Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 221
    • meoww999
    • By meoww999 19th Aug 19, 4:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    meoww999
    Under current rules, and I haven’t seen anything that suggests this will change, the thresholds remain the same whether you work part time, full time or not at all. So working part time means you are even less likely to reach the repayment thresholds.

If you left during the course the only immediate repayment would be for any loan that was paid to you to cover you for a period when you were no longer a student. So if you had received a loan in September for the winter term but left in October you would be required to repay part of that term’s loan. Everything else would fall into repayment at the usual time with the usual thresholds applying.
    Originally posted by silvercar
    That's brilliant thank you.

I thought that was the case re working PT and thus being unlikely to hit the threshold for repayment but thought it sounded too good to be true! I'll look into getting my course set up ASAP then.

Thanks again!
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 3rd Sep 19, 5:24 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    brettcta
    Can anyone point us in the right direction for assistance with parent learning allowance & childcare grants?

My wife’s just starting a PGCE and it’s taken ages for SFE to process her application.

She’s eligible for the full maintenance grant and we applied for the childcare & parent learning allowance as our daughter (2) will need to go into nursery whilst my wife’s on placement and uni.

We meet all of the criteria on the SFE website for the above funding but the wife’s finally had an email today from SFE to state that we’re not eligible for any of the funding because of our household income.

She’s called up and was told that the threshold is £25,000 - our household income was below this last year and will be lower still this year because she’s left her job to go to uni. We’ve called back now and the thresholds gone even lower - £13,xxx.

I’m getting the impression the 2 people we’ve spoken to don’t know their !!!! from their elbow. All the 2nd guy kept telling us is that the information on the website is generic. How can eligibility criteria be generic - you’re either eligible or you’re not. There’s no mention of ‘you have to meet these criteria, oh and by the way you have to be on a very low household income’.

Due to the time it’s taken SFE to process the applications, she’s called regularly and has been told that she was eligible but they’re just taking longer to send the letters. On the back of this we’ve paid a non-refundable deposit of £150 to the nursery to secure a place.

The first call today she was told that a letter was sent to her early August telling her she wasn’t eligible and they’ve just sent a follow up email today.

Can any one shed some light on what the eligibility criteria actually is and if we’re being given the run round. It’s likely that my wife’ll have to pull out of the course now as we can’t afford £600/month nursery fees and we can’t get anyone to mind our daughter for 5 full days whilst I’m at work and my wife’s at nursery.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
    • _shel
    • By _shel 3rd Sep 19, 6:36 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 4,320 Thanks
    _shel
    You mean maintenance loan not grant?
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 3rd Sep 19, 10:38 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 3,514 Thanks
    brettcta
    You mean maintenance loan not grant?
    Originally posted by _shel
    I did, apologies.

I managed to speak to a manager after yet again getting another set of figures from another advisor at SFE. To say they couldn’t tell their !!!! from their elbow would be too kind.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
    • MichaelD2019
    • By MichaelD2019 6th Sep 19, 2:55 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MichaelD2019
    Take loan for Lifetime ISA?
    Hi, I'm working part-time and about to start my postgraduate course (also part-time). I've managed to get my employer to cover my tuition fees and I get a good enough salary to save roughly £600 a month!

Is it worth taking the loan and using the money to top up my Lifetime ISA and another high-interest bank account which is roughly at 5% for the first12 months? Any advice on this would be great.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 16th Sep 19, 6:50 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 370 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    It sounds like your wife has an underlying eligibility to apply for the allowances but, as projected costs are offset against household income or a threshold is applied, she might have zero entitlement. The best I can suggest is send in everything asked for (evidence of children's ID etc) as requested and then wait to see if any entitlement is listed on your wife's award letter.

Can anyone point us in the right direction for assistance with parent learning allowance & childcare grants?

My wife’s just starting a PGCE and it’s taken ages for SFE to process her application.

She’s eligible for the full maintenance grant and we applied for the childcare & parent learning allowance as our daughter (2) will need to go into nursery whilst my wife’s on placement and uni.

We meet all of the criteria on the SFE website for the above funding but the wife’s finally had an email today from SFE to state that we’re not eligible for any of the funding because of our household income.

She’s called up and was told that the threshold is £25,000 - our household income was below this last year and will be lower still this year because she’s left her job to go to uni. We’ve called back now and the thresholds gone even lower - £13,xxx.

I’m getting the impression the 2 people we’ve spoken to don’t know their !!!! from their elbow. All the 2nd guy kept telling us is that the information on the website is generic. How can eligibility criteria be generic - you’re either eligible or you’re not. There’s no mention of ‘you have to meet these criteria, oh and by the way you have to be on a very low household income’.

Due to the time it’s taken SFE to process the applications, she’s called regularly and has been told that she was eligible but they’re just taking longer to send the letters. On the back of this we’ve paid a non-refundable deposit of £150 to the nursery to secure a place.

The first call today she was told that a letter was sent to her early August telling her she wasn’t eligible and they’ve just sent a follow up email today.

Can any one shed some light on what the eligibility criteria actually is and if we’re being given the run round. It’s likely that my wife’ll have to pull out of the course now as we can’t afford £600/month nursery fees and we can’t get anyone to mind our daughter for 5 full days whilst I’m at work and my wife’s at nursery.
    Originally posted by brettcta
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
    • JeffMason
    • By JeffMason 19th Sep 19, 7:22 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    JeffMason
    Hello,

I've got a pre 1998 loan, my freelance work has meant that I've never paid any off and I'm now two years away from it being written off. I've recently got a PAYE job though and my pay might go just above the threshold for deferment this year.

My question is, what's the top limit this year that you can earn and still defer? I read something about it being £30,737 but then somewhere else saw £32,347...

And will I have to pay much back? Is it related to how much you earn above the threshold? Is it a monthly payment? Will I just pay up until it is written off?

Thanks all.
    • Keeson00
    • By Keeson00 21st Sep 19, 1:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Keeson00
    Hello there
    I am in a tricky situation. I am currently in the armed forces and studying for degree in open university. Three years went fine with student loans but when i applied for this semster it was first accepted and now rejected. I have stayed in the United Kingdom for the last 15 and half year. My passport have the residence permit section 8(4). Now they student finance england is saying i can't apply for loan as per rules from home office. Any advices is much appreciated!!
    • EV1
    • By EV1 26th Sep 19, 2:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    EV1
    Student Loan Notice to Start Deductions Query
    Hi there. This is my 1st post so please bear with me! My company has received a letter today from HMRC stating that they need to start taking deductions from my pay regarding my Student Loan plan type 01. I have received no notice about this and have never had to pay contributions before. This loan was taken out for a PGCE course in 1999 and is with the Student Loan Company (SLC). I currently have 3 other undergraduate loans taken out in 1995,1996 and 1997 which I've deferred payment on until next year and these are the old mortgage-style loans. My understanding was that these had to be all fully paid off before I was liable to have to start making payments on my loan from 1999 (the plan 1 type loan). I have been in touch with Erudio who told me to contact SLC (though they were all with 1 company when I took out the loans originally). SLC are stating that I'm wrong and that I do have to make the plan 1 repayments. I'm really confused about this as I don't understand why I've not had to do so previously. Can anyone advise or help at all? Have the plan 1 thresholds recently significantly dropped by a massive amount, for example? Thanks loads!
    • _shel
    • By _shel 26th Sep 19, 2:13 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 4,320 Thanks
    _shel
    Hi there. This is my 1st post so please bear with me! My company has received a letter today from HMRC stating that they need to start taking deductions from my pay regarding my Student Loan plan type 01. I have received no notice about this and have never had to pay contributions before. This loan was taken out for a PGCE course in 1999 and is with the Student Loan Company (SLC). I currently have 3 other undergraduate loans taken out in 1995,1996 and 1997 which I've deferred payment on until next year and these are the old mortgage-style loans. My understanding was that these had to be all fully paid off before I was liable to have to start making payments on my loan from 1999 (the plan 1 type loan). I have been in touch with Erudio who told me to contact SLC (though they were all with 1 company when I took out the loans originally). SLC are stating that I'm wrong and that I do have to make the plan 1 repayments. I'm really confused about this as I don't understand why I've not had to do so previously. Can anyone advise or help at all? Have the plan 1 thresholds recently significantly dropped by a massive amount, for example? Thanks loads!
    Originally posted by EV1
    If you earn enough you pay your loan. Whoever told you your other loans had to be cleared was wrong. The earning threshold changed and can be found on the government website.
    • EV1
    • By EV1 26th Sep 19, 3:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    EV1
    If you earn enough you pay your loan. Whoever told you your other loans had to be cleared was wrong. The earning threshold changed and can be found on the government website.
    Originally posted by _shel
    Thanks for the reply. I must have been mistaken then but it's not the sort of thing I normally get wrong. I'll have to look back 20 years for my original paperwork - obviously then it was just the 1 company I was dealing with before the mortgage style loans got sold off. It is odd though, as I've earned above the threshold for the PGCE loan before and not had to pay that one back. Maybe that was because I was possibly paying the other ones back at that point. I've literally had no communication from the Student Loans Company since 2013, no annual statement or anything and then suddenly my employer gets this letter. It would have been nice if they'd had notified me too!
    • _shel
    • By _shel 26th Sep 19, 3:50 PM
    • 2,350 Posts
    • 4,320 Thanks
    _shel
    Have they always had your current address? You definitely should have been getting statements.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 26th Sep 19, 5:57 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Thanks for the reply. I must have been mistaken then but it's not the sort of thing I normally get wrong. I'll have to look back 20 years for my original paperwork - obviously then it was just the 1 company I was dealing with before the mortgage style loans got sold off. It is odd though, as I've earned above the threshold for the PGCE loan before and not had to pay that one back. Maybe that was because I was possibly paying the other ones back at that point. I've literally had no communication from the Student Loans Company since 2013, no annual statement or anything and then suddenly my employer gets this letter. It would have been nice if they'd had notified me too!
    Originally posted by EV1
    There is the PGCE option for those who are repaying a mortgage-style loan and an income-contingent loan:
    https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20190510151441/http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678629&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

The historical Plan 1 thresholds are:
    https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20190510151410/http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678511&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL
    • EV1
    • By EV1 26th Sep 19, 10:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    EV1
    Student Loan Notice to Start Deductions Query
    [QUOTE=Ed-1;76317215]There is the PGCE option for those who are repaying a mortgage-style loan and an income-contingent loan:

Hi Ed-1. Thanks so much for your reply. The PGCE option was exactly my situation! I selected to pay off my mortgage style loans first (1995, 1996, 1997) and paid a fair bit of these off in the past (they are now with Erudio). However, quite a few years ago now my situation changed and I deferred these payments. I was of the understanding that I wouldn't have to pay any of the income contingent PGCE loan (still with the Student Loans Company) until after the mortgage style loans were fully paid off, even if these mortgage style loans were deferred. Do you know if I was incorrect? It's not that clear on the link above. As I said previously, this has all come out of the blue, the last correspondence I had from the Student Loans Company was in 2013 and I've never paid anything off previously towards my PGCE loan as far as I'm aware. They are now insisting that my employer deducts a contribution from my salary. Thanks so much for your help!
    • Ufito
    • By Ufito 27th Sep 19, 10:26 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ufito
    Hello! Wondering if anyone can help, I have a plan 1 student loan.
    I earn around £20000 a year, but I earn most of this amount only over six month of the year, however some months , my student loan payments will come at around £700 , I understand that I will be going over the threshold bit if the £20000 would have been paid over the whole year I would have paid a lot less...
    Is there a way to claim some of that money back?
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 27th Sep 19, 12:13 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    Ed-1
    Hello! Wondering if anyone can help, I have a plan 1 student loan.
    I earn around £20000 a year, but I earn most of this amount only over six month of the year, however some months , my student loan payments will come at around £700 , I understand that I will be going over the threshold bit if the £20000 would have been paid over the whole year I would have paid a lot less...
    Is there a way to claim some of that money back?
    Originally posted by Ufito
    No. Like National Insurance Contributions, student loan thresholds apply to a pay period. If you are paid monthly then the monthly thresholds apply. The only time you can reclaim is if you earn under the annual threshold over the year.
    • Ufito
    • By Ufito 28th Sep 19, 9:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ufito
    Thanks you Ed
    • FtbDreaming
    • By FtbDreaming 30th Sep 19, 11:06 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    FtbDreaming
    Afyer reading this thread I logged i to slc and my tax account and it looks like im due £225 refund from when ive paid during the years but not earnt the threshold over the year. Im goimg to ring then in the morning so fingers crossed i get my refund.

I'm working extra hours now so ill no doubt pay more before april but without reaching the threshold so I'll habe a nice little bit in april to request back too!
    • FtbDreaming
    • By FtbDreaming 1st Oct 19, 9:07 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    FtbDreaming
    Was on the phone for 15 minutes and got a refund of £231. Theu did try to fob me off saying i earnt over the threshold on a weekly basis some weeks but i stuck to my guns that i earnt under annually then she looked and refunded me straight away!
    • Unsuregraduate
    • By Unsuregraduate 1st Oct 19, 8:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Unsuregraduate
    Repayments or not if you have two jobs?
    Hi,
    I currently have a full time job and earn under the threshold (£25,000) for repaying a Plan 2 student loan. However, I am looking to get a part time job alongside this, depending on how many shifts I work a month I could earn over £25,000 from both jobs (companies not linked). From what I have seen online so far it seems that I would only pay back if I earnt over 25,000 from that one job? Is this right or do you pay from the combined total?
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

3,662Users online

Martin's Twitter