Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • minihaha
    • By minihaha 19th Sep 19, 2:42 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 0Thanks
    minihaha
    Watching/monitoring at work
    • 19th Sep 19, 2:42 PM
    Watching/monitoring at work 19th Sep 19 at 2:42 PM
    Hi
    Can anyone advise if being watched by supervisory staff at work is considered the same as monitoring, and if an employer should be notifying the individual that they are being monitored (watched)?
    By watching, I donít mean just checking the quality of someoneís work, more watching an individual generally from a distance. And also using informants to provide information about individuals.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 19th Sep 19, 4:25 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:25 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:25 PM
    Hi
    Can anyone advise if being watched by supervisory staff at work is considered the same as monitoring, and if an employer should be notifying the individual that they are being monitored (watched)?
    By watching, I donít mean just checking the quality of someoneís work, more watching an individual generally from a distance. And also using informants to provide information about individuals.

Thanks
    Originally posted by minihaha
    Really? You do know the definition of supervisory? How does someone supervise if they don't oversee the work and the people doing it. If you are doing your work correctly then you have nothing to worry about. Of course they don't have to notify you that supervisors supervise.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 19th Sep 19, 4:48 PM
    • 4,866 Posts
    • 12,197 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:48 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 4:48 PM
    Really? You do know the definition of supervisory? How does someone supervise if they don't oversee the work and the people doing it. If you are doing your work correctly then you have nothing to worry about. Of course they don't have to notify you that supervisors supervise.
    Originally posted by Blatchford
    I suspect the OP is referring to be watched whilst they are doing their duties or, more likely, should be doing their duties.

From what the OP has written it sounds like there have been comments made to the Supervisor about them using the internet or phone and the supervisor is perhaps gathering evidence.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 19th Sep 19, 5:02 PM
    • 1,869 Posts
    • 3,272 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:02 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 5:02 PM
    Hi

Thanks
    Did you not read the answers to your previous thread?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5982257
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered youíll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ĎLetís Make it Fair!í tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 19th Sep 19, 6:27 PM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 3,753 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 19th Sep 19, 6:27 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 6:27 PM

Originally posted by nicechap
    Indeed.

Having read both threads I think the OP needs to be more direct and say exactly what the problem is. I rather suspect "gettingtheresometime" may be along the right lines....

From what the OP has written it sounds like there have been comments made to the Supervisor about them using the internet or phone and the supervisor is perhaps gathering evidence.
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 19th Sep 19, 6:48 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Blatchford
    • 19th Sep 19, 6:48 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 6:48 PM
    Indeed.

Having read both threads I think the OP needs to be more direct and say exactly what the problem is. I rather suspect "gettingtheresometime" may be along the right lines....
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    So do I. Hence the comment about having nothing to worry about if there is nothing to see. But I think the poster needs to get a grip if they think that "being watched" by someone whose job description is "supervisor" is going to merit any defence to anything. But to be clear, there is no data law that prevents people using their eyes, and nor does the employer need to put up signs saying that managers might use their eyes.
    • minihaha
    • By minihaha 19th Sep 19, 7:58 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    minihaha
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:58 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 7:58 PM
    I realise I need to clarify:

I work in an environment that is very dated in its style of management. One of my Supervisors has been suspended and it is possible (very likely) the individual may be sacked soon. I believe the investigation has uncovered years of abuse by this individual and I have made a submission to the investigation, which could be considered as very telling about the whole environment and not just the individual.

I have looked on various websites and monitoring includes references to CCTV cameras, emails, phone logs, etc., which doesnít apply to me, and Iíve understood that they may have to inform you that you are being monitored. What I have read, though, doesnít include watching people- which can be quite extreme and intimidating where I work.

So, through my question I am trying to understand if they should be informing me that I am being monitored, so that it is formalised. And I do think they also use CCTV to keep a watch on people, when they see fit. But I don't think our HR department is aware of what goes on. They certainly weren't aware of the behaviour of the individual that has been suspended.

Just to add: I donít consider myself to do anything wrong at work, but feel vulnerable because of what I have added to the investigation.
    • minihaha
    • By minihaha 19th Sep 19, 8:14 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    minihaha
    • 19th Sep 19, 8:14 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 8:14 PM

Yes, I did read them. This is a very big company manufacturing a household brand, but I would say from my shortish time with the company there is a dark past and they have only just established a properly qualified HR team (of around 10 people)
    • minihaha
    • By minihaha 19th Sep 19, 8:23 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    minihaha
    • 19th Sep 19, 8:23 PM
    • 19th Sep 19, 8:23 PM

Just to add further to this- I have worked in manufacturing for around 20 years and believe the level of watching is extreme and appears to be unregulated, and have never seen it to the same level anywhere else.
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 19th Sep 19, 8:40 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Blatchford
    Just to add further to this- I have worked in manufacturing for around 20 years and believe the level of watching is extreme and appears to be unregulated, and have never seen it to the same level anywhere else.
    That's entirely up to the employer. Your opinion about it isn't relevant. Provided they comply with regulation about notices for cameras, they can watch you as much as they like. If you object to their culture, the obvious thing is for you to go back to an employer whose culture you like better.

And you might want to be cautious about making allegations of years of abuse when you've apparently, by your own admission, been there two seconds. Speculating on a possible disciplinary is not wise. It's nothing to do with you what you believe is happening. If you have involved yourself by making a complaint or giving a statement, then confine yourself to having done that and then get on with your job. You appear to think that HR is on your side and now they have HR you will have some sort of champions. They aren't on your side and the only people HR champion are the employers whose interests they are employed to protect.
    • minihaha
    • By minihaha 19th Sep 19, 8:53 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    minihaha
    That's entirely up to the employer. Your opinion about it isn't relevant. Provided they comply with regulation about notices for cameras, they can watch you as much as they like. If you object to their culture, the obvious thing is for you to go back to an employer whose culture you like better.

And you might want to be cautious about making allegations of years of abuse when you've apparently, by your own admission, been there two seconds. Speculating on a possible disciplinary is not wise. It's nothing to do with you what you believe is happening. If you have involved yourself by making a complaint or giving a statement, then confine yourself to having done that and then get on with your job. You appear to think that HR is on your side and now they have HR you will have some sort of champions. They aren't on your side and the only people HR champion are the employers whose interests they are employed to protect.
    Actually, been there 5 years. And also was a major focus for the individual. And quite close to others who I saw victimised.
    • minihaha
    • By minihaha 19th Sep 19, 9:30 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    minihaha

And, I am also a company person and very loyal and think there are good things happening for the company. And I'm hopeful I will get the chance to be involved at a higher level. But I've had to survive a lot of silliness along the way, and my company is on a journey to reform and improve.

My question was aim at understanding formal procedure for monitoring, in order to continue to survive. Please don't presume everybody posting is looking to avoid accountability or take their employer to the cleaners.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 20th Sep 19, 5:57 AM
    • 2,241 Posts
    • 8,621 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    either the job is making you paranoid, or they're a dreadful employer.

the answer is the same both ways. Not a good match for you.
    May 19 grocery challenge £100.79/ £200
    • Blatchford
    • By Blatchford 20th Sep 19, 6:36 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    Blatchford
    Actually, been there 5 years. And also was a major focus for the individual. And quite close to others who I saw victimised.
    You described your time with the company as "shortish", so I took you at your word.

It remains the case that your managers are allowed to watch you. It doesn't matter if you want to make a case or not. It's perfectly legal to watch you. If you are so unhappy about company culture the option is to leave.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 20th Sep 19, 7:59 AM
    • 4,294 Posts
    • 3,753 Thanks
    Undervalued
    I realise I need to clarify:

I work in an environment that is very dated in its style of management. One of my Supervisors has been suspended and it is possible (very likely) the individual may be sacked soon. I believe the investigation has uncovered years of abuse by this individual and I have made a submission to the investigation, which could be considered as very telling about the whole environment and not just the individual.

I have looked on various websites and monitoring includes references to CCTV cameras, emails, phone logs, etc., which doesnít apply to me, and Iíve understood that they may have to inform you that you are being monitored. What I have read, though, doesnít include watching people- which can be quite extreme and intimidating where I work.

So, through my question I am trying to understand if they should be informing me that I am being monitored, so that it is formalised. And I do think they also use CCTV to keep a watch on people, when they see fit. But I don't think our HR department is aware of what goes on. They certainly weren't aware of the behaviour of the individual that has been suspended.

Just to add: I donít consider myself to do anything wrong at work, but feel vulnerable because of what I have added to the investigation.
    I think you have answered your own question in the second paragraph. What you describe isn't unlawful. It may well be irritating, you may feel it is unnecessary but ultimately if a firm wants to pay somebody to stand and closely watch what another employee is doing they can.

As I understand it, they only have to "inform" you if they are monitoring via CCTV, email etc. Even then they can still do it as long as they tell you. I assume that legal requirement doesn't extend to watching in person as it is generally obvious!
    • kanosam
    • By kanosam 20th Sep 19, 8:29 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    kanosam
    You appear to think that HR is on your side and now they have HR you will have some sort of champions. They aren't on your side and the only people HR champion are the employers whose interests they are employed to protect.
    ..., I totally agree with that statement..

they can watch you and don't have to notify you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,570Posts Today

8,642Users online

Martin's Twitter