Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 20th Sep 19, 8:45 AM
    • 602Posts
    • 194Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News
    • 20th Sep 19, 8:45 AM
    0 WOW
    Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News 20th Sep 19 at 8:45 AM
    Holiday firm Thomas Cook has confirmed that it is seeking £200 million in extra funding as it attempts to prevent a collapse...
    Read the full story:
    'Thomas Cook worries? Here's what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Nick R; 03-10-2019 at 3:29 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 3
    • Moomin007
    • By Moomin007 21st Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Moomin007
    Fran Littler
    I have a P&O cruise booked through TC, Iíve paid a deposit and the balance is due next year. How am I affected?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 21st Sep 19, 11:59 AM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    Moomin007, you shouldn't be affected at all, you will simply pay the rest of your money directly to the cruise line
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 21st Sep 19, 12:09 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    Ironically it will cost ATOL £600 million to repatriate but only £200 million to keep it afloat
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    But if they pay £200m, and then it fails anyway, it'll then cost them a further £600m to repatriate anyway.

That's a hell of a gamble...
    • k-hkr
    • By k-hkr 21st Sep 19, 1:02 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    k-hkr
    I have flights booked with TC airlines and stupidly paid by debit card. I realise the only way to get a refund would be via the chargeback scheme. I separately booked hotel rooms for 4 of us in Mexico with Travel Republic costing nearly 4k. What is the score with those? Would the consequential loss of that cost be covered under the chargeback scheme?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 21st Sep 19, 1:07 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    No, the chargeback scheme will not help with the hotels, since the rooms are available and Travel Republic have not broken their contract. This is the danger of booking everything separately. You will have to appeal to the better nature of TR, I would assume their usual policy as stated on your documentation is 100% cancellation charges after booking?
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 21st Sep 19, 1:19 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    couriervanman
    I hope they don't go under....but i can see them going Monday morning after having a fire sale this weekend to get as much money in as possible
    • k-hkr
    • By k-hkr 21st Sep 19, 1:39 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    k-hkr
    No, the chargeback scheme will not help with the hotels, since the rooms are available and Travel Republic have not broken their contract. This is the danger of booking everything separately. You will have to appeal to the better nature of TR, I would assume their usual policy as stated on your documentation is 100% cancellation charges after booking?
    Originally posted by Alan Bowen

Actually, just realised, I only paid a deposit for hotel rooms and don't pay balance until November 2nd
    They won't be getting that then unless I can get altenative flights, which are sure to shoot up if TC go under.
    • James_B8
    • By James_B8 21st Sep 19, 1:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    James_B8
    I booked a flight and hotel through Thomas Cook at the beginning of the year but my ATOL certificate is issued in the name of Expedia Inc. my flights are with virgin Atlantic and the payment for flights was taken directly by Virgin atlantic from my credit card. The airline say they have my money and I am already “ticketed” so even if TC fail I have a seat on the flights.

The hotel is the tricky part. Thomas Cook day my booking is essentially through Expedia and they have just acted as an intermediary agent so I should be fine, Expedia refuse to speak with me even though the itinerary number supplied by Thomas Cook is an Expedia reference number - I can even get the Expedia automated phone line to accept the number and generate a new travel itinerary sent to me via email! I have also contacted the hotel directly and they say my booking with them was made by Expedia.

So I know I can fly - and I’m somewhat convinced, but not entirely sure, I’ll have a hotel to stay in - is anyone else in this weird in-between situation with expedia?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 21st Sep 19, 2:46 PM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    If the ATOL Certificate for the flights and accommodation identifies Expedia as the operator, then they are legally liable for the whole thing. I have to admit I avoid them like the plague as their Indian call centre is beyond frustrating but if all else fails, that is who has responsibility for everything listed on the Certificate. Looking kindly at them, they may have taken the view that whilst TC is still trading they don't want to tread on their toes and want everyone to stick with their agent.....
    • James_B8
    • By James_B8 21st Sep 19, 2:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    James_B8
    Well wishing to avoid Expedia was a major part in my choice to book through Thomas Cook (bitter past experience of their customer services), although on this occasion their involvement might turn out to be a blessing in disguise!
    • NormalforNorfolk
    • By NormalforNorfolk 21st Sep 19, 5:06 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NormalforNorfolk
    What happens to money loaded onto the Lyk prepaid travel card
    We used a Lyk prepaid card for our spending money for this yearís holiday and there is still a balance on the card which we have left on there to use on next summerís holiday (a Thomas Cook package - so maybe not!). If TC does go under can we still access the euros on our Lyk card?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 21st Sep 19, 6:58 PM
    • 3,871 Posts
    • 2,537 Thanks
    glider3560
    Am I correct in saying that Section 75 (for a flight only booking) would require the credit card company to pay the extra to get a new flight home if TC go under? I assume they'd also be liable for the EU261 compensation?

I have relatives abroad at the moment (due to return to the UK on Tuesday) and they're asking.

• mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 21st Sep 19, 8:10 PM
    • 4,211 Posts
    • 3,875 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    Have been mulling this one over, can’t seem to find an answer.

I booked flights only to LA next month, if they go under are the credit card company liable for the increased cost of the new flights or not under S75?
    I only ask as I know S75 covers a certain element of consequential loss.

I if course understand there’s no such thing as a free lunch, so we’d still need to pay the original flight price!
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 22nd Sep 19, 5:10 AM
    • 3,358 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    If your flights were with TC Airlines, then if there is a failure, you should be able to claim the additional costs through your card issuer. This works if it was a credit, not a debit card which would only provide a refund. If the flight was booked through Thomas Cooks but was on a different airline and you already have ticket details, your flights should be fine
    • Baled
    • By Baled 22nd Sep 19, 5:28 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Baled
    I booked a flight and hotel through Thomas Cook at the beginning of the year but my ATOL certificate is issued in the name of Expedia Inc. my flights are with virgin Atlantic and the payment for flights was taken directly by Virgin atlantic from my credit card. The airline say they have my money and I am already ďticketedĒ so even if TC fail I have a seat on the flights.

The hotel is the tricky part. Thomas Cook day my booking is essentially through Expedia and they have just acted as an intermediary agent so I should be fine, Expedia refuse to speak with me even though the itinerary number supplied by Thomas Cook is an Expedia reference number - I can even get the Expedia automated phone line to accept the number and generate a new travel itinerary sent to me via email! I have also contacted the hotel directly and they say my booking with them was made by Expedia.

So I know I can fly - and Iím somewhat convinced, but not entirely sure, Iíll have a hotel to stay in - is anyone else in this weird in-between situation with expedia?
    Originally posted by James_B8
    I am in the same situation. I spoke to TC on the phone and then my friend went into the shop yesterday and we were both told the same thing; 'It should be fine.' They wouldn't even call Expedia to check the hotel has definitely been paid but hey, why worry? It should be fine!

We paid TC at the end of June but who knows if they've paid Expedia? I've emailed the hotel but haven't heard back yet. I have a horrible feeling that when we get there we will be asked to pay again. I really hope I'm wrong.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 22nd Sep 19, 8:44 AM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 2,656 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Actually, just realised, I only paid a deposit for hotel rooms and don't pay balance until November 2nd
    They won't be getting that then unless I can get altenative flights, which are sure to shoot up if TC go under.
    Originally posted by k-hkr

You might only have paid for the deposit but its likely you are still liable to the hotel or Travel Republic for the balance. You need to read your terms and conditions.

Dont just decide against proceeding with the holiday and think it will only cost you a lost deposit.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 22nd Sep 19, 8:55 AM
    • 12,878 Posts
    • 28,617 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    We used a Lyk prepaid card for our spending money for this yearís holiday and there is still a balance on the card which we have left on there to use on next summerís holiday (a Thomas Cook package - so maybe not!). If TC does go under can we still access the euros on our Lyk card?
    Originally posted by NormalforNorfolk

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-7375183/If-Thomas-Cook-goes-bust-lose-2-400-Ive-got-Lyk-card.html

According to this it is actually held by Wirecard who are a German company so as long as they do not go bust you will alright.
    • smipsy
    • By smipsy 22nd Sep 19, 10:24 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    smipsy
    if they are going bust, when is it most likely to happen? Monday, or sometime during the next week, or is it something that can drag on for months? Assuming they don't get the money they want, of course.
    • k-hkr
    • By k-hkr 22nd Sep 19, 10:50 AM
    • 114 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    k-hkr
    You might only have paid for the deposit but its likely you are still liable to the hotel or Travel Republic for the balance. You need to read your terms and conditions.

Dont just decide against proceeding with the holiday and think it will only cost you a lost deposit.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap

Just read both TR terms and the hotels. TR terms say if cancel more than 7 days from holiday then just lose deposit and mentions cancellation charge of £40. The hotel go on about being unable to re-book rooms the closer you get to travel dates and escalating charges but to refer to travel agents terms. It does seem that it will be minimum charges but will talk to TR to confirm. Trouble is, to fulfil hotel booking means getting flights with other airline and they fly different days and TUI flights will no doubt shoot right up.
    • westiedog
    • By westiedog 22nd Sep 19, 11:34 AM
    • 174 Posts
    • 163 Thanks
    westiedog
    I booked a package with Thomas Cook which includes flights with easyjet - I have then paid easyjet for extra legroom seats directly. I have checked in on line and have my boarding passes. Spoke to easyjet today who say if TC go bust the flights will be cancelled and I will lose my money for the seats. I asked if I can pay to rebook the flights with the same seats and they say this cannot be done until TC confirm insolvency.
    January 2009 £52,000+ - Jan 2011 £48,218.11 Dec 2011 £44070.19 - Oct 2012 £41650.18 - Dec 2012 £40735.42 - Jan 2013 - £39456.01 - July 2013 £39288.17 - May 2014 - £35068.23 all interest free. Original DFD 2042-now 2027 say Payplan-I say 2021 or sooner. Oct 2014 - £33889.98 Sept 2019 £19035.47 October 2019 £0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

118Posts Today

1,158Users online

Martin's Twitter