resolved) I still purchased a £4,500 Kitchen (interest free) from them at the end of May, which was delivered Sat 9th July.

On revisiting the store with my kictchen fitter on the same day it was delivered he collected his trade card from the trade counter buying a few bits at a large discount. The staff then asked if there were any other items requiring ordering and stated that they could offer upto 60% off B&Q quoted prices on kitchen cabinets and doors. Obviously I was amazed at this and said mine had just been delivered. The member of staff stated that the kitchen planner should have mentioned the trade counter discount when he visited my property and again when I actually placed the order in store. He did not and I even enquired when I ordered if there was any way I could get it cheaper. Furthermore she told me if it hadn't been delivered that day I could have let her quote me through the trade counter and I could have made the savings, changed the order and still had it on interest free, but all through my kitchen fitters trade card!
    I know quite a few people with trade cards so had I have been informed of this I could have used any of them.
    Obviously I am miffed to say the least and want to go into the store and demand my rights to money back, in fact I am waiting for the planner to call me back.. But do I have any grounds really just by the fact that he didn't tell me about the Trade counter?
    Can anyone advise?
    Why does it all seem such hard work?
  • Sir Henry
    Basic question - withdrawn offer
    Looking for LED lights I came across a website selling a 4' strip for 40p, rather than the usual £500 or so. Unable to resist a bargain I bought two. The order was accepted, but the next day I got an email from the company saying " I have been in contact with the supplier and unfortunately these items are no longer available to us
    I will cancel and refund your order today." Fair enough.
    But they are still advertising them (albeit at £573) and claim that they are in stock. I queried this and got the reply "Unfortunately we did not know until yesterday when I tried to order them for you that we were unable to get them anymore.
    I have sent all the documentation to the people who look after our website to remove the items that you ordered and also a long list of others that I was told about too."
    As the price has been changed they must have already contacted "the people who look after our website", which makes me think I'm being fobbed off.

Do I have any rights to demand the original order at the original price?
    • Forwandert
    • By Forwandert 14th Jul 11, 10:42 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 1,165 Thanks
    Forwandert
    Looking for LED lights I came across a website selling a 4' strip for 40p, rather than the usual £500 or so. Unable to resist a bargain I bought two. The order was accepted, but the next day I got an email from the company saying " I have been in contact with the supplier and unfortunately these items are no longer available to us
    I will cancel and refund your order today." Fair enough.
    But they are still advertising them (albeit at £573) and claim that they are in stock. I queried this and got the reply "Unfortunately we did not know until yesterday when I tried to order them for you that we were unable to get them anymore.
    I have sent all the documentation to the people who look after our website to remove the items that you ordered and also a long list of others that I was told about too."
    As the price has been changed they must have already contacted "the people who look after our website", which makes me think I'm being fobbed off.

Do I have any rights to demand the original order at the original price?
    Originally posted by Sir Henry
    No, they are under no obligation to sell to you at that price, by your post it's clear you are aware it was a pricing error anyway.
  • Sir Henry
    Fair enough. Thanks for the quick reply.
  • Mr Henry
    Hi 3 months ago i purchased a painting from an art shop (£150). The shop keeper told me if it did not look good on my wall i should bring it back and he will issue me a credit note. i bought it back staright away. None of the other paintings he had would be suitable for my home. He keeps telling me to wait until a picture comes in. That was 3 months ago and I'm still waiting.. he refuses to give me my money back and is getting quite rude also.. Can i get my money back.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 18th Jul 11, 3:17 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Hi 3 months ago i purchased a painting from an art shop (£150). The shop keeper told me if it did not look good on my wall i should bring it back and he will issue me a credit note. i bought it back staright away. None of the other paintings he had would be suitable for my home. He keeps telling me to wait until a picture comes in. That was 3 months ago and I'm still waiting.. he refuses to give me my money back and is getting quite rude also.. Can i get my money back.
    Originally posted by Mr Henry
    No you probably cannot get your money back... unless the guy offers it as a goodwill gesture.

Your statutory rights only cover you if the thing is faulty, or in some way not as described.

You have a contractual right, established at the time of sale, which allows you to have a credit note if the picture is not suitable.

It seems that the seller has done all he needs to.

For further information, have a look at MSE's Consumer Rights article.
  • darrow
    Can Severn Trent Water suddenly change my billing date without warning?

I pay twice yearly in March and September. They have just billed me 2 months early asking for payment in 3 days. The reason they give is "We have changed our meter reading schedules". I didn't budget for early payment!
  • Hollie Rose
    Definitely contact Apple and book an appointment to visit them at the store. If the IPod was under a year's warranty (which is was because it was brand new) there's no reason why they shouldn't replace it if it's their product that destroyed it. You've done nothing wrong in the situation, and it's at no point fault of your own so definitely don't let it go. Contact Apple. Be consistent. I would.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 22nd Jul 11, 2:26 PM
    • 18,661 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Definitely contact Apple and book an appointment to visit them at the store. If the IPod was under a year's warranty (which is was because it was brand new) there's no reason why they shouldn't replace it if it's their product that destroyed it. You've done nothing wrong in the situation, and it's at no point fault of your own so definitely don't let it go. Contact Apple. Be consistent. I would.
    Originally posted by Hollie Rose
    Hollie Rose, give us a clue... which post are you responding to?
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 7th Aug 11, 4:30 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hi krimith

I think that your problem would be best asked in a thread of its own because it may need more than a "quick" answer - so I'll move it for you.

Click on this link to join it:- Car dealer problems (gear change and replacement car)
    Last edited by squeaky; 07-08-2011 at 4:34 AM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • krimith
    Thanks squeky,But Anybody can help my question please.
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 8th Aug 11, 1:39 PM
    • 3,125 Posts
    • 3,357 Thanks
    littleredhen
    My dh bought some golf shoes in sale for £140 - should have been £240 - they started to gape at sides so took them back to a branch of shoe shop. Told they are faulty and offered refund but my dh wants a replacement shoe. Is he entitled to a replacement shoe rather than his money back?
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
    • derrick
    • By derrick 8th Aug 11, 1:45 PM
    • 7,161 Posts
    • 2,341 Thanks
    derrick
    My dh bought some golf shoes in sale for £140 - should have been £240 - they started to gape at sides so took them back to a branch of shoe shop. Told they are faulty and offered refund but my dh wants a replacement shoe. Is he entitled to a replacement shoe rather than his money back?
    Originally posted by littleredhen

No, they can give a refund which will put you in the position you where before you bought them.

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• SWD-MOR
    Hi, at the beginning of this year I started an OU course, when I did they gave me log in details and I discovered they had failed me on a course in 2007, even tho I was unaware of it. I signed up for the course but cancelled it before it started due to a split from my ex. I recieved no course materials or exam dates or any communication from the OU so had assumed it had been cancelled. I've spoke to the OU and they refuse to refund the money, delete the course history or let me take the course again or take a similar course. Should i take the complaint further and who do I go to if I do.
  • ebddon
    Travelodge sales offer
    I booked yesterday a cheap Travelodge room online. Though it is said that there is no cancelation reimbursement or this deal, does the rule of the 7 days apply anyway? thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,644Posts Today

7,549Users online

Martin's Twitter