Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Twointhebush
    • By Twointhebush 20th Aug 19, 7:22 AM
    • 92Posts
    • 8Thanks
    Twointhebush
    What % To Invest Myself Rather Than Use IFA?
    • 20th Aug 19, 7:22 AM
    What % To Invest Myself Rather Than Use IFA? 20th Aug 19 at 7:22 AM
    I'm due to inherit some money and I'll soon be meeting my IFA. What I'd like to consider before meeting him is should I set aside a percentage of the inheritance to invest myself, in order to avoid his fees? If I was to invest a proportion in Tracker Funds, Premium Bonds etc. I wouldn't need him to do that? I'd also fancy taking a punt on some shares, again I'd be able to do that myself I think? Or should I just stick with the IFA? I've already maxed out this year's pension and ISA contributions (I'm self-employed). Or is it part of my IFAs job to advise me on investments that he doesn't get a fee for, as well as those that he does?
Page 2
    • SonOf
    • By SonOf 13th Sep 19, 8:52 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 1,827 Thanks
    SonOf
    Wow. As you probably know they are about 3x that cost in the U.K.
    Originally posted by AnotherJoe
    Economies of scale and higher costs of regulation.
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 13th Sep 19, 11:47 AM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    Economies of scale and higher costs of regulation.
    Originally posted by SonOf
    There are also plenty of expensive funds and platforms in the US.
    The OP should understand the costs associated with his platform and the services and performance of the IFA so that a sensible decision can be made.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • JohnWinder
    • By JohnWinder 21st Sep 19, 10:54 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    JohnWinder
    And even worse elsewhere:
    https://shareholders.morningstar.com/newsroom/news-archive/press-release-details/2019/Morningstars-Sixth-Global-Investor-Experience-Study-Finds-Investors-are-Paying-Less-to-Own-Funds-Worldwide-But-Disparity-Among-Markets-Persists/default.aspx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,769Users online

Martin's Twitter